PC Anywhere, GoToMy PC, or some other RA app/utility?

Last response: in Computer Brands
July 7, 2004 1:13:50 AM

Greetings all.

A friend wishes to be able to access his (2) business systems at his store.
The systems are old, Win98, and networked - but with dialup internet access
only.

He's apparently looking to access his programs and sales data from his
home - for during the day monitoring as well as after-hours if needed.

I'd appreciate some opinions from others using remote access like this or
who have experiences with like programs. I've done a small amount of
reading on PC Anywhere, even less on GoToMy PC - and of course the XP remote
access tool (which won't really help in this situation, but I'd welcome
info. regarding it).

I've not used any RA programs, so pros and cons and experiences would help
(as would any links if you have them.).

Thanks,

Stew

More about : gotomy app utility

July 7, 2004 3:20:47 AM

S.Lewis wrote:

> Greetings all.
>
> A friend wishes to be able to access his (2) business systems at his
> store. The systems are old, Win98, and networked - but with dialup
> internet access only.
>
> He's apparently looking to access his programs and sales data from his
> home - for during the day monitoring as well as after-hours if needed.
>
> I'd appreciate some opinions from others using remote access like this or
> who have experiences with like programs. I've done a small amount of
> reading on PC Anywhere, even less on GoToMy PC - and of course the XP
> remote access tool (which won't really help in this situation, but I'd
> welcome info. regarding it).
>
> I've not used any RA programs, so pros and cons and experiences would help
> (as would any links if you have them.).
>

> Thanks,
>
> Stew
Another is VNC which is free. Personally I wouldn't put any right on the
internet as its like putting a "hack me" target on them. I had a boss a
few years ago get broadband internet so I loaded a remote access program on
and would take over his pc when he needed help. That was back in the day
whern no one else had a dedicated connection in their home so there weren't
thousands of script kiddies running portscans for machines. The best way
it to have some sort of VPN setup then a remote control app on the pc's.
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 1:09:08 PM

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

>Greetings all.
>
>A friend wishes to be able to access his (2) business systems at his store.
>The systems are old, Win98, and networked - but with dialup internet access
>only.
>
>He's apparently looking to access his programs and sales data from his
>home - for during the day monitoring as well as after-hours if needed.
>
>I'd appreciate some opinions from others using remote access like this or
>who have experiences with like programs. I've done a small amount of
>reading on PC Anywhere, even less on GoToMy PC - and of course the XP remote
>access tool (which won't really help in this situation, but I'd welcome
>info. regarding it).
>
>I've not used any RA programs, so pros and cons and experiences would help
>(as would any links if you have them.).

Our company's bookkeeper does most of her work at home, accessing
the company's accounting/management programs/records from home,
60 miles away in another state, with PC Anywhere. She started
out on a dialup connection, until broadband became available in
her somewhat rural location. Other company project managers
access the management program/files from our satellite office in
a client's facility using PC Anywhere also.

Broadband is better, of course, but satisfactory work can be done
on a reasonably fast dial-up connection - 40kbps+. Remember,
with PC Anywhere, whichever machine in the store is being used by
your friend working remotely should not be used by anyone *in*
the store. If files are to be accessed on the second machine,
that one needs to be turned on also, but others will be able to
use it without interfering with the work being done from the
remote location. We have three computers on the network
dedicated to PC Anywhere access by Jane and our project managers,
but I suspect such will not be the case for your friend.

It should be needless to say that all machines and the network(s)
need to be firewalled and have up-to-date anti-virus protection.
--
OJ III