Your question

Athlon64 3400+ 939 or 754x2?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
January 22, 2005 11:02:47 PM

Hi ya.

I noticed that THG did CPU charts and that the 3400+ newcastle is outperforming the clawhammer most of the time by an impressive margin. and pricewise seems like the newcastle is the best bang for the buck.

Heard a lot of unsure comments in forums about the 939 socket version of this... is the 939 in box version yet? and if not, is it better of a gamer CPU than the 754? Is it more expensive? Please note, I do not overclock.

Why are any of these versions of 3400+ impossible to find in retail places in box?

Looks like also that the clawhammer was slower than the newcastle.

What motherboard works with this? (754 3400 newcastle) Anything in NForce3/4 boards?

What is the best performing motherboard for non overclockers for 754 socket 3400? (It can even be a board for overclockers)

Thanks

P.S. is a 550 true power antec PS overkill or just right with this into a gaming system?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by avenqer on 01/22/05 08:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : athlon64 3400 939 754x2

January 22, 2005 11:27:51 PM

Quote:
Looks like also that the clawhammer was slower than the newcastle.

The newcastle runs 200mhz faster, so progs that prefer mhz prefer newcastle. The larger cache does have major advantages. It also allows the clawhammer to run faster, but you dont care about OCing.
Quote:
What motherboard works with this? (754 3400 newcastle) Anything in NForce3/4 boards?

Yes, just pick your favourite mobo maker, and buy thier nforce3 board now, or wait for PCI-exp on nforce4.
Quote:
Why are any of these versions of 3400+ impossible to find in retail places in box?

It is my understanding that the s939 3400s were a limited run, for an oem. Because they were not intended for general release, few mobos have the bios to support them.
January 22, 2005 11:42:37 PM

hi again thank you for that

was reading reviews and noticed people talking about the newcastle and about heat problems but after reading on it looked like he just used artic silver 5 and had to wait for it to set for the temps to get more comfortable...

but now i guess after reading a little im wondering about the clawhammer and wonder a) much would it have to be overclocked by to get near the same gaming results as the newcastle and b) will a stock fan and heat sink be able to hold a slight overclock with artic silver 5??? if not I guess I better start harassing the overclock forum and see if its worth overclocking... LOL
Related resources
January 23, 2005 12:02:58 AM

I have the newcastle 3200 s754. It is running 24/7 @ 100% cpu usage, under folding@home. My fsb is 222, but my temps never go above 52. I am using the stock hsf setup.
I suspect that people who are having heat problems are not using an Amd approved psu. They have a large bottom fan, which really helps suck the heat away.
A clawhammer will easily clock as high as a newcastle. On average, a 100mhz OC on a clawhammer, will give better perf than a newcastle at stock, with the same pr. I would call that more of a tweak, than an overclock.
January 23, 2005 12:09:58 AM

You shouldn't have to worry too much about the heat with an AMD. Most of the time you just get a nice after market HSF and air cooling is sufficient, which can't be said of the P4 Prescotts. With those you need <A HREF="http://calypshuile.chez.tiscali.fr/fabhi.htm" target="_new">immersed cooling</A>. hehehe

<font color=green>AMD 64 3700+
ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
CORSAIR XMS (1gb) PC-3200
Gigabyte GF 6800gt 256mb
Audigy 2 ZS
2_36.7gb Raptors/Raid 0
Tt 480 watt PSU</font color=green>
!