Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 64 bit Non booting

Last response: in Windows 7
December 17, 2012 5:15:55 AM

Ok, what happened was I was trying to partition my main drive to dual boot Win 8. I grabbed a partition program from the web. It wouldn't work while in windows, so I allowed it to restart. System gets past POST no issues. Shows my raid info as normal. Once past the raid is where windows normally starts. All it is showing is a blinking line. No keyboard commands work. I was able to do a system restore to just prior to installing the program, but windows will still not boot, at least not on its own. I grabbed another HDD with windows on it, and was able to get it to run chkdsk on my main system. Showed no issues. I can now boot into my own windows on my raid, but not without it set to boot off the other drive first. I've done all I can see in msconfig to adjust my boot. I'ts never shown the "recovered" part before. Any thoughts? Aside from a reinstall.

More about : win bit booting

a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2012 6:03:44 AM

blackdragonx1186 said:
Ok, what happened was I was trying to partition my main drive to dual boot Win 8. I grabbed a partition program from the web. It wouldn't work while in windows, so I allowed it to restart. System gets past POST no issues. Shows my raid info as normal. Once past the raid is where windows normally starts. All it is showing is a blinking line. No keyboard commands work. I was able to do a system restore to just prior to installing the program, but windows will still not boot, at least not on its own. I grabbed another HDD with windows on it, and was able to get it to run chkdsk on my main system. Showed no issues. I can now boot into my own windows on my raid, but not without it set to boot off the other drive first. I've done all I can see in msconfig to adjust my boot. I'ts never shown the "recovered" part before. Any thoughts? Aside from a reinstall.

http://i46.tinypic.com/amt8xi.png

try using a hirem boot cd and try to repair the master boot record on the raid drive. may be that the program you loaded deleted or damaged it.windows drops a small bit of info into the mbr and if it damaged your system wont post.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2012 10:09:11 AM

And next time you grab a partiton program from the web, make sure it works with raid. Although you didn't post any info about your raid setup, i suppose it's one of these software raids provided by the mobo chipset. Most of the partition programs don't support this typ of raid or at least require special procedures. In your case it pretty much destroyed the mbr. There may be an option in bios to restore the mbr. The raid manual for your mobo tells you more.
m
l
!