Catalyst control centre host application has stopped working ati - how to fix it

Pappy_70

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
While cleaning my wife's PC, (windows 7x64), I came across the same problem with the Catalyst Control Center has stopped working message.
There is a simple fix that will probably work for a major part of complaints. The problem lies with malware that changes the file attributes of files in the USERS/Appdata directory. Here is what I did to fix this problem as well as some others. Go to the USERS folder in the root directory and RIGHT CLICK to bring up PROPERTIES. At the bottom of the GENERAL properties there is a check box labeled HIDDEN. Put a check in the box and click APPLY. A window will pop up asking if you want to apply to ALL subdirectories. check Yes and OK. Another window will pop up letting you know that it is working. When it is finished resetting all the subdirectories to HIDDEN repeat the process. This time with the properties check box UNMARKED and hit Apply and select ALL again and click Ok. When it finishes resetting all the sub-directories you are finished. The Control Center should now be able to work and the error message should stop appearing. NOW RUN THAT MALWARE CHECK BEFORE IT HAPPENS AGAIN or preferbly before you start the above procedure. The scan software will not fix the HIDDEN attributes of the files needed to run the Control Center and other programs that rely on the files in the USERS folder.

Hope this helps,

Pappy

Zivko Gaborov

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
Didn't worked for me.... i don't know what is the problem. My catalist control center closed right after i double clicked on that icon. I don't know why and what is the problem. That folder hide/show solution maybe worked for lot of people, but not for me.... please, if anyone maybe even think that he knows the answer, tell me.... i am desperate.

shubham singhal

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
i did that hidden thing .but when i do that a window pops up say it cant give an attribute to a file.i ignore that thing and move on to the process.also when i revert the process for the unhiding thing ,same problem occurs.can anyone comeup for that solution?(this attribute thing)

hemantg324

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Hi,

to solve this solution which worked for me is

step 1 go to

C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static

step 2 find file CCC.exe

step 3 right click the file go to properties

step 4 in properties window go to compatibility tab

step 5 in compatibility tab you will find comparability mode check the check box and from drop down choose window 7 and click apply all done just restart your pc.

this worked for me for my dell inspiron 7520 with x64 windows 8 running on it.

hope it works ....:)

Roxa

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

tarunkumar2

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
try these
1.uninstall the driver from programs and features
2. post uninstallation if you get a prompt to restart the computer, then restart it
3. now once the system boots back up, go to device manager and under display adaptor, you should be seeing something call standard vga adaptor, if you dont see that and if you still see the amd card showing up there, do a rt click on it and click on uninstall, also check the box that says "remove the software for this device" and then clear the temp folder
4. now also go to the programs/programs(x86) folder and check if there are any folders pertaining to amd or ATI, if you find any do a shift delete, do the same in users/app data as well
5. now restart the computer and check , you display adaptor should be showing as standard vga adaptor
Note: post driver uninstallation, when you restart the computer, windows updates may try to install the driver back again, so when you get such notification ,click on the option "skip obtaining driver from windows updates" and then you can go ahead and install the fresh copy of drivers.

These are the steps for a clean reinstall of drivers, let me know if that helps

sandrahany

Reputable
May 9, 2014

Adyx50

Reputable
May 15, 2014
I had the same problem after i updated my windows 8 to windows 8.1. A popular solution that i found online was to uninstall and install back the CCC... the problem is if you don't know what your doing you might end up with a black screen. My solution: Look in C:\AMD\WU-CCC2\ccc2_install\setup.exe. Run the setup and it will automatically reinstall CCC. After doing that had no more problems with CCC error.
Hope this helps.

Adyx50

Reputable
May 15, 2014

I had the same problem after i updated my windows 8 to windows 8.1. A popular solution that i found online was to uninstall and install back the CCC... the problem is if you don't know what your doing you might end up with a black screen. My solution: Look in C:\AMD\WU-CCC2\ccc2_install\setup.exe. Run the setup and it will automatically reinstall CCC. After doing that had no more problems with CCC error.
Hope this helps.

Anonymous99999

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014

Enable viewing of hidden files.

View -> Check "Hidden Files"

Then repeat what the others have stated

twodose

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014
I tried everything i know, and most mentioned above, they only thing i found that would work is installing an older driver version, i installed version 13.12, i had the same problem on 2 computers and installing the older ver. of the software solved the problem on both. Win 7x64. Uninstall drivers from control panel, programs and features, uninstall video card from device manager, run driver fusion, then reinstall older driver version. I was running the most current drivers from ati, 14.5 or 14.9 i forget which, that was causing the problem for me.

ctrlaltwalsh

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
Hi All,

There is another scenario -- You've just reinstalled Windows and your temp/users directory is on a drive seperate to your OS..

Eg. Your Windows drive is C:\
And Your Users and/or Temp folders are on D:\Users\blah

... If your D:\ hasn't been formatted since the new Windows install it is likely under the previous installs ownership still, to fix this on the D:\Users / D:\Temp folder .. goto properties -> Security -> Advanced Security Settings -> and change the ownership to "Users" or System, or Administrator, etc. I suggest users.

hemant katesaria

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015
Hi,

to solve this solution which worked for me is

step 1 go to

C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static

step 2 find file CCC.exe

step 3 right click the file go to properties

step 4 in properties window go to compatibility tab

step 5 in compatibility tab you will find comparability mode check the check box and from drop down choose window 8 and click apply all done just restart your pc.

this worked for me for my dell inspiron 7520 with x64 windows 8 running on it.

hope it works ....:)

vyksky

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015

Hi Pappy,
I had this problem and I tried what you've done. Apparently it works.
Thanks a lot.
But could you please advice how can I run that malware check before it happens again?
Many thanks in advanced.

vyksky

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
Hi Pappy,
I had this problem and I tried what you've done. Apparently it works.
Thanks a lot.
But could you please advice how can I run that malware check before it happens again?
Many thanks in advanced

Rakesh Roushan

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
There is a simple solution

Just go to C:/users/(your_user_name)/AppData/Local
and delete the ATI folder.

Go to desktop and right click and open AMD Graphics Properties and it will recreate the folder and voila catalyst control center just opened for you and started working again.

It worked for my case, hope it works for you too.