Sign in with
Your question

1:2 CPU:RAM ratio possible?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 4, 2005 3:11:29 PM

With today's fast DDR1 modules, I was wondering if it was possible to run a Northwood A or B at 1:2 CPU:RAM ratio, meaning the RAM will run at the speed of the Quad-pumped FSB of either 400 or 533, and do away with Dual channel. This seems to make sense to me since DC doesn't come close to doubling practical bandwidth, so why not use a single module and double the speed?
I think I remember Crashman saying something about someone he knows who is running a Northwood A with a PC3200 stick, but this was a long time ago.
This could satisfy a bandwidth hungry P4, but how could it be done?

<b>Behold, Mine anger and My fury shall be poured out upon this place upon man and upon beast and upon the trees of the field and upon the fruit of the land and it shall burn and shall not be quenched

More about : cpu ram ratio

a b à CPUs
February 5, 2005 2:04:38 AM

Not officially supported, I ran a module at DDR400 on a P4S533 with a P4 1.8A. It worked GREAT. In fact, I was able to take the bus speed up to around 121 with the RAM at 2x CPU bus. I had to drop the ratio in order to get the CPU bus any higher than ~121MHz, this was using a module rated for DDR500.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
!