Q: SafeCracker without token ?!

Hi there

I can buy a SC without the token-mechanics in the backbox.
Makes it sense to play this pinball without tokens or do I loose
99% percent of the games´fun ?! It seems to be inpossible to get the
token-mechaniks, or ?!

Please let me know !

Thank you
Tom

Having a token pop out of the backbox, roll down the glass, jump off the
lock down bar and catching it is pretty dang cool.

I think the game will award points if no tokens are installed, but you might
have switch problems on boot up if the mechanisms aren't present.

Chris

Tom Altenbach wrote:

> I can buy a SC without the token-mechanics in the backbox.
> Makes it sense to play this pinball without tokens or do I loose
> 99% percent of the games´fun ?! It seems to be inpossible to get the
> token-mechaniks, or ?!

Are you sure it is missing the token dispensing mechansim in the
backbox? Or is it missing the token accepting mechanism in the
coin door? Ideally, you would want to have all of this equipment,
plus some tokens. I have the game with all the equipment, but I
only have six tokens! It is just barely enough, however:

1) It is really cool to have the token spit out of the backbox and
roll down the glass at you! I have my game loaded with US 50-cent
coins, which works OK (but it takes about 40 to 60 dollars worth to
keep the "tube empty" switches closed!

2) Every so often you want to play the multiball "Assault the Vault"
game, it is easiest if you have a coin-mechansim on the left side to
trigger the "Magic Token" switch. There are certainly other ways to
do this, just takes more work.

--Bob

Bob Ellingson bobe@halted.com
Halted Specialties Co., Inc. http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)

You can disable the token feature in the game's settings. Then errors won't
come up for the switches. Also if your game has the USA original door with
token mech, the game won't award a credit or anything for a token inserted
in the token chute. LTG :)

"TZ Clock Housings" <sales@tzclockhousings.com> wrote in message
> Having a token pop out of the backbox, roll down the glass, jump off the
> lock down bar and catching it is pretty dang cool.
>
> I think the game will award points if no tokens are installed, but you
might
> have switch problems on boot up if the mechanisms aren't present.
>
> Chris

at that point you get a credit dot for "token mech disabled"
But I would NEVER even think about buying a SC without the mech.
IMHO the game is worthless without it since it misses it's entire goal.
--
Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards
Hans Balk
> You can disable the token feature in the game's settings. Then errors
won't
> come up for the switches. Also if your game has the USA original door with
> token mech, the game won't award a credit or anything for a token inserted
> in the token chute. LTG :)
>
> "TZ Clock Housings" <sales@tzclockhousings.com> wrote in message
> > Having a token pop out of the backbox, roll down the glass, jump off the
> > lock down bar and catching it is pretty dang cool.
> >
> > I think the game will award points if no tokens are installed, but you
> might
> > have switch problems on boot up if the mechanisms aren't present.
> >
> > Chris

I have the tokens disabled on my game ( no tokens ) and don't get a "token
mech disabled" error. I do have what ever the latest ROM revision in it.
LTG :)

"Shoot 'M Again" <**NOSPAM**hansbalk@xs5all.BULL(change 5 to 4 and BULL to
nl)> wrote in message news:43249dd5$0$11080$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
> at that point you get a credit dot for "token mech disabled"
> But I would NEVER even think about buying a SC without the mech.
> IMHO the game is worthless without it since it misses it's entire goal.
> --
> Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards
> Hans Balk
> The Shoot 'M Again team
> www.flipperwinkel.NL
> www.shootmagain.nl

Hi!

I really don't see the problem here, the payout mech in the backbox is
not something advance! I will get my safe cracker in two weeks, so then
I can check to be sure, but I ain't it just 2 tubes and
payout-mechanism? That is the same that were used for old gambling
machines, and is not a trouble to find. In fact, I will check in my
safe cracker when I get it, and try to find the parts you need in a
gambling machine.

> I'm sure it's not rocket science, but it's not a direct bolt in from an old
> "one armed bandit" I'm sure. :)
>
> --
> Mike S.
> Kalamazoo, MI

You are correct, sir. Someone who has not seen the mech is going to see
that it is a special unit when they do....

Kirb

> I really don't see the problem here, the payout mech in the backbox is
> not something advance! I will get my safe cracker in two weeks, so then
> I can check to be sure, but I ain't it just 2 tubes and
> payout-mechanism? That is the same that were used for old gambling
> machines, and is not a trouble to find. In fact, I will check in my
> safe cracker when I get it, and try to find the parts you need in a
> gambling machine.

Well it's two tubes of a specific ID that matches the OD of the tokens which
are NOT standard sizes. Also, there are switches, and a slider solenoid to
dispense from two tubes and only dispenses one token at a time. All this
has to fit behind the translite and in front of the boards.

I'm sure it's not rocket science, but it's not a direct bolt in from an old
"one armed bandit" I'm sure. :)

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

That entire backbox assembly is an engineering marvel. A lot of work went
into designing that game, too bad they didn't make more "token pins".

Chris

"Mike Schudel" <schudel5@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I really don't see the problem here, the payout mech in the backbox is
> > not something advance! I will get my safe cracker in two weeks, so then
> > I can check to be sure, but I ain't it just 2 tubes and
> > payout-mechanism? That is the same that were used for old gambling
> > machines, and is not a trouble to find. In fact, I will check in my
> > safe cracker when I get it, and try to find the parts you need in a
> > gambling machine.
>
> Well it's two tubes of a specific ID that matches the OD of the tokens
which
> are NOT standard sizes. Also, there are switches, and a slider solenoid
> dispense from two tubes and only dispenses one token at a time. All this
> has to fit behind the translite and in front of the boards.
>
> I'm sure it's not rocket science, but it's not a direct bolt in from an
old
> "one armed bandit" I'm sure. :)
>
> --
> Mike S.
> Kalamazoo, MI
>
> Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
> W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
> M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

They re-used the mech in Phantom Haus, although it only has a single pay out
tube which is longer than the one in SC..

just plain Rob wrote:
> I remember someone here once said you can use US 50-cent coins in SC's
> chute. If true, it's way cheaper than buying SC coins for 3-4 bucks a
> piece...

You are going to need a lot of 50-cent coins to buy a new token
DISPENSER mech....if you can find one.

Kirb

audihere wrote:
> That entire backbox assembly is an engineering marvel. A lot of work went
> into designing that game, too bad they didn't make more "token pins".
>
> Chris

cool pin. I have had a few flow thru my hands and still have my
personal one. BUT...have you ever tried working in that back box?
Pulling the CPU or driver out? Etc...
4 words...
P.I.T.A.!!!

TThanks for all the answers.
I bought the machine, the seller gave me a "guarantee" that I can play
all modes without the unit. He told me that after completion of all the
tasks the famous multiball comes while pressing STASRT for the next game.

I think it is also possible to install a small switch instead the
coin-checker to use as "tokens".

Thank you

Tom

> I bought the machine, the seller gave me a "guarantee" that I can play all
> modes without the unit. He told me that after completion of all the tasks
> the famous multiball comes while pressing STASRT for the next game.
>
> I think it is also possible to install a small switch instead the
> coin-checker to use as "tokens".

Huh??? Yeah ok.

Hope you are getting the game for half price since it's only half there and
you have to bastardize the game to get it to play right. Enjoy only playing
half the game and cheating to be able to play Assault on the Vault. :)

You can always have someone standing nearby when you get into Vault
Multiball roll quarters down the pf glass to simulate the missing equipment.
:p

Personally I'd walk away from the deal. Missing topper...ok no biggie.
Missing wings...ok same thing. Missing token dispenser...adios!