Paul

Splendid

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fish-Tales-Pinball-Machine-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ6207187756QQcategoryZ3947QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yeh ok other than the first glance Faded sides problem thats common with
these initial looks seem ok.

Not thinking of buying it, but doesnt it concern you that people sell
"Fully restored" machines with things as obvious as a chunk out of the
top Glass retaining plastic (5th photo down...). They arent expensive
and are freely available... Makes you wonder what the rest of the
machine is like!!

Least here in the uk we cont have to drive 000's of miles to pick em up :)

Rant over....

Paul

The seller never says it's restored, the seller just says that they sell
them for 995 when they are restored.

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

"Paul" <Paul@NOSPAMplanetcentral.net> wrote in message
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fish-Tales-Pinball-Machine-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ6207187756QQcategoryZ3947QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Yeh ok other than the first glance Faded sides problem thats common with
> these initial looks seem ok.
>
> Not thinking of buying it, but doesnt it concern you that people sell
> "Fully restored" machines with things as obvious as a chunk out of the top
> Glass retaining plastic (5th photo down...). They arent expensive and are
> freely available... Makes you wonder what the rest of the machine is
> like!!
>
> Least here in the uk we cont have to drive 000's of miles to pick em up :)
>
> Rant over....
>
> Paul

Well for a start it seems to be missing the flapping fish, carefully
cropped photos don't you think!

And look at the state of some of the playfield inserts now that the
mylar has been (carefully?) removed. Casters club '1' is obviously
totally screwed.

Boat plastic is broken bottom right corner, 2 clear plastics are
missing from the boat ramp.

Etc etc etc...

Surprisingly, not all collectors / restorers do not always look closely at
cabinet flaws, when they are rebuilt. Some people really do not care,
because if they own many machines, once they sit side by side, it covers up
fading issues, nicks, and scratches. It can be even hard to spot broken
rear glass mouldings, unless you pay attention. The more you evaluate
machines, the less cabinet issues get in the way.

I always look at machines from four perspectives (in order):
1) playfield quality
2) backglass
3) electronics (which can be readily fixed)
4) cabinet (which can usually be fixed)

Obviously they are exceptions with rare games or low production, as "cabinet
swapping" is not an option for hard to find games or games that have highly
detailed decals, dithering patterns and so on.

Unless a game is coming from a "hardcore" collector's home, many collectors
do not spend the time to retouch cabinets. Brokers these days certainly
don't, as they do not get much additional money by spending insane hours
doing so.

--
"The_Black_Knight"

The Washington State Pinball Stronghold