TECH: Data East Jurassic Park - right bottom flipper

Column 7 of the lamp matrxi was not working. Checked continuity of all
lights to pin it was working. Replaced Q66, a TIP42 and it solved the
problem.

I thought I had the game all fixed up (previously replaced a TIP122 and
1N4404 for solenoid 16 (plunger ball lockdown).

I put the game back together and the right bottom flipper does not work. The
top right works fine.

Actually, the very first time you press the flipper, the right flipper works
(sometimes the second or third time). Then it does not work. I checked fuses
but if it works once every time I turn it on it is probably not the fuse.

I took the board off and reflowed the flipper relay connections in case I
messed them up. Still does not work.

I will look through Clay's guide and the manual and see what else to check.
Did I possibly create a cold solder joint someplace else?

Could it be the flipper board at the left side of the cabinet which was
never touched? I have a Data East Last Action Hero. Can I try to take the
flipper board over to see if it is the problem? Would this work since last
action has 2 flippers and Jurassic has 3? Or am I just barking up the wrong
tree?

.....I should have not bothered to fix the lights, but then the game would
not be working perfectly, but at least it would have been working....

Thank you for any suggestions. This is driving me crazy.

Thanks
Michael
6 answers Last reply
More about tech data east jurassic park bottom flipper

    Make sure you have very good solder joints at the flipper coil, the wires to
    the coil, and especially the tiny wires coming off the coil. Then the wires
    to the coil, follow them around back to the board. Any wires looped through
    a connector - make sure you don't have a broken wire. LTG :)

    "Michael Belofsky" <mbelofsky@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Column 7 of the lamp matrxi was not working. Checked continuity of all
    > lights to pin it was working. Replaced Q66, a TIP42 and it solved the
    > problem.
    >
    > I thought I had the game all fixed up (previously replaced a TIP122 and
    > 1N4404 for solenoid 16 (plunger ball lockdown).
    >
    > I put the game back together and the right bottom flipper does not work.
    The
    > top right works fine.
    >
    > Actually, the very first time you press the flipper, the right flipper
    works
    > (sometimes the second or third time). Then it does not work. I checked
    fuses
    > but if it works once every time I turn it on it is probably not the fuse.
    >
    > I took the board off and reflowed the flipper relay connections in case I
    > messed them up. Still does not work.
    >
    > I will look through Clay's guide and the manual and see what else to
    check.
    > Did I possibly create a cold solder joint someplace else?
    >
    > Could it be the flipper board at the left side of the cabinet which was
    > never touched? I have a Data East Last Action Hero. Can I try to take the
    > flipper board over to see if it is the problem? Would this work since last
    > action has 2 flippers and Jurassic has 3? Or am I just barking up the
    wrong
    > tree?
    >
    > ....I should have not bothered to fix the lights, but then the game would
    > not be working perfectly, but at least it would have been working....
    >
    > Thank you for any suggestions. This is driving me crazy.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Michael

    The 2 main things that cause this are either the flipper button
    contacts themselves or the end of stroke switch.

    Lloyd:
    Thanks! I wil check this tomorrow.

    When I use my meter and ground the black to the ground braid, what should
    the voltage read on the lugs to the bottom right flipper flipper?

    If the voltage is lower (which I think it is), what does this mean?

    It sounds like I need to check the wires and connections carefully as well
    as the really thin wire on the coil. Do you think I could have messed up the
    board when I took it out to work on it two times?

    Thanks
    Michael

    "Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote in message
    > Make sure you have very good solder joints at the flipper coil, the wires
    > the coil, and especially the tiny wires coming off the coil. Then the
    > wires
    > to the coil, follow them around back to the board. Any wires looped
    > through
    > a connector - make sure you don't have a broken wire. LTG :)
    >
    > "Michael Belofsky" <mbelofsky@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >> Column 7 of the lamp matrxi was not working. Checked continuity of all
    >> lights to pin it was working. Replaced Q66, a TIP42 and it solved the
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> I thought I had the game all fixed up (previously replaced a TIP122 and
    >> 1N4404 for solenoid 16 (plunger ball lockdown).
    >>
    >> I put the game back together and the right bottom flipper does not work.
    > The
    >> top right works fine.
    >>
    >> Actually, the very first time you press the flipper, the right flipper
    > works
    >> (sometimes the second or third time). Then it does not work. I checked
    > fuses
    >> but if it works once every time I turn it on it is probably not the fuse.
    >>
    >> I took the board off and reflowed the flipper relay connections in case I
    >> messed them up. Still does not work.
    >>
    >> I will look through Clay's guide and the manual and see what else to
    > check.
    >> Did I possibly create a cold solder joint someplace else?
    >>
    >> Could it be the flipper board at the left side of the cabinet which was
    >> never touched? I have a Data East Last Action Hero. Can I try to take the
    >> flipper board over to see if it is the problem? Would this work since
    >> last
    >> action has 2 flippers and Jurassic has 3? Or am I just barking up the
    > wrong
    >> tree?
    >>
    >> ....I should have not bothered to fix the lights, but then the game would
    >> not be working perfectly, but at least it would have been working....
    >>
    >> Thank you for any suggestions. This is driving me crazy.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Michael

    Thnaks! I will test the EOS switch on the right flipper later when I can get
    into the Pizza place.

    I believe the flipper button is making contact correctly. But I will check.

    What you say makes sense but if the machine worked fine. Then I took the CPU
    board out to replace several transistors and put it back in and the right
    lower flipper stopped working (the upper one does) then I am thinking I
    either messed up a wire on a connection to the lower flipper (which I will
    also check), or possibly caused a cold solder joint someplace (although I

    "RonKZ650" <RonKZ650@aol.com> wrote in message
    > The 2 main things that cause this are either the flipper button
    > contacts themselves or the end of stroke switch.

    Thanks
    It was the EOS switch on the flipper. A minor adjustment to the switch made
    the flipper work. I guess it was the raising and lowering of the playfield.
    Thanks
    Michael

    > Thnaks! I will test the EOS switch on the right flipper later when I can
    > get into the Pizza place.
    >
    > I believe the flipper button is making contact correctly. But I will
    > check.
    >
    > What you say makes sense but if the machine worked fine. Then I took the
    > CPU board out to replace several transistors and put it back in and the
    > right lower flipper stopped working (the upper one does) then I am
    > thinking I either messed up a wire on a connection to the lower flipper
    > (which I will also check), or possibly caused a cold solder joint
    > someplace (although I reflowed the flipper relay connections).
    >
    > Thanks
    > Michael
    >

    > "RonKZ650" <RonKZ650@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> The 2 main things that cause this are either the flipper button
    >> contacts themselves or the end of stroke switch.

    I did the same thing two weeks ago, somehow (which is very easy on a
    DE) I improperly lowered the pf and damaged the flipper switches. Took
    me awhile to tweak them just right. I'm glad I took pictures before I
    took it apart.

Light Games Video Games