Sign in with
Your question

Random Xp Lockups

Tags:
  • Hardware
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
November 2, 2002 12:52:08 AM

Can anybody tell me of a diagnostic program that might let me know what it troubling my computer. I started experiencing random lockups, and I don't have a clue if it is software or hardware related. I recently updated my bios to the most recent version and that didn't solve the problem, several clean installs, using most current device drivers on everything i have, according to my via hardware monitor all temps and voltages appear to be in line, don't HAVE A CLUE!!! So if anyone knows of some hardware diagnosis program please let me know! Thanks in Advance.. Joe

This is my system:
Athlon TBird 1.2 266
Abit KT7A-R
768mb pc133 ram
Geforce 2 Ti
Santa Cruz Sound Card
Realtek NIC
IBM 60g, Maxtor 40g

More about : random lockups

November 2, 2002 3:51:27 AM

I would suggest to take out every piece of add on card you have installed on your system. Reboot your machine and try it a few times to see if the system is stable. If the system is stable start place cards individually and try rebooting a few times before installing the next one. If the computer is still unstable after removing the cards check to make sure your memory is sitted properly and that everything is in place and restart your computer. If the problem persists even though you may think of it as unlikely but is possible is that the power supply is no functioning properly. Replace the power supply with a new one and see if this solves the problem. If that doesn't solve the problem then the issue is on one of the 4 things:
-Video Card(most unlikely but you never know)
-Memory (most likely so after the PS try this)
-CPU (average because if CPU is damaged the
computer would not boot)
-Motherboard (average likely to cause problems
update BIOS to see if that solves anything
first)

My name may be Jesus, but don't go around asking for miracles.
November 2, 2002 12:28:57 PM

Have you tried <A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/" target="_new">Motherboard Monitor</A>? Sounds like a power supply or memory problem to me. That would be what I checked first. Is there anything you changed recently on your system? Besides the bios. Also, are you running any particular programs when it locks up?

I'm not really stupid...... I just play one on TV.
!