Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How do i get windows 7 with upgrade?

Last response: in Windows 7
December 17, 2012 2:27:01 PM

I want to get Windows 7 Professional on my computer that I'm going to build. I still have an unused Windows XP Home Edition lying around, and I am going to buy an upgrade version of Windows 7 professional. What do I have to do exactly to get it on my computer? First clean install Windows XP and then upgrade with the upgrade? Or clean upgrade with the upgrade version and use XP code as product key? Thanks! :) 

More about : windows upgrade

a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2012 2:30:37 PM

with windows update program it will update your windows from lets say win 7 home premium to prefessional but it will not upgrade from xp to 7 so grab yourself an oem copy of win 7 for a full version
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2012 2:33:44 PM

First of all, is there some particular feature of PRO that home premium does not supply?
There are very few that a home user would need.

Past that, no need to install XP, or use the XP activation code.
Read this article on the issues of doing a clean install using upgrade media:
http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install...

One advantage of upgrade is that it is considered as retail and can in the future be freely transferred to a different pc.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2012 8:44:55 PM

Except that upgrade copies of Windows 7 are now hard to find. I'm told by a shop-manager that Microsoft has ordered all unsold upgrade discs to be returned. I looked high & low for an upgrade version last week, no chance.

Non-upgrade versions are still available though, mostly the more expensive Pro & Ultimate editions.
m
l
December 17, 2012 8:49:02 PM

Ahh, that's unfortunate! I'm Dutch, and my father works at a university and he can get the update DVD for only €18 on www.surfspot.nl. I reckon it's only for Dutch people, though.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2012 11:22:04 PM

phil22 said:
Except that upgrade copies of Windows 7 are now hard to find. I'm told by a shop-manager that Microsoft has ordered all unsold upgrade discs to be returned. I looked high & low for an upgrade version last week, no chance.

Non-upgrade versions are still available though, mostly the more expensive Pro & Ultimate editions.

This is indeed true! I work in retail and they requested all of them (upgrade & retail) be pulled on October 27th which is the day after Windows 8 launched.

As for installing XP and then 7, you should not have to. You will be installing a clean copy of Windows (whichever version) and it in essence will see it as a clean install regardless.

Like geofelt mentioned there are issues with doing this however so I would recommend viewing the site they previously mentioned.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 18, 2012 12:50:03 AM

The trick to use upgrade version in clean install:
- start fresh, boot from Win7 upgrade media
- install Windows WITHOUT entering license key
- when install is complete, "upgrade" this installation with same upgrade media, this time entering the key
December 28, 2012 11:10:38 AM

Best answer selected by ItsTheSebbe.
m
l
!