Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Complicated Idea for Boot Camp etc... Will it work?

Last response: in Windows 7
December 17, 2012 3:33:31 PM

I'll get straight to it.

System.
2011 27" Imac with 2TB HDD - i7-2600K - 16gb ram - Radeon 6970m 2gb

Running Server 2008r2 on Boot Camp. Runs prefect.

Problem.
When using Wii emulator solo, it runs perfect.
Some games on 2 player lag.
Most games on 3 player lag.
I want to kill this lag.

My soultion?
SSD.

My idea.
Use 2nd SATA port to install an SSD. Put a fresh copy of Windows 7 on that SSD. Transfer my emulators content to the SSD.

My question.
Will that OS install go smoothly like with Boot Camp? Or will I run into problems. Or is it even possible on apply MB...

Thanks.
a b $ Windows 7
December 17, 2012 3:45:30 PM

1. You don't need two threads.
2. Are you trying to do this in Windows or Mac. you don't say which one you are running the emulator in
3. Unless your HD light is chugging like crazy during game play, what makes you think a SSD will make the lag go away?
4. It's an emulator, it's not perfect and maybe just doesn't work well with the games you are trying or multiple players.
5. Why not buy a $99 Wii and play games on a big screen TV. The only reason I can see you want to play 4 people on a little 27" screen is your downloading your games and not buying them.
December 17, 2012 3:53:49 PM

Well I know why it looks much better on the computer screen Dolphin lets you upscale the res to 1080P but SSD is not your answer most likely a 7970 or 680 will be the answer as Dolphin will not use your CFX or SLI. SSD is for loading and does not effect sluggish game play. Turn down your settings in Dolphon there are complete forums on getting your setting to a playable level...

Thent
Related resources
December 18, 2012 2:18:22 PM

Wow. Thank you for answering 4 questions I didn't ask. If i recall correctly, i didnt ask how to increase speed or why i would want to. Im pretty sure i remember asking about MB - OS compatability.
December 18, 2012 2:21:43 PM

thently said:
Well I know why it looks much better on the computer screen Dolphin lets you upscale the res to 1080P but SSD is not your answer most likely a 7970 or 680 will be the answer as Dolphin will not use your CFX or SLI. SSD is for loading and does not effect sluggish game play. Turn down your settings in Dolphon there are complete forums on getting your setting to a playable level...

Thent

Its an imac. Can't use desktop graphics.And an ssd is also for reading and writing data between programs and the drive. Gameplay slows down when things like auto save are going on. So yes, ssd would help. And this didnt answer the question either. Which was about motherboard and OS compatability!

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 18, 2012 2:28:14 PM

drjack6 said:
My question.
Will that OS install go smoothly like with Boot Camp? Or will I run into problems. Or is it even possible on apply MB...

What OS? You said 2008 is running perfectly, so what OS are you talking about? apply mb? Do you mean Apple motherboard?

So, do you want to get and SSD and you are asking if installing the MacOS and the Windows 2008 server on the SSD is possible? Of course it is, an SSD is a Hard Drive. Use a cloning software to clone your current drive to an SSD if everything is currently working on it, or reinstall, it's a hard drive.

Next time, try to ask your question and explain what you are doing and maybe you'll get a better answer since you threw in things like the Wii emu that didn't have anything to do with the question, type in apply mb instead of Apple motherboard and you really never said exactly what you want to do.
December 28, 2012 1:06:44 PM

Best answer selected by DrJack6.
!