Thorough P-M testing

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
<A HREF="http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2005q1/dfi-855gme-mgf/index.x?pg=1" target="_new"> Tech Report </A>

Long story short: like we knew already, PM can pretty much go toe to toe with A64 on a per clock basis. Definately in games, not really so in more typical P4 apps like media encoding or rendering. If anyone here wants to build a silent gaming rig, a PM could be worth a consideration.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
awesome. runs cooler too eh?

a64 is still a tad faster it seems, and you can get those nice Winchesters for $150 that overclock to 2.6ghz+ (4000+)

the P-M would probably be $250 or more

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Obviously A64s are cheaper per processing power, since they are aimed at the mainstream market and don't carry the mobile market price premium the increbile low power consumption can command there. Don't expect "turions" to be cheaper than A64s either.

The point the article tries to make (at least thats how I read it) is that PM *could* be an awesome desktop chip as well, if:
-intel increases the FSB
-it can scale higher. Thats a big if, I personally doubt it will be able to follow A64 in a clockrace.
-intel adds x64, something which is not trivial to say the least and probably the sole reason we won't see PM as a true desktop chip anytime soon.

Its too bad intel didn't bet on this horse any earlier, it would have given A64 some serious competition.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Kind of funny, really. The PM is based on the P3 core, and the K8 is based on the K7 core. So we're how many years later and right back to the old P3 vs. Athlon scene ... just with revised versions. Which brings up the question, was Intel's delve into the P4 actually worth it? (We'll limit it to 'from a technical standpoint' since obviously the clockspeed marketing advantage of the P4 made them money and thus was probably worth it for that reason alone.)

<pre>Antec Sonata 2x120mm
P4C 2.6
Asus P4P800Dlx
2x512MB CorsairXMS3200C2
Leadtek A6600GT TDH
RAID1 2xHitachi 40GB
BENQ 16X DVD+/-RW
Altec Lansing 251
NEC FE990 19"CRT</pre><p>

endyen

Splendid
I still hold that had Intel taken the P4c to 90 nanos, they could have clocked it to 5ghz. The P4c was a long time coming, and has been the only P4 that I consider good.
Perhaps, with a few more revisions, dual core, and DDR2-800/pc6400, the press-hot will be alright.