BSOD 124 problem

Pete1987

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Hey all! Recently been having a Blue screen 124 problem, I was thinking it was an overheating issue (yes i have no idea about these things) but it's still happening even though my computer is fairly cool.

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450
MB: Asus M4A78LT-M-LE
RAM: DDR3 4096MB (3012MB usable)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

PC has only done this while I'm playing Guild Wars 2. This only started three days ago and has never happened before. Three days ago was when I moved my PC to a different, warmer room which is why I thought perhaps it was caused by overheating.

PC will automatically restart and upon starting up I get this message:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: C399B214
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Couldn't work out how to view the minidump without it trying to get me to put in some registration code for a program I'd never heard of before. Downloaded BlueScreenView and these were the important parts it showed up in properties.

Dump file: 121712-16910-01.dmp
Crash Time: 17/12/2012 13:56:48
Bug Check String: (Blank)
Bug check Code: 0x00000124
Caused By Driver: ntoskrnl.exe
Caused by address: ntoskrnl.exe+3259db
Crash Address: ntoskrnl.exe+3259db
Stack Address 1: ntoskrnl.exe+d1b2d
Stack Address 2: ntoskrnl.exe+d2949
Stack Address 3: ntoskrnl.exe+7d1eb

I Just noticed it's also got ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll highlighted in red... I'm not sure if the long list of files listed there that are not highlighted are relevant or not.

I also ran sfc/scannow as suggested in several other threads with similar problems and having just looked at it now it says "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.log windir\logs\CBS\CBS.log. for example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"

Here's hoping it's fixed my problem but I'm not that optimistic. I can't seem to open up this CBS.log file either. I'm on an admin user account, there's no way I can see to right click this and run as admin but it's telling me I do not have permission to access it when I try to.

Any insight would be mucho appreciated!

Well my guess is a possible hard drive failure. SFC is a life saver so give it a go it has fixed many a problem for me. I would make sure you have your important info backed up just in case and then run a spyware program like combofix or malwarebytes. Malware can screw up system files like this allot.

Thent

if the pc was moved open the case and with the power pulled from the wall and the mb drained.check that all the ram and video cards and cables are seated. I seen ram walk out of slots on pc that were used as test bends over time from heat and use. if the ram is seated fine i would run memtest on the stick just to make sure you dont have a bad stick of ram. when your inside you pc make sure you clean the dust out...most time you get dust clogs in the gpu fan. check that the fans are moving fine not slow and sluggish. for the gpu download msi afterburner check with msi afterburner that the gpu fan spins up under load. set a game profile that at 50-60c the fan at max speed. in the game itself turn down the eye candy..older gpu to much eye candy can cause the older gpu to over heat.

Pete1987

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
I did do SFC as stated in my post, unfortunately whatever it fixed, it didn't fix my problem because I'm blue screening still. I opened up my computer and didn't find anything dislodged, dust levels are low as it was recently cleaned out. I'll have a look at the rest of that suggestion in a min...

Anyone able to respond with some sort of insight to the importance of ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll ? Thanks.

Pete1987

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Thanks everyone for the replies but I inadvertently found and.. temp fixed the problem. I didn't realise there was a fan on the actual Graphics card itself and my brother took it out to clean it, not doubting his skills since he put it together in the first place i let him go for it, once he was done we put it back in and fired the PC up. It went iin to a constant state of restarting, it had maybe 5 seconds from trying to start before it would stop and restart again, repeatdly. No way to stop it even hitting F8/etc wouldn't make it stop.

So we decided that the problem must have been with the graphics card and took it out, hooked the monitor to the onboard graphics (hate and loathing), since then the PC has worked perfectly, gaming is obviously not as pretty and is kind of sluggish but there hasn't been a single BsoD issue at all. Time to buy a new graphics card.. Thanks again! :)