TECH: TZ DMD problem

Just recently my TZ DMD has started to be jumbled and missing
information. When I ran the DMD test the first two test passed fine
and showed all of the "dots". When the "all on" tests started I
basically got a jumbled mess in the DMD. I reseated all of the ribbon
cables on all of the boards without it making a difference. I then
checked the voltages with the connector in place and got:

Pin 1: -113V
Pin 2: -102.6V
Pin 3: key
Pin 4: Gnd
Pin 5: Gnd
Pin 6: 4.87V
Pin 7: 11.8V
Pin 8: 29.8V

When I unplugged the connector and checked the voltages again I got
60.5V on pin 8. In Clay's guide it says this could be the DMD or the
HV section of the controller board could be bad. Is there anything
else I can check to narrow it down since I don't have easy access to
another machine to try either the DMD or board in (maybe it's time to
buy that second machine!). Also if I pull the board to check the trace
under R9 as Clay suggests, shouldn't I just go ahead and rebuild the HV
section, since it's inexpensive? Any suggestions or second opinions
are always welcomed.

Thanks, Phil
6 answers Last reply
More about tech problem

    Post the area you live in. Maybe a collector in your area will let you try
    your DMD and DMD driver board in their game and help you narrow down your
    problem. LTG :)

    "kingsize" <racerx@zoomtown.com> wrote in message
    > Just recently my TZ DMD has started to be jumbled and missing
    > information. When I ran the DMD test the first two test passed fine
    > and showed all of the "dots". When the "all on" tests started I
    > basically got a jumbled mess in the DMD. I reseated all of the ribbon
    > cables on all of the boards without it making a difference. I then
    > checked the voltages with the connector in place and got:
    >
    > Pin 1: -113V
    > Pin 2: -102.6V
    > Pin 3: key
    > Pin 4: Gnd
    > Pin 5: Gnd
    > Pin 6: 4.87V
    > Pin 7: 11.8V
    > Pin 8: 29.8V
    >
    > When I unplugged the connector and checked the voltages again I got
    > 60.5V on pin 8. In Clay's guide it says this could be the DMD or the
    > HV section of the controller board could be bad. Is there anything
    > else I can check to narrow it down since I don't have easy access to
    > another machine to try either the DMD or board in (maybe it's time to
    > buy that second machine!). Also if I pull the board to check the trace
    > under R9 as Clay suggests, shouldn't I just go ahead and rebuild the HV
    > section, since it's inexpensive? Any suggestions or second opinions
    > are always welcomed.
    >
    > Thanks, Phil

    You've narrowed it down enough! You have
    a problem in the high voltage section.

    Repair or replace as needed.

    --
    Fred
    TX

    "kingsize" <racerx@zoomtown.com> wrote

    > When I unplugged the connector and checked the voltages again I got
    > 60.5V on pin 8. In Clay's guide it says this could be the DMD or the
    > HV section of the controller board could be bad. Is there anything
    > else I can check to narrow it down since I don't have easy access to
    > another machine to try either the DMD or board in (maybe it's time to
    > buy that second machine!). Also if I pull the board to check the trace
    > under R9 as Clay suggests, shouldn't I just go ahead and rebuild the HV
    > section, since it's inexpensive? Any suggestions or second opinions
    > are always welcomed.

    The DMD controller HV piggyback boards are great for this.

    Can be installed in a few minutes and if the problem clears up the HV
    section on the original board is bad. In addition, the display works great
    and the problem is fixed until the parts are available to fix the HV section
    of the dmd controller board.

    Great kits here to fix the original board :

    http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=45

    Order extras. You will use them and Ed is wonderful.

    You can also buy a replacement dmd controller board.

    Otto

    CARGPB11

    Thanks for everyone's help as always. I purchased the HV piggyback
    board and everything is perfect in my world again.

    Phil

    Otto,

    I think I am going to buy a replacement dmd controller board and then
    the kit to fix my original. Right now I only have the one machine but
    of course the ultimate goal is to own them all ;)

    Thanks for your wisdom and suggestions,

    Phil

    A thought for your consideration.

    I use the HV piggyback as a stop gap measure and as a troubleshooting tool.

    Display start acting up or dies and HV problem suspected--pop in the HV
    piggyback. Problem fixed?--I know it is the HV section. When time and
    conditions permit, I pull the original DMD board and rebuild it with one of
    Ed's rebuild kits($5). Put the rebuilt Dmd controller board, problem fixed,
    now I have my piggyback for the next board that goes out in another game.

    If you want to get crazy with it like me, you have a spare, rebuilt dmd
    controller board so that you have the option, once the piggyback determines
    the problem is the HV section, to just swap the boards and rebuild the bad
    one at your leisure. Plus you have the piggyback on hand for the next
    failure.

    Of course, if you only have one Wpc style game no need for this. If you have
    mutliple games, it can help. The HV sections have a funny way of failing
    right at the beginning of a gathering of friends.

    --
    Otto

    CARGPB11

    > Thanks for everyone's help as always. I purchased the HV piggyback
    > board and everything is perfect in my world again.
    >
    > Phil

Video Games