Installation problem with windows 7 ultimate

sking

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I just formatted my large and put windows 7 on it. It prepares my computer for 1st time usage and logs me into windows. I go to the windows update website and it find 97 updates. It takes about 1/2 to download these and then install onto my machine booting it a couple times. I then boot the machine one final time and windows starts to load the SETUP files. it can't start windows because of the upadtes. What gives? Why is it ALYWAYS like this with the windows updates. I have tried for 2 months to get windows on my new drive and windows just crashes every time. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I keep running the windows startup til I'm blue in the face and nothing is ever resolved.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
download the service pack 1 full and install before updates (disable or disconnect from internet), can get from Microsoft site, then after service pack is installed, reconnect or plug in, download updates but in batches, download just the security updates first, reboot, then download fixes for internet explorer, then maybe the virus definitions for bit defender then the net framework, all in batches, first off it will go much quicker that way and won't have the issues you are having, I did it your way and after 9 hours of downloading, rebooting, downloading, rebooting....it crashed, did it the way i explained, took an hour for the service pack and 20 minutes for updates, everything worked as a charm and have been doing it that way ever since (I am a service tech and administrator so I install windows several times a day in some cases)