CPU cooler

roamdog

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2004
I am going to purchase an Athloin 64 3200+ and build a new system. But have never built from scratch before. How good/bad are the stock CPU fans that come with the retail boxed sets? I am probably not going to overclock but want to keep my options open. So, I think that I want to get a better and more quiet solution. I am NOT going to ever overclock enough that I want to go all the way to a water-cooled system or anything else exotic enough to be featured in Maximum PC. :)
Lack of noise is extremely important. What would you recommend as an ultra-quiet high quality CPU fan (that will not totally break the bank--do not mind spending a reasonable amount but do not want to spend more on the fan than I do on the CPU itself)??
Do I also need something called thermal glue or tape?? How does that work and is it hard to install correctly for a first-timer?

endyen

Splendid
The best quiet fan for the A64s is the stock fan. I am using the stock hsf and thermal interface material. I like to OC a little, and am running my s754 3200 @2.45. I run it at 100% cpu usage 24/7, using folding @ home. The highest temp I have seen is 52c.
A lot of that is probably because I have a psu with a 120mm bottom fan.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I wouldn't call the stock fan "ultra quiet" but it does work well. What you need to do is get a fan with a rheostat that allows you to turn it as low as possible while you monitor your CPU temp. That way, you can speed it up when you use the machine heavily or during the hot summer, but turn it down for quiet the rest of the time.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I recommend the Thermaltake Silentboost K8 if you're looking for a quality, quiet and effecient HSF and cooler combo. I've had no problems with it and it averages 32* or cooler at idle and 57* Max under load.

Da Worfster

AMD Athalon 64Fx-53
HIS Excalibur X800 XT PE with IceQ II Cooling
Asus A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset ATX AMD MB
1 Gig of OCZ 3500 unbuffered Ram
2 Western Digital 74 Gig Raptors in Raid 1
DVD ASUS 16X DVD
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A
CPU FAN Thermaltake Silentboost K8
Cooler Master Wave Master Case
Antec NeoPower 480 Watt PSU
SB Audigy 2Z Platinum Sound Card

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Lazerous

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
The Zalman 7000-Cu is also a great HSF. Not only quiet but cools other features on your mobo because the direction the fan turns. Large fan produces more airflow at a lower noise level. Looks nice too :)

<font color=green>AMD 64 3700+
ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
CORSAIR XMS (1gb) PC-3200
Gigabyte GF 6800gt 256mb
Audigy 2 ZS
2_36.7gb Raptors/Raid 0
Tt 480 watt PSU</font color=green>