playfield glass - any substitutes?

This may have been tossed around (I'm sure it has), but I really don't like
pulling the large sheet of tempered glass out of my early SS Bally games
when I work on them. Scares the daylights out of me. Has anyone tried
something else (I was thinking Lexan)?

Just a thought.
36 answers Last reply
More about playfield glass substitutes

    Just use ample caution and you'll be fine!

    Wear: safety goggles/galsses, leather gloves, long jeans pants, closed
    shoes/boots like vietnam jungle boots, and long sleeve plad shirt.

    Lexan scratches too easy, and can get cloudy. LTG :)

    "raptor68_428" <raptor68_428_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > This may have been tossed around (I'm sure it has), but I really don't
    like
    > pulling the large sheet of tempered glass out of my early SS Bally games
    > when I work on them. Scares the daylights out of me. Has anyone tried
    > something else (I was thinking Lexan)?
    >
    > Just a thought.

    I've had three (technically 2) blow up on me in the past two years.

    1st was from a TV/Entertainment systems (not really a pinball but the
    overall effect when it blows it the same)
    I barely touched it to cement garage floor and BOOM.

    You would not believe the mess and how many little pieces of glass end up
    ALL over the place. You still be finding pieces weeks/months later.

    2nd was from a Fish Tales (I still find little bit of glass here and there
    every I 'shop' it)
    This one just went off in my hands (temperature?)

    3rd was from a F14 but not near the game.
    Also touched it to concrete floor.

    You never get used to the experience. At least not after 3 times.

    I think it has allot to do with how old the glass is and if there are any
    existing defects.

    There are built in stresses in the glass and if there is a small crack,
    chip, ding, whatever....there is a higher likely hood of 'explosion'

    But, I usually have the glass out of one machine or another every week
    still.......

    Lloyd Olson wrote:
    > Lexan scratches too easy, and can get cloudy. LTG :)

    Yeah, and plus lexan does not make that loud "Klank" when ya pound on
    the glass because the machine stole your last ball again. I actualy
    find it quite therapeutic.

    Have fun, Karl.

    I've received games with Plexi for glass. All
    were scratched so bad that it was hard to see
    the playfield.

    I'd say it doesn't work well.

    --
    Fred
    TX

    "raptor68_428" <raptor68_428_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Xns96CED9E547266raptor68428@207.217.125.201...
    > This may have been tossed around (I'm sure it has), but I really don't like
    > pulling the large sheet of tempered glass out of my early SS Bally games
    > when I work on them. Scares the daylights out of me. Has anyone tried
    > something else (I was thinking Lexan)?
    >
    > Just a thought.

    Two words: Transparent Aluminum

    *I* think it has a lot to do with concrete floors!!! ;)
    --
    Fred
    TX

    "skidog" <rpresuttiUNMUNGE@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:hq6Ve.136$lg5.108@bignews5.bellsouth.net...

    > I think it has allot to do with how old the glass is and if there are any
    > existing defects.

    > There are built in stresses in the glass and if there is a small crack,
    > chip, ding, whatever....there is a higher likely hood of 'explosion'

    the stresses are actually a design "feature" it's done by blowing cool air
    on the piece as it's formed. it's the reason you get those "million"
    pieces all over the place, but keep in mind those are preferable to large
    shards that can easily slice off a hand or arm or foot or head or whatever!

    --
    billb

    I can always count on this group to give me something new to worry
    about. :P

    http://www.pinballblog.com
    http://www.gameroomblog.com

    On 11 Sep 2005 21:52:07 -0700, "Karl" <hondaruehs@aol.com> wrote:

    >Two words: Transparent Aluminum

    I tried that. Too soft, it dimples like the playfield.

    raptor68_428 wrote:
    > This may have been tossed around (I'm sure it has), but I really don't like
    > pulling the large sheet of tempered glass out of my early SS Bally games
    > when I work on them. Scares the daylights out of me. Has anyone tried
    > something else (I was thinking Lexan)?
    >
    > Just a thought.

    Tempered glass is an odd duck- you can drop a sheet on the ground, hit
    it with a hammer, beat your red-head stepchild with it and it won't
    break. Set it down with one grain of sand under the edge and you have a
    pile of it.

    It's not going to kill you if it breaks. It only breaks in rare cases.
    Life has enough stresses, pinball glass shouldn't be one of them.

    Kirb

    Ok, I'm going to go out on limb here. I know the safety police will be
    listening. My first ever pin came to me with standard glass. One sad
    day, I was working in my attic and fell through the ceiling. Right
    above the pinball machine. The glass broke neatly into three big
    pieces. I was not injured by the glass, though I know I was lucky.
    After I repaired the machine, I replaced the glass with standard glass
    from the glass shop. I think I paid $11. I think I'd rather pick up
    three big pieces with gloves as opposed to vacumming thousands of
    little cubes.

    Jerry

    MrWurm wrote:
    > Ok, I'm going to go out on limb here. I know the safety police will be
    > listening. My first ever pin came to me with standard glass. One sad
    > day, I was working in my attic and fell through the ceiling. Right
    > above the pinball machine. The glass broke neatly into three big
    > pieces. I was not injured by the glass, though I know I was lucky.
    > After I repaired the machine, I replaced the glass with standard glass
    > from the glass shop. I think I paid $11. I think I'd rather pick up
    > three big pieces with gloves as opposed to vacumming thousands of
    > little cubes.
    >
    > Jerry

    I'm not sure what about the above is the worst part of the story- not
    replacing plate glass with tempered, falling through the ceiling,
    breaking said plate glass because you fell through the ceiling, BUYING
    a new piece of plate glass that you just broke, or thinking that the
    cleanup is the biggest problem.

    Chances are that the glass would not have broke if it was tempered in
    the first place.

    Kirb

    Jerry, were you hiding behind the door when they were passing
    out the brains? So let me get this straight... You're lazy.
    Really lazy. And dumb as a bag of nails. Because you would
    rather pick up 3 pieces of BIG SHARP glass that could have
    easily IMPALED YOUR DUMB ASS as you fell through the ceiling
    and killed you. This instead of spending 10 minutes with a
    vacuum picking up lots of chicklet glass chunks. This is why
    Darwin is my hero.

    c...@provide.net wrote:
    > Jerry, were you hiding behind the door when they were passing
    > out the brains? So let me get this straight... You're lazy.
    > Really lazy. And dumb as a bag of nails. Because you would
    > rather pick up 3 pieces of BIG SHARP glass that could have
    > easily IMPALED YOUR DUMB ASS as you fell through the ceiling
    > and killed you. This instead of spending 10 minutes with a
    > vacuum picking up lots of chicklet glass chunks. This is why
    > Darwin is my hero.

    This from a guy who chooses the oddest things to make a boat out of....

    Kirb

    (actually, he is cheap AND lazy since he was proud to spend $11 on a
    new piece of plate glass instead of $25)

    I only use plate in mine. Never a problem. Airballs, moving, shipping,
    etc. I even have plate glass windows in my house, and sliding
    dividers in a hutch made out of plate (factory made).

    Cleaning up after a broken tempered sheet is way more than just
    vacumming up. It breaks in to tiny shards that get into all the
    switches. You can't get all the tiny flakes out of a game without darn
    near shopping it, and if you don't you need to wear gloves when cleaning
    the playfield as these small pieces love to get into your finger
    tips....from my experience anyway.

    An exploding tempered sheet will cut your hands a small amount, at least
    the last one I had explode did to mine. Now, pulling the playfield
    glass out with gloves wether tempered or not is a bit of smart
    insurance. I think all the tempered glass police here are just way over
    the top.

    I don't bang on the playfield glass with my hand while I play, nor have
    kids.

    I refuse to be scared to open windows either.

    My .02

    - David K.

    MrWurm wrote:
    > Ok, I'm going to go out on limb here. I know the safety police will be
    > listening. My first ever pin came to me with standard glass. One sad
    > day, I was working in my attic and fell through the ceiling. Right
    > above the pinball machine. The glass broke neatly into three big
    > pieces. I was not injured by the glass, though I know I was lucky.
    > After I repaired the machine, I replaced the glass with standard glass
    > from the glass shop. I think I paid $11. I think I'd rather pick up
    > three big pieces with gloves as opposed to vacumming thousands of
    > little cubes.
    >
    > Jerry

    Where do you get tempered glass for $25? I replaced one on a machine on
    location here in Southern Oregon and the cheapest I could get was $65.

    - David K.

    kirb wrote:

    > c...@provide.net wrote:
    >
    >>Jerry, were you hiding behind the door when they were passing
    >>out the brains? So let me get this straight... You're lazy.
    >>Really lazy. And dumb as a bag of nails. Because you would
    >>rather pick up 3 pieces of BIG SHARP glass that could have
    >>easily IMPALED YOUR DUMB ASS as you fell through the ceiling
    >>and killed you. This instead of spending 10 minutes with a
    >>vacuum picking up lots of chicklet glass chunks. This is why
    >>Darwin is my hero.
    >

    > This from a guy who chooses the oddest things to make a boat out of....
    >
    > Kirb
    >
    > (actually, he is cheap AND lazy since he was proud to spend $11 on a
    > new piece of plate glass instead of $25)

    Wow, these reactions are more harsh than I expected. So, automobiles
    have tempered glass, but most other glass around the home is the
    non-tempered 'single strength' variety (windows) (patio doors). Why
    are we more concerned about pinball glass than other glass panes ? I
    also participate in the aquarium hobby. All good quality aquariums are
    single strength 'non tempered' glass. Only the cheap ones have either
    tempered bottoms or tempered on bottom and all sides. I am told they do
    this only to reduce shipping weight by substituting thinner tempered
    glass for the heavy, thick gauge glass used on expensive tanks. I'm
    not trying to be argumentative, but maybe you guys can help me
    understand this.

    Also, I've seen a few kids and one or two adults walk into patio doors
    that they thought were open. None of these broke, but there was the
    opportunity. As far as I know, these are not safety glass. So, again,
    why tempered in a pinball machine and not for a patio door?

    Jerry

    On 12 Sep 2005 11:32:07 -0700, "MrWurm" <webwurm@direcway.com> wrote:

    [...]

    >Also, I've seen a few kids and one or two adults walk into patio doors
    >that they thought were open. None of these broke, but there was the
    >opportunity. As far as I know, these are not safety glass. So, again,
    >why tempered in a pinball machine and not for a patio door?

    Built a house lately? We did, and our house has four glass patio
    doors. All are tempered as required by code.

    MrWurm wrote:

    > Also, I've seen a few kids and one or two adults walk into patio doors
    > that they thought were open. None of these broke, but there was the
    > opportunity. As far as I know, these are not safety glass. So, again,
    > why tempered in a pinball machine and not for a patio door?

    A friend's sliding patio door was broken in a move, clearly tempered
    glass.

    Is there an easy way to check? Without breaking the glass? I have a
    sliding patio door as well as a couple of storm doors. I'd certainly
    like to have tempered in each...

    But if I remember physics class well enough, glass is weakest when
    tapped on edge.

    -Sandro

    David K. wrote:
    > Where do you get tempered glass for $25? I replaced one on a machine on
    > location here in Southern Oregon and the cheapest I could get was $65.
    >
    > - David K.

    I bought them from a bulk buy or from a dealer at a show. Maybe I paid
    $35 for one, I don't remember.

    You pay more at a glass shop (~$50)

    Kirb

    MrWurm wrote:
    > Wow, these reactions are more harsh than I expected. So, automobiles
    > have tempered glass, but most other glass around the home is the
    > non-tempered 'single strength' variety (windows) (patio doors). Why
    > are we more concerned about pinball glass than other glass panes ? I
    > also participate in the aquarium hobby. All good quality aquariums are
    > single strength 'non tempered' glass. Only the cheap ones have either
    > tempered bottoms or tempered on bottom and all sides. I am told they do
    > this only to reduce shipping weight by substituting thinner tempered
    > glass for the heavy, thick gauge glass used on expensive tanks. I'm
    > not trying to be argumentative, but maybe you guys can help me
    > understand this.

    Doors are going to be tempered in the last 20-25 years. Windows might
    not be, but when is the last time you fell through a window? Aquariums
    are not tempered? Are you sure? Even if they are not they are SO thick
    that it isn't a problem.

    Kirb

    On 12 Sep 2005 11:49:10 -0700, "sandro" <sandro.fouche@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    [...]

    >Is there an easy way to check? Without breaking the glass? I have a
    >sliding patio door as well as a couple of storm doors. I'd certainly
    >like to have tempered in each...

    Usually there is a manufacturer and a code in one corner that you can
    track down to see. If you're lucky it will say "tempered" somewhere on
    the glass.

    Yes Kirb, I am sure about the aquariums. Many folks bore holes in
    their aquariums and install bulk head fittings for plumbing. Tempered
    glass would shatter if you tried to drill it. Its only the cheapy
    tanks that use tempered glass.

    That doesn't sound like properly tempered glass to me. Yes it's a shock to
    have one explode into smithereens in your hands, (I've had it happen) but
    I've never seen shards and never been cut. I've heard of experiments to test
    tempered versus not but I do think falling through a ceiling is taking
    testing a little too far ;-)

    GRY

    "David K." <pinballNOSPAM@bigweenie.com> wrote in message

    > I only use plate in mine. Never a problem. Airballs, moving, shipping,
    > etc. I even have plate glass windows in my house, and sliding dividers in
    > a hutch made out of plate (factory made).
    >
    > Cleaning up after a broken tempered sheet is way more than just vacumming
    > up. It breaks in to tiny shards that get into all the switches. You
    > can't get all the tiny flakes out of a game without darn near shopping it,
    > and if you don't you need to wear gloves when cleaning the playfield as
    > these small pieces love to get into your finger tips....from my experience
    > anyway.
    >
    > An exploding tempered sheet will cut your hands a small amount, at least
    > the last one I had explode did to mine. Now, pulling the playfield glass
    > out with gloves wether tempered or not is a bit of smart insurance. I
    > think all the tempered glass police here are just way over the top.
    >
    > I don't bang on the playfield glass with my hand while I play, nor have
    > kids.
    >
    > I refuse to be scared to open windows either.
    >
    > My .02
    >
    > - David K.
    >

    > MrWurm wrote:
    >> Ok, I'm going to go out on limb here. I know the safety police will be
    >> listening. My first ever pin came to me with standard glass. One sad
    >> day, I was working in my attic and fell through the ceiling. Right
    >> above the pinball machine. The glass broke neatly into three big
    >> pieces. I was not injured by the glass, though I know I was lucky.
    >> After I repaired the machine, I replaced the glass with standard glass
    >> from the glass shop. I think I paid $11. I think I'd rather pick up
    >> three big pieces with gloves as opposed to vacumming thousands of
    >> little cubes.
    >>
    >> Jerry

    You might want to consider how you will feel if while handling the full
    sheet of glass while out the machine, it breaks and your loss of grip causes
    a large jagged shard to do a Braveheart(disembowelment) on your mid section.
    Or, perhaps open a large artery on your leg or arm--they really do spurt.

    I would much rather pick up all the little pieces than lay on the floor
    bleeding to death wondering if the 911 folks are going to get to me in time.

    Only use tempered glass on pinball machines. Anything else is negligence.
    Imo.

    Otto

    CARGPB11

    "MrWurm" <webwurm@direcway.com> wrote in message
    > I replaced the glass with standard glass
    > from the glass shop. I think I paid $11. I think I'd rather pick up
    > three big pieces with gloves as opposed to vacumming thousands of
    > little cubes.

    Because we have to regularily remove and handle the sheet of glass in order
    to maintain the pin.

    ?Why
    > are we more concerned about pinball glass than other glass panes ?

    The small cubes that tempered breaks into still have very sharp edges.
    I am not fast enough in the reflex department to stop putting holding
    pressure from my fingers on the glass when it exploded, leaving me
    pressing on a couple of the small cubes between thumb and index fingers.

    - David K.

    Ceegary wrote:
    > That doesn't sound like properly tempered glass to me. Yes it's a shock to
    > have one explode into smithereens in your hands, (I've had it happen) but
    > I've never seen shards and never been cut. I've heard of experiments to test
    > tempered versus not but I do think falling through a ceiling is taking
    > testing a little too far ;-)
    >
    > GRY
    >
    > "David K." <pinballNOSPAM@bigweenie.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I only use plate in mine. Never a problem. Airballs, moving, shipping,
    >>etc. I even have plate glass windows in my house, and sliding dividers in
    >>a hutch made out of plate (factory made).
    >>
    >>Cleaning up after a broken tempered sheet is way more than just vacumming
    >>up. It breaks in to tiny shards that get into all the switches. You
    >>can't get all the tiny flakes out of a game without darn near shopping it,
    >>and if you don't you need to wear gloves when cleaning the playfield as
    >>these small pieces love to get into your finger tips....from my experience
    >>anyway.
    >>
    >>An exploding tempered sheet will cut your hands a small amount, at least
    >>the last one I had explode did to mine. Now, pulling the playfield glass
    >>out with gloves wether tempered or not is a bit of smart insurance. I
    >>think all the tempered glass police here are just way over the top.
    >>
    >>I don't bang on the playfield glass with my hand while I play, nor have
    >>kids.
    >>
    >>I refuse to be scared to open windows either.
    >>
    >>My .02
    >>
    >>- David K.
    >>

    >>MrWurm wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ok, I'm going to go out on limb here. I know the safety police will be
    >>>listening. My first ever pin came to me with standard glass. One sad
    >>>day, I was working in my attic and fell through the ceiling. Right
    >>>above the pinball machine. The glass broke neatly into three big
    >>>pieces. I was not injured by the glass, though I know I was lucky.
    >>>After I repaired the machine, I replaced the glass with standard glass
    >>>from the glass shop. I think I paid $11. I think I'd rather pick up
    >>>three big pieces with gloves as opposed to vacumming thousands of
    >>>little cubes.
    >>>
    >>>Jerry

    Having formerly done factory work assembling both tempered and
    non-tempered (annealed) windows, more often than not, very bad things
    happen when non-tempered glass breaks while handling. I guess you could
    use a laminated safety glass (think auto windshield) if you wanted to
    pay the price. This way if it did break, it would make for easy
    clean-up and no loss of life or limb.

    chris

    > How can you tell the difference in tempered or plate?

    One way is to put it in sunlight and wear some polorized sunglasses.
    You can see the tempered spots in the glass in most cases.

    Kirb

    Wear any decent pair of polarized sunglasses, & you'll see a "rainbow"
    effect on tempered glass, still makes me do a double-take on the road
    sometimes :)

    -Massachusetts Bruce

    "sandro" <sandro.fouche@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > MrWurm wrote:
    >
    >> Also, I've seen a few kids and one or two adults walk into patio doors
    >> that they thought were open. None of these broke, but there was the
    >> opportunity. As far as I know, these are not safety glass. So, again,
    >> why tempered in a pinball machine and not for a patio door?
    >>

    > A friend's sliding patio door was broken in a move, clearly tempered
    > glass.
    >
    > Is there an easy way to check? Without breaking the glass? I have a
    > sliding patio door as well as a couple of storm doors. I'd certainly
    > like to have tempered in each...
    >
    > But if I remember physics class well enough, glass is weakest when
    > tapped on edge.
    >
    > -Sandro

    The first thing they taught me on my first day as a repair tech at Leisure &
    Allied was *never ever* stand a playfield glass on a cement floor. I was also
    told that if nothing else was handy, rest the glass on the beer seal on the
    lockdown bar.

    "skidog" <rpresuttiUNMUNGE@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > I've had three (technically 2) blow up on me in the past two years.
    >
    > 1st was from a TV/Entertainment systems (not really a pinball but the overall
    > effect when it blows it the same)
    > I barely touched it to cement garage floor and BOOM.
    >
    > You would not believe the mess and how many little pieces of glass end up ALL
    > over the place. You still be finding pieces weeks/months later.
    >
    > 2nd was from a Fish Tales (I still find little bit of glass here and there
    > every I 'shop' it)
    > This one just went off in my hands (temperature?)
    >
    > 3rd was from a F14 but not near the game.
    > Also touched it to concrete floor.
    >
    > You never get used to the experience. At least not after 3 times.
    >
    > I think it has allot to do with how old the glass is and if there are any
    > existing defects.
    >
    > There are built in stresses in the glass and if there is a small crack, chip,
    > ding, whatever....there is a higher likely hood of 'explosion'
    >
    > But, I usually have the glass out of one machine or another every week
    > still.......
    >

    > "raptor68_428" <raptor68_428_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> This may have been tossed around (I'm sure it has), but I really don't like
    >> pulling the large sheet of tempered glass out of my early SS Bally games
    >> when I work on them. Scares the daylights out of me. Has anyone tried
    >> something else (I was thinking Lexan)?
    >>
    >> Just a thought.

    I've foundcleaning up tempered much easier, because there is not a lot of
    blood.
    "David K." <pinballNOSPAM@bigweenie.com> wrote in message

    > I only use plate in mine. Never a problem. Airballs, moving, shipping,
    > etc. I even have plate glass windows in my house, and sliding
    > dividers in a hutch made out of plate (factory made).
    >
    > Cleaning up after a broken tempered sheet is way more than just
    > vacumming up. It breaks in to tiny shards that get into all the
    > switches. You can't get all the tiny flakes out of a game without darn
    > near shopping it, and if you don't you need to wear gloves when cleaning
    > the playfield as these small pieces love to get into your finger
    > tips....from my experience anyway.
    >
    > An exploding tempered sheet will cut your hands a small amount, at least
    > the last one I had explode did to mine. Now, pulling the playfield
    > glass out with gloves wether tempered or not is a bit of smart
    > insurance. I think all the tempered glass police here are just way over
    > the top.
    >
    > I don't bang on the playfield glass with my hand while I play, nor have
    > kids.
    >
    > I refuse to be scared to open windows either.
    >
    > My .02
    >
    > - David K.
    >

    > MrWurm wrote:
    > > Ok, I'm going to go out on limb here. I know the safety police will be
    > > listening. My first ever pin came to me with standard glass. One sad
    > > day, I was working in my attic and fell through the ceiling. Right
    > > above the pinball machine. The glass broke neatly into three big
    > > pieces. I was not injured by the glass, though I know I was lucky.
    > > After I repaired the machine, I replaced the glass with standard glass
    > > from the glass shop. I think I paid $11. I think I'd rather pick up
    > > three big pieces with gloves as opposed to vacumming thousands of
    > > little cubes.
    > >
    > > Jerry

    "raptor68_428" <raptor68_428_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > This may have been tossed around (I'm sure it has), but I really don't
    > like pulling the large sheet of tempered glass out of my early SS
    > Bally games when I work on them. Scares the daylights out of me. Has
    > anyone tried something else (I was thinking Lexan)?
    >
    > Just a thought.

    Wow, thanks for all the input. I really don't know what's in either of
    mine. I like the tempered glass idea myself. Both my 8-ball and SnS glasses
    are in less than desirable shape (8-ball's is livable) - SnS actually has a
    line cut 3/4 of the way up, so is very annoying. I think I'll skip the
    Lexan...

    How can you tell the difference in tempered or plate?

    btw, I place the glass on 2 sawhorses with pads on top - horses close
    together...

    it's ok, he's a gonna use WD40 on the glass.

    --
    billb

    that's what i was thinking, i paid 40 or something.

    --
    billb

    > Where do you get tempered glass for $25? I replaced one on a machine on
    > location here in Southern Oregon and the cheapest I could get was $65.
    >
    > - David K.
    >

    > kirb wrote:
    >
    > > c...@provide.net wrote:
    > >
    > >>Jerry, were you hiding behind the door when they were passing
    > >>out the brains? So let me get this straight... You're lazy.
    > >>Really lazy. And dumb as a bag of nails. Because you would
    > >>rather pick up 3 pieces of BIG SHARP glass that could have
    > >>easily IMPALED YOUR DUMB ASS as you fell through the ceiling
    > >>and killed you. This instead of spending 10 minutes with a
    > >>vacuum picking up lots of chicklet glass chunks. This is why
    > >>Darwin is my hero.
    > >

    > > This from a guy who chooses the oddest things to make a boat out of....
    > >
    > > Kirb
    > >
    > > (actually, he is cheap AND lazy since he was proud to spend $11 on a
    > > new piece of plate glass instead of $25)

Games Video Games