Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do I Use DVI, HDMI, or the Display Port?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 25, 2011 8:49:08 PM

Hey all, :hello: 

I can finally afford to upgrade my 7yr old Hanns G 19" Widescreen LCD monitor & will be getting a new ASUS VE258Q Black 25" LCD Monitor (2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen w/Display Port & Speakers) in a few days from Newegg! It has a DVI input, a Display Port input, & 2 HDMI Inputs. I primarily use my sole PC (Core i5 2500K, Corsair Vengeance 16GB LP-RAM, 120GB OCZ SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6870 2GB GPU, etc.) to play BF3, SWtOR soon, web-surf, email, watch Netflix, etc. This will be my only monitor & is my only computer, so no Eyefinity or Nvidia 3D Vision setup here. :pfff: 

My Question is: Should I use the DVI, Display Port, or HDMI connection? Which is best for my purposes & why? I would like to use this Monitor's two-2 watt speakers as supplementary audio to my pair of 15yr old Bose home satellite speakers & subwoofer I have plugged into my equally old tuner. Thanks a lot! :whistle: 

More about : dvi hdmi display port

November 26, 2011 5:25:59 AM

I was looking at that monitor as well. It looks like like it has all the necessary details to be a great for gaming, which is what I want. Hoping you get some more knowledgeable feedback.
November 26, 2011 5:39:07 AM

All things being equal, it should not matter which connection you use since the monitor will be receiving the same digital signal.

If there are differences in the quality of components used (either the monitor, video card, or even the cables), then you will likely see some variation in quality between the different ports.
Related resources
November 26, 2011 8:04:18 AM

Will using the DP or HDMI video image be as CLEAR as the DVI? Also, will my speakers work/be receiving the audio signal if I use DP or HDMI? I know DVI is video ONLY. Anyone know? Thanks.
November 26, 2011 3:22:02 PM

I believe jaguar is saying image quality should be the same as long as the cables used are all of the same quality. So as long as your Vid card and cables are of a good quality then it won't matter what standard is used.

I wouldn't expect much from the speakers to be honest. Especially if incorporating their use along side the Bose you plan on. from my experience laptop and monitor tweeters disappoint when the volume is pushed up.

Best solution

November 26, 2011 3:33:48 PM

Hey Flex check out this thread that jaguar responded to from 2009. I am sure this info applies today http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/54313-3-hdmi
November 26, 2011 7:20:22 PM

Thanks, Gripssl! ;')
November 26, 2011 7:20:42 PM

Best answer selected by Flexapr.
November 26, 2011 7:21:25 PM

AND, Thanks much, Jaguar!!!
December 22, 2011 8:33:35 PM

The signal is digital in all 3. So it will be identical. There is no way tha with 1 calbe you will have a bad image and with a good cable you will have good image. IT IS DIGITAL . With digital you only have two ways 1 or 0.. that translates in to : IT WORKS or it DOES NO WORK. Good cables cary the signal a longer distance .. that is all. You can buy a good calbe with cheep money .. just make sure it is not thin and it is thick. DVI cares audio. I keep hearing that is does not... well that is incorrect. I have NVIDIA 560gtx and I use a DVI to HDMI cable... and it sends the audio through the DVI to my HDMI input inside the TV. My previous video bord did not had HDMI si this i why I used DVI to HDMI cable... and also before I neede to use a separate audio cable to send the audio signal to tv(analogic). Now it all works through 1 cable. And the outpus used on the video board is the DVI one. The cable has 5 metters. That is arround 15 feet. I use the HDMI to HDMI cable to my monitor because it allows me to se the black leves to my monitor. I hope this information helps.
PS. Pardon my english.
December 25, 2011 9:47:19 PM

Hey OP, I got this same monitor for Christmas today. I must say it's beautiful! If you're still using yours, could you tell me if your speakers are working and where did you plug the green audio cable on the mobo? I can't get any sound out of them..I'm afraid if they aren't working I'll RMA, plus I've got a ghosting problem, at first I didn't care but if I need to RMA I will. Thanks.
December 12, 2012 1:09:05 PM

Dear Flexapr,

I don't think some of these ppl know what they are talking about, or spelling about either for that matter... :/ 
DISPLAY PORT 1.2 (and above) offers the highest quality resolution, frequency and colour available today, and will probably be the future standard once HD goes into XHD... :D 

If u are serious and want to play games in glorious 2560 x 1600 at 120 Hz, then check out this link:

http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/DESKTOP/GRAPHICS/AMD-RAD...

I only wish i had the $$$$ to buy this card along with 3 Dell 30" Ultra Sharp XHD monitors, or at least 1 Sony IPS Panel 4K 40" or larger HDTV.

GAME ON! :pt1cable: 
-thomas the guest
December 12, 2012 3:37:59 PM

blubberduck86 said:
Dear Flexapr,

I don't think some of these ppl know what they are talking about, or spelling about either for that matter... :/ 
DISPLAY PORT 1.2 (and above) offers the highest quality resolution, frequency and colour available today, and will probably be the future standard once HD goes into XHD... :D 

If u are serious and want to play games in glorious 2560 x 1600 at 120 Hz, then check out this link:

http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/DESKTOP/GRAPHICS/AMD-RAD...

I only wish i had the $$$$ to buy this card along with 3 Dell 30" Ultra Sharp XHD monitors, or at least 1 Sony IPS Panel 4K 40" or larger HDTV.

GAME ON! :pt1cable: 
-thomas the guest

While the DisplayPort 1.2 offers higher resolutions and refresh rates in comparison to HDMI 1.4a and below, and more bandwidth than DVI-D connections, it does not offer a better image. If any of the connections offers you the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor, then Displayport does not improve things one bit. Displayport also adds sound support, like HDMI, and offers resolutions and refresh rates like dual-link DVI-D. All types give you digital images with the same quality.

And this post is over a year old!
!