popsicledeath

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005
As far as everything I've read here (very old posts) the A64 3400 "dtr notebooks"(or even mobile) that are socket 754 will work in a reg 754 socket motherboard, right? I really want to get a a64 3400 with clawhammer core as it's the perfect price/performance range for me and the only cpu's of these they have on newegg are dtr or mobile ones (which is kinda psyching me out). Not only would one be compatible, but more importantly would it be encouraged or not to get one of these?

I've read and understood the issues of no heat spreader so the danger to cracking the core and will probably just end up coping out and having a local computer store do all assembly of my new system. As well, assuming there're no stop signs to getting a dtr or mobile, since they don't come with stock heatsink/fan would anyone suggest one/s that would work well with a64 3400 clawhammer/abit nf8 mobo/lianli pc-v1000(think that's all that could matter), or anything else extra I'd have to get beforehand?

also, on a somewhat side note, everything I read said basically we'd have to wait and see how the dtr/mobile cpus overclocked, but I couldn't find any new info as to whether they do better or worse then the regular cpus.

From all I've read there's no reason not to get one, but all of the posts were very old and with my luck something drastic could have changed. I always end up being humbled and awed at the vast knowledge, and williness to repeat it over and over, on these forums, so thank you for any answers.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
<b>HEATSPREADER</b>
Effectively, since DTR are meant to be installed in Laptop, they don't have the protective heatspreader. They need more attention during installation, but any good HSF for Socket754 will do the job. Don't forget the thermal paste!

<b>OVERCLOCKING</b>
The reason why we can't find much info about A64 dtr/mobile overclockability, it's because they don't overclock much more than normal A64. So, they don't add value for overclockers. The SocketA platform have is overclocking king with the Mobile XP 2500+ (Barton core). But for Socket754, there is no answer to overclocking... You buy what you can affor and you push it to where you want!

As you said, there is no reason to not buy DTR, except the fact that the DTR/mobile cost more and don't come with HSF... And it doesn't have the same warranty too!

-
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> <- <i>Is this affecting my credibility?</i>
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290 <- <i>It's enough for WoW!</i>

Have you thought about a PSU for your case? The pc-v1000 doesn't come with one.

HSF: Look at the Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu LED. Anyone know of bad interferences with the NF8?

"He who will not risk, cannot win"
- John Paul Jones

endyen

Splendid
What I have heard is that the heat spreader is very usefull in OCing. In other words, the dtr chips are poor OCers. The latter batches of s754 3200+s seem to max out the architecture fairly well, so if you overclock, the only advantage to the dtr is the extra cache. It really doesn't do much, and considering the price difference, you might want to think about the newcastle 3200.

popsicledeath

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005
have a fortron 500w psu coming in the mail right now.

i guess the question is whether i want to pay more to get no hsf and shorter warrentied clawhammer over a retail newcastle. everything i've read leans towards clawhammers (especially for overclocking, which i want to at least do in a non water cooling sort of way, which also means cooler running cpu would be an dvantage).

retail newcastle for $224 vs. oem dtr clawhammer for $225 (in stock soon heh) + hsf, (or mobile 3400 is $249)

decisions >_<

You'll be happy with the Fortron :smile:

Forget the extended warranty with the retail package - it's voided when you OC. The only advantage in the retail pkg for the OCer is the HSF....oops, most OCers will likely get another HSF. Is there an advantage to the retail for you? $202 for the OEM Newcastle 3400+. The $22 increase for the retail Newcastle will get you a stock HSF which won't allow you to do extensive OC - for a few dollars more you can get a better HSF. The 3200+ Newcastle is only $172.

Personally, i'd save a few more dollars, go with the 3200+ and spend the extra money on other components that would improve performance.

"He who will not risk, cannot win"
- John Paul Jones

popsicledeath

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005
duh me, good point, retail is pointless if i'm gonna play with overclocking. i guess either way i'm not screwing myself, so i'll just keep looking and buy what seems good to buy when the time comes. so if heatspreaders are good and there's not a difference in ocing between regular and mobile/dtr cpus i want to find a regular clawhammer core cpu... which is proving to be more difficult then the newcastles for some reason. are the clawhammer cores not normally the regular desktop cpus or something that makes them rarer? i've only been able to find oem clawhammers at smaller shops online (in the $220 range, which seems fair); is there anything i should be wary of ordering from a smaller type computer store then say newegg or zipzoomfly, like crappy versions of the cpus or anything? dunno why i want a clawhammer more, think it's just as dumb as liking the name better.

though i don't have endless resources saving just a few dollars isn't as big an issue as it was when i started looking into a new system, especially after falling in love with a lian li pc-v1000 case, funny how that works. :p

thanks for all the help, is mucho appreciado.