Sign in with
Your question

Win64, new computer and old computer.

Last response: in Windows 7
December 17, 2012 12:53:23 PM

Hello everyone!
Well lets get straight to the question that's been giving me a headache for days.

I recently built a new computer, so to save me a few bucks I took 2 of the hardware from my old computer, 1 of those 2 items was the HDD. Yes I wiped it clean before installing it to the new computer. Thing is, that computer had home premiun 64 bit, Which I REALLY have enjoyed. Whether from gaming to running 64 bit software.

Is there any way I could get the Win64 bit back? In my old computer's case, the key comes with it. Could I some how call the company, and have win64 sent to my new computer? or some other way? if it's not possible, thannk you all in advance.
December 17, 2012 1:20:57 PM

You will have to install it from the original CD that came with your old machine and it should work.
I have a copy of Winxp32 that came with my dell and I use it on all of my machines.
I am now using Winxp 64 as well because my old hardware (SCSI card and sound card) does not work with Win7 or 8.

FWIW

jer :) 
December 17, 2012 1:21:48 PM

if oem version SOL. but if you can get an OEM version disk of WIN7, you might be able to use the os key... (i think digital river has downloads for the disks... not sure... )
the problem is that the keys have version type incoded into them... thus the version problem, requires the oem disk version.... i think their is a way to "slip-stream" or change the disk type, but i am not sure how.

you may need to phone Microsoft during the activation...
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2012 1:31:16 PM

If you have a computer case with a Windows 7 license key on it, it was pre-built by someone (Dell, HP, Acer, etc.). That is an inexpensive OEM license of Windows and is tied to the motherboard of the original computer (original equipment manufacturer - OEM), it is not available to be installed on different hardware. You might get it to work on new equipment, but I doubt it, and I doubt that if you had to call Microsoft they will let you transfer it to new hardware.
December 17, 2012 1:36:32 PM

Finally someone who knows his stuff ^. You have to buy a new copy of windows whenever you build a new computer and want to run windows or change the motherboard from an OEM one. It'll set you back about $90 but at least you can use your computer then.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-gfc02050
December 17, 2012 1:39:31 PM

Ok everything the oposite of what mbreslin said if you have a OEM CD it will work on any computer in the same gen as the original PC There are bios versions that let an OEM cd work on a PC version 1.0 will allow you to install an xp cd with no key on any say Dell this includes any dell within the last 10 years. If you have a SLIC 2.0 bios you can instal Windows 7 on any Dell with no key needed ect. So OP if you have the OEM CD and it is a Dell or HP if the new PC is the same it will work with no key needed. If you do not have the CD you can get them off the internet not hard to find the ISO's out there with a little googling. Also if you call the microsoft activation line you can get them to give you a new key every time I have never been turned down... LOL just say you had to replace you mobo or something.

Thent
a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2012 1:51:36 PM

thently said:
Ok everything the oposite of what mbreslin said if you have a OEM CD it will work on any computer in the same gen as the original PC There are bios versions that let an OEM cd work on a PC version 1.0 will allow you to install an xp cd with no key on any say Dell this includes any dell within the last 10 years. If you have a SLIC 2.0 bios you can instal Windows 7 on any Dell with no key needed ect. So OP if you have the OEM CD and it is a Dell or HP if the new PC is the same it will work with no key needed. If you do not have the CD you can get them off the internet not hard to find the ISO's out there with a little googling. Also if you call the microsoft activation line you can get them to give you a new key every time I have never been turned down... LOL just say you had to replace you mobo or something.

Thent

Don't see how that helps him, he already stated the new system is custom built not OEM. OEM copies are not transferable to systems with a different board (more then simply BIOS version). It's unlikely his new system is similar in spec to the OEM machine he was using so he can't use the OEM disc.

Plus since it was a bought machine, i doubt Microsoft would allow you to simply download the ISO and grant a new key, they'll want him to buy a retail copy, which is probably the best method for him to take considering if in the future he upgrades again, it'll be a lot more hassle free.
!