Sign in with
Your question

need advice on new rig before I buy soon!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 25, 2005 2:19:03 AM

I am looking to build this system to last me for a while and be able to play new games with high res and eye candy. How do these system specs look?

A64 3000 s939
Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939
PNY 6800GT
Aspire 520W <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?descripti..." target="_new">at newegg, amps are in picture</A>
1GB Patriot Memory (2x512MB)
Lite-On SOHW-832S
Xaser 3 case

I will be doing overclocking, so does it look like this rig will hold it's own for a while? Thanks for any help.

More about : advice rig buy

January 25, 2005 3:13:09 AM

You may like the higher multiplier of the 3200, when OCing.
It's been a while since I got a Pny card, check in the graphics forum to see if thier support is still the shtts.
January 25, 2005 3:39:38 AM

looks like that PNY went out of stock today. I think I may end up going to the local best buy and getting the 6800gt for $379
Related resources
January 25, 2005 5:00:29 AM

yeah, came across that after I went to best buy site.
January 25, 2005 3:50:20 PM

I'd look for two gigs of RAM if you're future-proofing. :)  I've been contemplating upgrading to that myself. Of course not having the money to has been a rather large hinderance so far...

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>
January 25, 2005 4:31:36 PM

nah..I dont think it is a good idea... 2 gigs is not really necessary right now, so
- It will probably be cheaper when it will be usefull
- It will be useless for the motherboard that will use DDR2 memory for dual core.
futureproofing is more than wasted money in sleping parts waiting to be used...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
January 25, 2005 4:54:44 PM

Quote:
nah..I dont think it is a good idea... 2 gigs is not really necessary right now, so
- It will probably be cheaper when it will be usefull
- It will be useless for the motherboard that will use DDR2 memory for dual core.
futureproofing is more than wasted money in sleping parts waiting to be used...

Necessary right now? No, of course not. Nice to have and useful in the future? Definately.

Plus when you're dealing with a dual channel memory configuration it's easier to deal with two 1GB sticks than it is with four 512MB sticks. And no one wants to run a dual channel motherboard in single channel mode by only using one 1GB stick now so that they can upgrade easily later. So it's just easier to start with two gigs now than to upgrade later.

That is, unless of course the later upgrade is a new mobo and all new RAM. But most people don't go that extreme until they really <i>need</i> it.

<pre>I just want to say <font color=red>I wuv you</font color=red>.
And I mean it fwom the <font color=red>bottom of my hawt</font color=red>.</pre><p>
January 25, 2005 5:03:13 PM

I guess that our opinions are based on our upgrade habits, and both of them are valuable... And at the end they are just that ..opinions..

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
January 25, 2005 5:11:25 PM

Too true. All too true. To each their own.

Opinions are like bubbles, they all smell like ... wait ... that wasn't right, was it? How did that go? Life is like boxing with chocolates. Cleanliness is dogliness. Misery loves revenge. Hell hath no fury like a woman born. To err is human, to forgive sublime. Oh screw it. I can't remember how bubbles smell.

And I mean it fwom the <font color=red>bottom of my hawt</font color=red>.</pre><p>
January 25, 2005 5:23:15 PM

Wait! I remember now. Bubbles smell with their noses, of course! How could I have forgotten something as simple as that? I must be losing it in my young age.

Or to put it another way, I'll quote a snippet from the song <i>Mullet With Butterfly Rings</i>:
Quote:
<font color=purple>
The world is a campfire, sent to flame
Obvious illuminators, warm you after it rains
And what do I get, in this game
Endless desires, and opinions from every name
</font color=purple>

!