Sign in with
Your question

Laptop Suggestions

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
August 24, 2010 7:06:44 PM

I feel bad posting yet another one of these, but here it goes.

I'm looking for a mobile computer for work and development mostly. I'm still deciding whether I want a netbook or a notebook, which is what makes the decision even harder.

I am a computer technician, which also makes it harder because I have a prejudice against every brand. :na:  This also means that support is not a concern, as well, I do my own. :kaola: '

I will be using the system for web development, some other coding possibly, other web stuff, and for taking to customer's houses. Also it's nice to be lazy and surf in my bed or in the car.

My older laptop was an Acer from 6 years ago that died last year, and I've used my desktop since, so I'm not going to bother with comparisons in performance as I already got my money's worth from that slow thing.

I'm looking for something of good quality, so no Atoms, Pentiums, or Celerons. I do have a bit of an expectation, as my desktop is an i7, 6GB, 80GB SSD, Radeon HD5770. :sarcastic: 

Here's my FAQ fillout:

1_What is your budget?
I'm expecting to spend $400-650.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Uncertain, but probably 15" at the largest, I want it to be pretty portable.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Not a concern.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable.

5_How much battery life do you need?
Not a huge concern, but atleast 2 hours would be nice I suspect.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Not a concern, more of a luxury. I'd be fine if it ran the Source engine on lowest settings, but it doesn't even have to do that. I have an i7 gaming rig for that. :sarcastic: 

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Web development, programming, work, light entertainment, web surfing.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Atleast 160/250GB would be nice, but this isn't as big a deal for me.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I'd prefer an online store, mostly I trust NewEgg.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as possible of course. ;) 

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Not a priority.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I don't want Sony because I've torn enough of them apart to know they suck for repair, and I don't trust off-shoots like Hitachi, Fujitsu, PanaSonic, and ViewSonic. I really don't like Compaq and Gateway. I'd be fine with a name brand like Dell, HP, MSI, Lenovo, Acer, maybe even will give Toshiba a chance.

13_What country do you live in?
U.S.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
MUST have Windows 7 Home or Pro, no Starter crap. Also must have atleast 2GB RAM, I'm not skimping with a 1GB no matter how cheap it is. Must also be a dual-core or better processor, but not an Atom, Pentium, or Celeron dual-core. I'm talkin' Core 2 Duo, i3, i5, or whatever AMD's equivalence is.

I know I'm a little picky, but when you work on these things for a living, you get sick of the crappy cheap stuff people opt for from Walmart and wonder why it runs slow. Even with these stipulations, I still can't narrow results down very much on my own. I'd also like some other opinions as I'm naturally set to expect they all suck if they aren't i7's. :na: 

I do rather like something along this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Or a Dell Insprion 15R looks pretty tempting: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=f...

Also I won't be able to afford anything for another 2 weeks, so if anyone know of an upcoming game-changer...

More about : laptop suggestions

a b D Laptop
August 25, 2010 9:27:20 PM

Demonslay335 said:
I feel bad posting yet another one of these, but here it goes.

I'm looking for a mobile computer for work and development mostly. I'm still deciding whether I want a netbook or a notebook, which is what makes the decision even harder.

I am a computer technician, which also makes it harder because I have a prejudice against every brand. :na:  This also means that support is not a concern, as well, I do my own. :kaola: '

I will be using the system for web development, some other coding possibly, other web stuff, and for taking to customer's houses. Also it's nice to be lazy and surf in my bed or in the car.

My older laptop was an Acer from 6 years ago that died last year, and I've used my desktop since, so I'm not going to bother with comparisons in performance as I already got my money's worth from that slow thing.

I'm looking for something of good quality, so no Atoms, Pentiums, or Celerons. I do have a bit of an expectation, as my desktop is an i7, 6GB, 80GB SSD, Radeon HD5770. :sarcastic: 

Here's my FAQ fillout:

1_What is your budget?
I'm expecting to spend $400-650.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Uncertain, but probably 15" at the largest, I want it to be pretty portable.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Not a concern.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable.

5_How much battery life do you need?
Not a huge concern, but atleast 2 hours would be nice I suspect.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Not a concern, more of a luxury. I'd be fine if it ran the Source engine on lowest settings, but it doesn't even have to do that. I have an i7 gaming rig for that. :sarcastic: 

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Web development, programming, work, light entertainment, web surfing.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Atleast 160/250GB would be nice, but this isn't as big a deal for me.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I'd prefer an online store, mostly I trust NewEgg.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as possible of course. ;) 

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Not a priority.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I don't want Sony because I've torn enough of them apart to know they suck for repair, and I don't trust off-shoots like Hitachi, Fujitsu, PanaSonic, and ViewSonic. I really don't like Compaq and Gateway. I'd be fine with a name brand like Dell, HP, MSI, Lenovo, Acer, maybe even will give Toshiba a chance.

13_What country do you live in?
U.S.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
MUST have Windows 7 Home or Pro, no Starter crap. Also must have atleast 2GB RAM, I'm not skimping with a 1GB no matter how cheap it is. Must also be a dual-core or better processor, but not an Atom, Pentium, or Celeron dual-core. I'm talkin' Core 2 Duo, i3, i5, or whatever AMD's equivalence is.

I know I'm a little picky, but when you work on these things for a living, you get sick of the crappy cheap stuff people opt for from Walmart and wonder why it runs slow. Even with these stipulations, I still can't narrow results down very much on my own. I'd also like some other opinions as I'm naturally set to expect they all suck if they aren't i7's. :na: 

I do rather like something along this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Or a Dell Insprion 15R looks pretty tempting: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=f...

Also I won't be able to afford anything for another 2 weeks, so if anyone know of an upcoming game-changer...

Hi there,

A Dell Studio 15 might be a good fit! It has a fast processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive space.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team
August 26, 2010 4:13:57 AM

Oh sorry about the Dell link. Its an i3 with 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, HDMI out, Wifi N, Windows 7 64-bit. Its $550 plus tax (just under $600 including shipping to me). I'm pretty settled on it, anything I've found on Newegg for that price range only has 2GB RAM.

Thanks for the suggestions. That ASUS looks nice and has a pretty impressive looking battery life, and I think I like the size, but I'd rather spend $30 less for a more powerful machine, even if its a tad bigger.

Also that Dell Studio 15 is pretty slick, but the only ones I saw were dual-core Pentiums, or closer to $700. =\

Thanks for the extra considerations guys, but I think I've settled for the 15R. I've also got some extra copies of Windows 7 Pro that I'll probably throw on it instead of the Home Premium. I may also option it a bit up since I can put a payment plan on it and pay it off in a few weeks. :p 
a b D Laptop
August 26, 2010 4:50:51 PM

Demonslay335 said:
Oh sorry about the Dell link. Its an i3 with 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, HDMI out, Wifi N, Windows 7 64-bit. Its $550 plus tax (just under $600 including shipping to me). I'm pretty settled on it, anything I've found on Newegg for that price range only has 2GB RAM.

Thanks for the suggestions. That ASUS looks nice and has a pretty impressive looking battery life, and I think I like the size, but I'd rather spend $30 less for a more powerful machine, even if its a tad bigger.

Also that Dell Studio 15 is pretty slick, but the only ones I saw were dual-core Pentiums, or closer to $700. =\

Thanks for the extra considerations guys, but I think I've settled for the 15R. I've also got some extra copies of Windows 7 Pro that I'll probably throw on it instead of the Home Premium. I may also option it a bit up since I can put a payment plan on it and pay it off in a few weeks. :p 

Hi there,

You're welcome! I'm glad I was able to contribute and I think you will enjoy the 15R.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team
!