GPS & Palm T5

January 2, 2005 3:18:39 AM

Anyone aware of any recent magazine reviews covering Palm GPS solutions?

I was recently looking into this and have became interested in the
Rayming TripNav GPS unit and Mapopolis. If you have used either or both
of these products, I would be interested in learning what your
experiences were/are.

More about : gps palm

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 4:59:56 AM

egusenet@verizon.net (Eric) wrote in

> Anyone aware of any recent magazine reviews covering Palm GPS
> solutions?
>
> I was recently looking into this and have became interested in the
> Rayming TripNav GPS unit and Mapopolis. If you have used either or
> both of these products, I would be interested in learning what your
> experiences were/are.

I use Mapopolis regularly on a T3, and it's the best I've seen for
PalmOS. As for a T5, I don't know. You'll have to find a cable with
the new connector, and I don't know where you would find one of those.
Maybe the GPS you referenced has it. I use a standard Garmin eTrex
Legend, which works very well, and I can use it by itself without having
to connect it to my Palm when I'm walking. I would never buy another
mouse-type GPS with no display.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 8:56:36 AM

I'm also interested in purchasing a Palm T5 GPS device. I went to the
Palm website and saw their "Bluetooth technology-enabled GPS solution"
made no mention of T5 compatability. So I went to their forum and
posted there. No response. As a matter of fact, there were no
January 2, 2005 10:28:58 AM

Oh, I know the T5 is a bluetooth device. But the GPS device/software
mentioned on the Palm website states specifically that its compatible
with the T3.

No mention is made of the T5. So do I purchase it and see if it will
work on my T5? Has anybody else done that?
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 2:09:38 PM

"Stan Gosnell" <me@work.com> wrote in message
> egusenet@verizon.net (Eric) wrote in
SNIP

> I use Mapopolis regularly on a T3, and it's the best I've seen for
> PalmOS. As for a T5, I don't know. You'll have to find a cable with
> the new connector, and I don't know where you would find one of those.
> Maybe the GPS you referenced has it. I use a standard Garmin eTrex
> Legend, which works very well, and I can use it by itself without having
> to connect it to my Palm when I'm walking. I would never buy another
> mouse-type GPS with no display.

A Bluetooth GPS device might be a good compromise. The Delorme/Earthmate
Bluelogger is a very small unit with replaceable rechargeable batteries and
even comes with a belt pouch. I am sure it will work with Mapopolis and has
the added benefit of being able to log GPS data without the need for a PC or
a PDA.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 3:54:23 PM

Actually, I went to J & R Music World in lower Manhattan. The
Palm/PocketPC salesmen confirmed that there are no GPS devices on the
market that will work with a T5.
Good thing I still have the box 'cause its off to Ebay we go.
January 2, 2005 5:06:29 PM

georgeico <n7472@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'm also interested in purchasing a Palm T5 GPS device. I went to the
> Palm website and saw their "Bluetooth technology-enabled GPS solution"
> made no mention of T5 compatability.

The latest issue of MacAddict (Feb 2005) specifically mentions that the
T5 is a bluetooth device.

They may not have updated their website yet.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 10:38:49 PM

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in

> A Bluetooth GPS device might be a good compromise.

Not for me. Using Bluetooth drains the battery far too quickly, so you
have to connect the PDA to a power source anyway, so there is no real
advantage there. I use one cable to power both my Palm and my GPS, so
it's not really a factor. If I have to plug the PDA to something anyway,
why spend the extra money for a Bluetooth GPS? I can get far more
functionality for the same money with a standalone model.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 10:42:02 PM

"georgeico" <n7472@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1104674196.748015.85810
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> I'm also interested in purchasing a Palm T5 GPS device. I went to the
> Palm website and saw their "Bluetooth technology-enabled GPS solution"
> made no mention of T5 compatability. So I went to their forum and
> posted there. No response. As a matter of fact, there were no

Not so unbelievable. The T5 didn't exactly fly off the shelves, and I
suspect that the number of users who also use a GPS with it is rather
small. You'll probably have better luck on other forums, such as
Brighthand or GPSPassion. The latter is primarily French, but there are
a number of English-language forums there, with many American
participants, including manufacturers and software companies.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 4:38:33 AM

"georgeico" <n7472@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Actually, I went to J & R Music World in lower Manhattan. The
> Palm/PocketPC salesmen confirmed that there are no GPS devices on the
> market that will work with a T5.
> Good thing I still have the box 'cause its off to Ebay we go.

I hope you don't shop at J&R often because you got bad info. Delorme does
support the T5 with Street Atlas 2005 Hand Held and a Bluetooth GPS such as
the BlueLogger that they sell.

http://www.delorme.com/support/streetatlas/2005HH003.as...

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 9:03:50 AM

"georgeico" <n7472@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1104699263.691483.212330
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Actually, I went to J & R Music World in lower Manhattan. The
> Palm/PocketPC salesmen confirmed that there are no GPS devices on the
> market that will work with a T5.
> Good thing I still have the box 'cause its off to Ebay we go.

Never, ever believe a record-store drone about anything.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:21:02 PM

The TomTom is EXACTLY the one that I wanted to try. It looks like it
should work because of the BT interface, but I didn't want to buy it on
the possibility that it would work. It would be nice to know that it
would definitely work and I haven't been able to confirm that.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:31:01 PM

Eric wrote:
> Anyone aware of any recent magazine reviews covering Palm GPS solutions?
>
> I was recently looking into this and have became interested in the
> Rayming TripNav GPS unit and Mapopolis. If you have used either or both
> of these products, I would be interested in learning what your
> experiences were/are.

AFAIK there's no way to physically connect a T5 to a GPS because of Palm
changing the connector on the T5. Cables & solutions may appear over the next
few months, but for now you're stuck with Bluetooth. Any of the current crop of
Bluetooth GPS units should work.

Software-wise, I've tried most of the apps available for the Palm. TomTom is by
far the best in terms of interface, reliability and performance. It should work
with a generic BT GPS.

Check out the site & forums at http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/ for lots of useful
information.

Glenn.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:33:32 PM

georgeico wrote:
> Actually, I went to J & R Music World in lower Manhattan. The
> Palm/PocketPC salesmen confirmed that there are no GPS devices on the
> market that will work with a T5.

Patently untrue. What he meant to say was "I don't have any I can sell you, so
I'll lie and pretend there aren't any". Certainly the Delorme Bluetooth one, and
most likely all the other BT ones, will work.

> Good thing I still have the box 'cause its off to Ebay we go.

If you're seriously interested in GPS, sell the T5 on eBay and get a T3 - you'll
have lots more options then.

Glenn.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 6:36:41 PM

Thanks for the bad news! Its much better to read about it here than to
go through the hassle of returning an incompatible device.

george
January 3, 2005 10:14:25 PM

On 2 Jan 2005 12:54:23 -0800, georgeico wrote:

> Actually, I went to J & R Music World in lower Manhattan. The
> Palm/PocketPC salesmen confirmed that there are no GPS devices on the
> market that will work with a T5.

Most of J&R's salesmen know very little about the products that
they do sell. Often I've found that they aren't aware of products
within 20 feet of their part of the counter. If you want
information about products that they don't sell you'd do better to
ask passersby on the sidewalk in front of their store.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:14:44 AM

georgeico wrote:
> The TomTom is EXACTLY the one that I wanted to try. It looks like it
> should work because of the BT interface, but I didn't want to buy it on
> the possibility that it would work. It would be nice to know that it
> would definitely work and I haven't been able to confirm that.

There are 2 connectivity issues with the TomTom BT kit (as sold for the T3) to
be aware of:

1. PDA-GPS connectivity. This is by Bluetooth and should work with the T5.

2. Powering the PDA - for the T3, the cradle supplied in the TomTom kit also
powers the PDA, which is vital as the T3 battery life isn't great (dunno about
the T5 - I hear it's better but probably not several hundred percent better).

Unfortunately since Palm saw fit to put a new connector on the T5, it won't work
in the car cradle.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Glenn.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 6:05:50 AM

You can buy the TomTom SW for Palm as a stand alone product. You will want
to find a car adapter and mount for the T5 and there are several options
available for that.

http://www.extremepda.com/page/XPDA/CTGY/PALMTUNGT5ACC
http://www.thepocketsolution.com/store.mv?c=tungsten_t5...
http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=1&Langua...

Cheers
TC

> Thanks for the bad news! Its much better to read about it here than to
> go through the hassle of returning an incompatible device.
>
> george

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 3:34:18 PM

Well, I did exactly that. I purchased the TomTom software for T3 and
purchased the card adapter and mount separately. It works fine with
one exception. I can't get the T5 to find the voice prompts. I must
have installed the voices 10 times with no success.

What a pain.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 4:27:04 PM

Actually, there is no problem. I'm using the T3 map software on my T5.
The T5 recognizes the BT GPS right away. The only glitch is that I
can't get the voice prompts to work. I've reinstalled the program 3
times with negative results.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 5:21:55 PM

georgeico napsal(a):
> Oh, I know the T5 is a bluetooth device. But the GPS device/software
> mentioned on the Palm website states specifically that its compatible
> with the T3.
>
> No mention is made of the T5. So do I purchase it and see if it will
> work on my T5? Has anybody else done that?

Well, the BT protocol is standardised, the PalmOS is 5.2.1 vs. 5.4, and
the software is essentially the same. I really don't see a reason why a
piece of SW working on a T3 shouldn¨t work on a T5. It has the same
(although by 16MHz faster) CPU, the same OS (newer version, in fact),
and the same BT chip.
Mark
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 5:24:22 PM

georgeico napsal(a):
> Actually, I went to J & R Music World in lower Manhattan. The
> Palm/PocketPC salesmen confirmed that there are no GPS devices on the
> market that will work with a T5.
> Good thing I still have the box 'cause its off to Ebay we go.

The salesman is a yellowbelly knowing probably very little about Palms.
Aske elsewhere. And if you're still scared about losing your money, ask
the salesman who will say the device works with the T5 to specify on the
receipt that in case of incompatibility you can return the GPS with no
charge.
Or, even better, take the T5 and try it at the shop.
What's the problem?
Mark
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 6:25:23 PM

georgeico napsal(a):
> Actually, there is no problem. I'm using the T3 map software on my T5.
> The T5 recognizes the BT GPS right away. The only glitch is that I
> can't get the voice prompts to work. I've reinstalled the program 3
> times with negative results.

Maybe it's related to the EEPROM portion of T5's internal memory. The SW
may not work correctly with the portion pretending to be an internal
memory, while requiring the app use the VFS instead of the internal FS.
Have you tried installing the GPS SW into the RAM?
Mark
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 6:21:11 PM

I've installed it on the internal memory and on a SD disk I purchased.
Nothing works.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 8:00:48 PM

georgeico napsal(a):
> I've installed it on the internal memory and on a SD disk I purchased.
> Nothing works.

Looks like the flash internal memory is the problem. I'm afraid I'm unable
to help from here, short of buying the kit from you :-(
Mark
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 11:36:45 PM

By the way Mapopolis will work just fine in a T5, including voice prompts.
The T5 speaker is in the back, which is not ideal for this application. You
can download the Mapopolis viewer and a sample map from their web site to
verify is works. An entire US map package is like $99, but you can purchase
a county for like $8

Because of a couple T5 quirks, it works better when the maps are installed
on a SD card, I've heard the HMI is not quite as good as TomTom, but it
provides the 3D view that many like and the Maps are maybe better quality,
but probably not enough to sway your choice. The large screen of the T5
that stays open is an advantage in this app. I use mine with a blue tooth
Navman 4600, but other GPS receivers work. GPSPassion, I think, has a
review of both mouse style and bluetooth capable receivers.

Yos.

In article <ctgc24$2o4f$15@ns.felk.cvut.cz>, Marek StanŸõk
<marekdotstanek@post.cz> wrote:

georgeico napsal(a):
> I've installed it on the internal memory and on a SD disk I purchased.
> Nothing works.

Looks like the flash internal memory is the problem. I'm afraid I'm unable
to help from here, short of buying the kit from you :-(
Mark
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 12:21:31 PM

Thanx for suggestions.