High-speed memory? Why not?

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Some news on DDR2:
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/display/20050123074809.html" target="_new">Kingston tests DDR2-866</A>
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory/display/20050123074809.html" target="_new">OCZ to release DDR2-733 and DDR2-800</A>

You know, there's one question that I have been asking me for some time now...

Why don't mobo makers support more extensive memory choices? For instance, why wouldn't Intel support DDR2-667 and DDR2-800? Don't they know how to? I was under the impression that there was very, very little that needed to be changed in order to support higher speeds of <i>the same memory type!</i> I would expect the difficulty to lie in the memory manufacturer's court... Why aren't the chipsets enabled to support DDR2 at higher speeds?

I mean, DDR2-667 (let alone DDR2-800) is far from mainstream now, but there is also no demand for those parts, simply because unless you OC, noone would buy those. And DDR2-800 hasn't even been JEDEC-certified - like DDR400 once wasn't. When Intel introduced Springdale, there were concerns about DDR400 being too difficult to achieve technically - but there was more demand because of support from Intel's newer mobos, and DDR400 became mainstream quickly. Why doesn't Intel push for high-clock DDR2? This would certainly give their platform a desperately needed boost.

<i>Hey, what about nForce5? Will it support DDR2-667? I think I read it somewhere that it would, but what about DDR2-800?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mephistopheles on 01/24/05 10:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Wrong forum...and you know it :tongue:

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I posted on the wrong forum, and I must admit to it. :frown:

It's just that...

I've tried, in the past, to post stuff in those forums, only to be disappointed. While the CPU forum gets a lot of hits, try to post on any of the other forums and you'll be lucky to get a response within a week.

Also, several other threads that are here simply don't belong here...