Intel - Desert to Jungle

Bx3mE

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2005
Intel has an hole bunch of processors coming up but how to know what to use??
This guide made it almost clear to me... http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041115/index.html
One thing i can not find is what CPU to buy? ;)

I have been reading for the last 14 days now speculating in my new system...
This i have:
ASUS P5AD2-EX (i925xe)
BTX - Case
24-pin BTX Power
Geil DDR2 (711)
Zahlman 7700b (Giant FAN)

I want:
EM64T,
HyperThreading,
Enhanced Halt Mode (C1E),
Thermal Monitoring 2

Wich performance spec. shuld i have (04a or 04b)?
Is the "J" bit (excecute disable) enabled on all EM64T enabled processors??

When i check in the list i dont see this explaind in a way that can make me buy the right stuff...

SL7L8 does not seem to have HT
SL7PZ Seems to be my choice but it has spec. 04A(85W) is this the best??
SL836 Seems to have it all but will cost about 250$ more

My first aim was on the 550J with EM64T (ET) but it does not seem to have HT enabled... (SL7L8?)
So here i am dryed out by the overheating intel desert suddenly lost in this jungle. Can someone help me to find what i need???

I beleve I'm not the only one with this question....

/Bx3mE

AMD101

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
Dont u just wish they had made all of their chips 64bit compatible, cool and quiet, and NX compatible from the start so u wouldnt be so confused:)

endyen

Splendid
You will need to get an "F" chip, like a 560F. They are available in Japan now, should be around soon. Enabling the exrta registers may not be too good an idea, as this would add to total thermal output.
How to change a baseboard heater into a blast furnace, in 1 easy (but expensive) lesson.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Kid plays with himself too much he saw master and his mind clicked to happy mode.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

tameanaka

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005
This answers a couple of my questions, but the s-spec doesn't tell anything about having thermal monitoring 2 or anything. Or do all the new p4s on s775 have the thermal monitoring 2 and enhanced halt mode c1e and such?

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
I just built a system almost identical to the one you are describing. You want any P4 with whats called E0 stepping. Any one with E0 stepping has enhanced halt state, thermal monitoring 2, etc... etc... Currently, the only ones available are noted with the J, as in 560J. The EM64T versions are not available here yet. And if you are going to wait until june, wait a little longer for a dual core EM64T chip ;) But if u want to build now, u'll have to settle for a J series like i did.