TECH: TZ DMD problem

Last response: in Video Games
Share
September 11, 2005 10:18:43 PM

Just recently my TZ DMD has started to be jumbled and missing
information. When I ran the DMD test the first two test passed fine
and showed all of the "dots". When the "all on" tests started I
basically got a jumbled mess in the DMD. I reseated all of the ribbon
cables on all of the boards without it making a difference. I then
checked the voltages with the connector in place and got:

Pin 1: -113V
Pin 2: -102.6V
Pin 3: key
Pin 4: Gnd
Pin 5: Gnd
Pin 6: 4.87V
Pin 7: 11.8V
Pin 8: 29.8V

When I unplugged the connector and checked the voltages again I got
60.5V on pin 8. In Clay's guide it says this could be the DMD or the
HV section of the controller board could be bad. Is there anything
else I can check to narrow it down since I don't have easy access to
another machine to try either the DMD or board in (maybe it's time to
buy that second machine!). Also if I pull the board to check the trace
under R9 as Clay suggests, shouldn't I just go ahead and rebuild the HV
section, since it's inexpensive? Any suggestions or second opinions
are always welcomed.

Thanks, Phil

More about : tech dmd problem

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 12:28:57 AM

Post the area you live in. Maybe a collector in your area will let you try
your DMD and DMD driver board in their game and help you narrow down your
problem. LTG :)

"kingsize" <racerx@zoomtown.com> wrote in message
> Just recently my TZ DMD has started to be jumbled and missing
> information. When I ran the DMD test the first two test passed fine
> and showed all of the "dots". When the "all on" tests started I
> basically got a jumbled mess in the DMD. I reseated all of the ribbon
> cables on all of the boards without it making a difference. I then
> checked the voltages with the connector in place and got:
>
> Pin 1: -113V
> Pin 2: -102.6V
> Pin 3: key
> Pin 4: Gnd
> Pin 5: Gnd
> Pin 6: 4.87V
> Pin 7: 11.8V
> Pin 8: 29.8V
>
> When I unplugged the connector and checked the voltages again I got
> 60.5V on pin 8. In Clay's guide it says this could be the DMD or the
> HV section of the controller board could be bad. Is there anything
> else I can check to narrow it down since I don't have easy access to
> another machine to try either the DMD or board in (maybe it's time to
> buy that second machine!). Also if I pull the board to check the trace
> under R9 as Clay suggests, shouldn't I just go ahead and rebuild the HV
> section, since it's inexpensive? Any suggestions or second opinions
> are always welcomed.
>
> Thanks, Phil

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:38:11 AM

You've narrowed it down enough! You have
a problem in the high voltage section.

Repair or replace as needed.

--
Fred
TX

"kingsize" <racerx@zoomtown.com> wrote

> When I unplugged the connector and checked the voltages again I got
> 60.5V on pin 8. In Clay's guide it says this could be the DMD or the
> HV section of the controller board could be bad. Is there anything
> else I can check to narrow it down since I don't have easy access to
> another machine to try either the DMD or board in (maybe it's time to
> buy that second machine!). Also if I pull the board to check the trace
> under R9 as Clay suggests, shouldn't I just go ahead and rebuild the HV
> section, since it's inexpensive? Any suggestions or second opinions
> are always welcomed.
Related resources
September 12, 2005 3:07:46 AM

The DMD controller HV piggyback boards are great for this.

Can be installed in a few minutes and if the problem clears up the HV
section on the original board is bad. In addition, the display works great
and the problem is fixed until the parts are available to fix the HV section
of the dmd controller board.

Great kits here to fix the original board :

http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=...

Order extras. You will use them and Ed is wonderful.

You can also buy a replacement dmd controller board.

Otto

CARGPB11

September 21, 2005 11:40:58 AM

Thanks for everyone's help as always. I purchased the HV piggyback
board and everything is perfect in my world again.

Phil
September 21, 2005 5:13:20 PM

Otto,

I think I am going to buy a replacement dmd controller board and then
the kit to fix my original. Right now I only have the one machine but
of course the ultimate goal is to own them all ;)

Thanks for your wisdom and suggestions,

Phil
September 21, 2005 5:14:59 PM

A thought for your consideration.

I use the HV piggyback as a stop gap measure and as a troubleshooting tool.

Display start acting up or dies and HV problem suspected--pop in the HV
piggyback. Problem fixed?--I know it is the HV section. When time and
conditions permit, I pull the original DMD board and rebuild it with one of
Ed's rebuild kits($5). Put the rebuilt Dmd controller board, problem fixed,
now I have my piggyback for the next board that goes out in another game.

If you want to get crazy with it like me, you have a spare, rebuilt dmd
controller board so that you have the option, once the piggyback determines
the problem is the HV section, to just swap the boards and rebuild the bad
one at your leisure. Plus you have the piggyback on hand for the next
failure.

Of course, if you only have one Wpc style game no need for this. If you have
mutliple games, it can help. The HV sections have a funny way of failing
right at the beginning of a gathering of friends.

--
Otto

CARGPB11

!