Cyberpower UPS ethernet protection failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcg_97

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
I bought a CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS back in September which supplies surge protection across one ethernet connection in addition to the regular protection for power cables. I also have an ASUS router providing wired connections with one other PC, a NAS, and a TV. It provides wireless connections for an additional PC and other devices (cell phones, etc).

Shortly after purchasing the UPS, my network connection dropped - which is extremely rare with my current setup. I traced the problem back to my UPS, so I bypassed the protection from it and directly connected the ethernet cable to my PC. Problem solved. I was concerned since I had recently purchased the device and didn't want to pay shipping to obtain a replacement.

I later reconnected the network cable to the UPS and it seemed to be working fine until the same problem occurred once again! Shutting down the UPS and restarting it didn't seem to help. I eventually discovered that this issue occurred whenever the other PC (with a wired connection to my router) started up. The UPS protection over ethernet would block any of the data from passing through. This issue *only* happened when that other PC starts up - not with the wirelessly connected PC, or with the wired connections for my NAS or TV.

Before I try investigating further, has anyone else run into a similar issue before? Could this be a router issue or simply a faulty UPS from CyberPower?

Solution

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the "other PC" has a wired ethernet connection to your router, and you're claiming that whenever the router is connected to the Ethernet OUT port on the UPS, the internet connection drops.

You may be correct in blaming the UPS, but your troubleshooting steps, at least as you have described them, do not prove the UPS is the culprit. Plugging the ethernet cable directly into the PC does bypass the UPS, true, but it also bypasses the router. You should plug the ISP ethernet cable into your router and see if the problem recurs. If it does recur, then you...

mrblint

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the "other PC" has a wired ethernet connection to your router, and you're claiming that whenever the router is connected to the Ethernet OUT port on the UPS, the internet connection drops.

You may be correct in blaming the UPS, but your troubleshooting steps, at least as you have described them, do not prove the UPS is the culprit. Plugging the ethernet cable directly into the PC does bypass the UPS, true, but it also bypasses the router. You should plug the ISP ethernet cable into your router and see if the problem recurs. If it does recur, then you cannot blame the UPS for the problem.

Other things to check:

Make sure there are no IP address conflicts.
Are all of the PCs getting their IP address from the router using DHCP?
Do any PCs have manually assigned static IP addresses?
If a PC has a manually assigned address, make sure its IP addresses for the DNS servers are correct.

Solution

Jantech

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
The UPS could be the issue, but how do you have it plugged in. I normally only protect the Ethernet cable from the cable modem or dsl modem to the router WAN, not anything on the local network side, as the most likely place for surge is from the modem.

tcg_97

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011

My apologies for the late reply.

I did address the situation you described, although I may not have explained it very well, and the problem continued.

I've decided to take a difference approach for the time being: instead of passing the network connection through the UPS, I'm passing the phone line through it before it reaches my modem. I've been running a week with this setup and I haven't encountered any issues so far.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.