anyone ever break a playfield glass with an airball? my williams lucky
ace can launch some wicked ones, and i fear the glass breaking. never
saw it happen, but can it?

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

It could but it would be rare. Tempered glass is weak at the edges or
if it gets scratched. Plate glass would even be rare getting broken.

In about 43 years of being around games, I've never seen or heard of it.
LTG :)

"mike hooker" <mhooker@optonline.net> wrote in message
> anyone ever break a playfield glass with an airball? my williams lucky
> ace can launch some wicked ones, and i fear the glass breaking. never
> saw it happen, but can it?
>
> --
> Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
> http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

This Old Pinball TOP#6 shows a skit on how tough plate glass versus
tempered glass is. Using a hammer, we distroy both kinds of glass.
Tempered is very durable, hard to break even with a hammer! Plate
breaks like a 16 year old's virginity, easily.

i have never seen an air ball break tempered glass. I have seen
it break plate glass though.

frog wrote:
> someone posted a set of movies of 'fun' with playfield glass. Tapping it
> with a hammer, dropping it on edge, throwing pinballs at it. It all was
> suprisingly tough. Search google for it.
>
> in short, real low probability of it happening.
> "Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote in message
> > In about 43 years of being around games, I've never seen or heard of it.
> > LTG :)
> >
> > "mike hooker" <mhooker@optonline.net> wrote in message
> > > anyone ever break a playfield glass with an airball? my williams lucky
> > > ace can launch some wicked ones, and i fear the glass breaking. never
> > > saw it happen, but can it?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
> > > http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

Frog

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002

someone posted a set of movies of 'fun' with playfield glass. Tapping it
with a hammer, dropping it on edge, throwing pinballs at it. It all was
suprisingly tough. Search google for it.

in short, real low probability of it happening.
"Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote in message
> In about 43 years of being around games, I've never seen or heard of it.
> LTG :)
>
> "mike hooker" <mhooker@optonline.net> wrote in message
> > anyone ever break a playfield glass with an airball? my williams lucky
> > ace can launch some wicked ones, and i fear the glass breaking. never
> > saw it happen, but can it?
> >
> > --
> > Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
> > http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

It should still be up, if not let me know. Suprisingly tough is right.
Unless temperature contrast is involved.

John!

frog wrote:
> someone posted a set of movies of 'fun' with playfield glass. Tapping it
> with a hammer, dropping it on edge, throwing pinballs at it. It all was
> suprisingly tough. Search google for it.
>
> in short, real low probability of it happening.
> "Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote in message
>
>>In about 43 years of being around games, I've never seen or heard of it.
>>LTG :)
>>
>>"mike hooker" <mhooker@optonline.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>anyone ever break a playfield glass with an airball? my williams lucky
>>>ace can launch some wicked ones, and i fear the glass breaking. never
>>>saw it happen, but can it?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
>>>http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

The glass did break surprisingly easy when dropping pinballs on it from
about 3 feet. Probably more force than the ball would ever see in game play.

Overall, the smaller the surface area contacting the glass the easier it
broke.

The flat side of a ball peen hammer hitting flush had almost no effect on
the glass.

Turn it over to the round side of the hammer head and the glass broke quite
easily.

Otto

CARGPB11

On 11 Sep 2005 12:51:19 -0700, cfh@provide.net wrote:

>This Old Pinball TOP#6 shows a skit on how tough plate glass versus
>tempered glass is. Using a hammer, we distroy both kinds of glass.
>Tempered is very durable, hard to break even with a hammer! Plate
>breaks like a 16 year old's virginity, easily.
>
>i have never seen an air ball break tempered glass. I have seen
>it break plate glass though.

Wasn't pinball glass, but I had some tempered glass doors from an
entertainment center that I was dumping. I threw it down in to a
dumpster where it landed about 6 feet below me, didn't break. I
proceeded to throw a 25 lb weight from a weightlifiting set on top of
it (from 6 ft above it). It still didn't break. Durable is an
understatement.