Hole in CPU ?

honsbeek2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
Hi ,

I was just wondering as a complete beginner...
I have a Pen 4 2.8 GHz Prescott (E) on the top of the chip on the metal covering there is a tiny hole in the corner...
What is it for???
The cooling paste that was there has gone into the hole, what will happen to the cpu if this happens???

thanks
Ralph

endyen

Splendid
That hole is to allow for expansion, and contraction of the metal heatspreader.
If you are talking about the paste that came with your chip, that shouldn't be a problem. It is non-conductive. Even with AS, it is usually not a big deal. However, AS is conductive. If it comes between 2 conductors, there could be a problem. Clean out the hole, as best you can, and dont worry too much about it.

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
<A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm" target="_new">see how P4 die looks like and more info about thermal paste</A>

==================================
<A HREF="http://www.clancas.net" target="_new">clan CHAOS</A>
<A HREF="http://www.daynighthosting.com" target="_new">DayNightHosting.com</A>

RichPLS

Champion
Man are you guys kiddin or what?
Everyone knows that the hole is there so that when you fry it you can use it for joolry

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>The little tiny hole in the corner is used to identify the
>orientation the CPU when sloted into the socket

Doesn't make much sense to me; just printing something on it would be just as effective, cheaper and without any ill side effect.

Here is a more likely explanation (courtesy of google:)

'The hole in the P4's heat spreader is a result of the manufacturing process. The IHS is glued to the processor substrate with epoxy at the Intel plant. The hole allows gases and pressure to escape while the epoxy cures. Without the hole the pressure would deform the epoxy bond and make the connection between substrate and IHS uneven.'

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

honsbeek2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
Keep your wisecrack remarks to yourself , This post was meant entirely serious... so ...
your remark is not really helpfull/..

Ok bye bye

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by honsbeek2 on 01/30/05 07:51 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Hey man im sitting in the other cpu section waiting on you, if your just going to keep me hanging around then I have other things that I can do. Let me know something

To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue:

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
-------------------------------
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

Regarding your question of why there is a hole in the corner of the processor.

The function of the hole is to release pressure during the manufacturing process
so that a sealed pocket of air is not left under the integrated heat spreader.

Please contact me again if I can be of further assistance.

Best Regards,
Naomi R.
Intel Customer Support
--------------------------------
<A HREF="http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread23750-1.html" target="_new">Original URL </A>

The loving are the daring!

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
> test it with a multimeter for yourself and see!

Hmm.. try that test with water, and you might conclude its safe to poor water over your motherboard.

Here is a quote from AS website:

Arctic Silver 3 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity. It is only electrically conductive in a thin layer under extreme compression.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 3 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Thank you Wusy. But that is what the gold triangle in the corner of the circuit substrate is for. (orientation)

The hole in the top of the die is for robotics to acquire a feducial (meaning trusted location/reference point) for mechanically picking up and for robotics optics to read the die so it can place the component and hold it during the curing process of the adhesive that holds the die to the substrate (circuit board).

During the curing process the die is gently pressure pointed in various locations by a robotics placement tip to make sure the die is set level with no inclusions between it and the substrate. Cure time is about 1 min 30 seconds at around 150 C.

I personally build Asip components that are part of Intel DIE. so I know this first hand.

The reply from Intel was hedged and not exactly true. They did indicate a manufacturing process but they have it miss quoted. The Horses mouth is the guy that does the work not the ones that work in PR!! There is no pressure during the curing process either the 2 stage epoxy is mixed inside a glass protected scale. 3 parts Epoxy and one part hardener it is so finely mixed there is no air pockets in the epoxy to cause blow off or blow bye of any type of gas.

Accept if I fart during the curing process.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=orange>LOVES</font color=orange> <font color=red>CANADA</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SoDNighthawk on 01/30/05 09:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

RichPLS

Champion
The hole is obviously there to match the one in yer head, only moreso needed...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I get a kick out some his replys. This one in Particular had me laughing for awhile. He has a unique sense of humor. Of course it would be tough to stay here sometimes if you didnt have a sense of humor.

To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue: