Accessing/manipulating files on SD card (Tungsten E)

January 2, 2005 6:17:21 AM

Hello,

How does one go about actually 'seeing' and hopefully 'deleting' files
on the SD card w/o having to resort to a format? Under Card Info all I
see is some directory names and sizes, but thats it. Nothing else
clickable or anything.

Thanks,

nuk

--
I know more than enough *nix to do some very destructive things,
and not nearly enough to do very many useful things.

nuk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How does one go about actually 'seeing' and hopefully 'deleting' files
> on the SD card w/o having to resort to a format? Under Card Info all I
> see is some directory names and sizes, but thats it. Nothing else
> clickable or anything.
>
> Thanks,
>
> nuk

You can use the program Filez. You can get it at this website:
http://nosleepsoftware.sourceforge.net/download.php

--
<o><><><><><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><o><><><><><><><><><><><><><o>
http://www.texbiker.net -- Texas Bicycling Information Central.

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 03:17:21 +0000 (UTC), nuk
<nuk@panix.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How does one go about actually 'seeing' and hopefully 'deleting' files
> on the SD card w/o having to resort to a format? Under Card Info all I
> see is some directory names and sizes, but thats it. Nothing else
> clickable or anything.

One way is to plug the card into a reader on your PC. Another way is to
use a file manager such as FileZ or GentleMan. FileZ can be found at
www.nosleep.net, GentleMan at http://www.mulliner.org/palm.
(Note: if you downloaded GentleMan before January 1, 2005, that version
won't work anymore; you'll have to download the latest version.)

--
Happy New Year 2005 or YOLD 3171 (Hail Eris!)
January 2, 2005 10:45:24 PM

nuk <nuk@panix.com> wrote in news:slrnctepu1.gmr.nuk@panix2.panix.com:

> Hello,
>
> How does one go about actually 'seeing' and hopefully 'deleting' files
> on the SD card w/o having to resort to a format? Under Card Info all I
> see is some directory names and sizes, but thats it. Nothing else
> clickable or anything.

Sigh. The manual explains this. In Applications, select the card. Then
Menu, Delete, and select the app to delete. This should delete all its
files. For files you've transferred there by other means, FileProg will
do the job. Freeware, and the best file manager extant - far more
functional than FileZ.

--
Regards,

Stan
January 3, 2005 6:06:37 AM

"nuk" <nuk@panix.com> wrote in message news:slrnctepu1.gmr.nuk@panix2.panix.com...
> Hello,
>
> How does one go about actually 'seeing' and hopefully 'deleting' files

I use Filez, FileProg, but the one I like best is 3X Commander 1.02 (3XCom), at www.3gxsoft.com. I think it's new,
and right now it's freeware.

Dugie
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 9:11:19 PM

On 02 Jan 2005 19:45:24 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> wrote:
> nuk <nuk@panix.com> wrote in news:slrnctepu1.gmr.nuk@panix2.panix.com:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> How does one go about actually 'seeing' and hopefully 'deleting' files
>> on the SD card w/o having to resort to a format? Under Card Info all I
>> see is some directory names and sizes, but thats it. Nothing else
>> clickable or anything.
>
> Sigh. The manual explains this. In Applications, select the card. Then
> Menu, Delete, and select the app to delete. This should delete all its
> files. For files you've transferred there by other means, FileProg will
> do the job. Freeware, and the best file manager extant - far more
> functional than FileZ.

The problem was that I transferred files to the SD card before realizing
that I needed to filter them thru a converter for some programs such as
Acrobat, etc. Therefore the programs weren't associated w/ any
particular app, nor did I have any desire to delete an *application*
just to get rid of its files. I *did* read the manual, thanks. After
the fact, unfortunately, but before asking here.

Filez did accomplish what I wanted, to be able to delete files that had
got put on the SD card before conversion, as mentioned, and some that
had got put on there, but the application in question didn't 'see' them
unless they were transferred to the main memory. Kind of a PITA, but it
worked.

In what ways is FileProg 'better' than FileZ? Just curious, as Filez
seemed to work well enough (admittedly, not terribly demanding
requirements here though).

TIA,

nuk

--
I know more than enough *nix to do some very destructive things,
and not nearly enough to do very many useful things.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 11:45:19 PM

In article <slrnctj2m6.gmr.nuk@panix2.panix.com>, nuk@panix.com wrote:

> got put on the SD card before conversion, as mentioned, and some that
> had got put on there, but the application in question didn't 'see' them
> unless they were transferred to the main memory. Kind of a PITA, but it
> worked.

Some applications are designed to be able to be accessed off the SD card
and some aren't. I hear that some launchers and other apps can create the
equivalent of an (Mac) "alias" on your main memory that will trigger the
launch of the app even when it resides on the expansion card.
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 6:09:12 AM

nuk <nuk@panix.com> wrote in news:slrnctj2m6.gmr.nuk@panix2.panix.com:

> In what ways is FileProg 'better' than FileZ? Just curious, as Filez
> seemed to work well enough (admittedly, not terribly demanding
> requirements here though).

You can easily select multiple files to manipulate; you can delete whole
directory trees at once; the interface is simply better, at least IMO;
plus more I can't think of off the top of my head. It costs the same as
FileZ, so why not try it?

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 7:01:58 PM

On 04 Jan 2005 03:09:12 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> wrote:
> nuk <nuk@panix.com> wrote in news:slrnctj2m6.gmr.nuk@panix2.panix.com:
>
>> In what ways is FileProg 'better' than FileZ? Just curious, as Filez
>> seemed to work well enough (admittedly, not terribly demanding
>> requirements here though).
>
> You can easily select multiple files to manipulate; you can delete whole
> directory trees at once; the interface is simply better, at least IMO;
> plus more I can't think of off the top of my head. It costs the same as
> FileZ, so why not try it?

Well, it sounds promising. I don't have a direct need at the moment,
but i'll d/l it and give it a peek.

Thanks,

nuk

--