IOError

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2005
CPU cooling problem, details below. Any recommendations on how to fix the heat?

Last week I upgraded my system with a new mobo, memory, CPU, video card and PSU. However, now I'm having cooling problems and the CPU is registering temperatures of up to 70C/150F, or thereabouts. Clearly, too high to be comfortable with. Sometimes it trips the heat warning beeping at 75C, a VERY bad sign.

Here's what I bought:

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (stock CPU heatsink & fan)
Abit AV8 motherboard
1Gb DDR400 RAM (Kingston)
Geforce FX 6800 GT
Enermax 12V 460 Watt PSU

Now, the cooling problems. The original case is an Alienware case from late 2001, so it's not brand new. Case cooling:

Front: 1 intake fan, in front of the hard drive
Side: 1 video card cooling fan, blowing over GPU
Back: 1 exhaust fan
PSU: 1 bottom fan, intake to PSU. 1 back fan, exhaust out the back.
CPU: Stock AMD-official heatsink and fan

The cooling problems are pretty worrying. Right now, idle in WinXP, I've got temperature ranges between 61C - 69C. (The AV8 mobo comes with a heat gauge and OC utilities, both for the CMOS and for Windows)

What can I do to fix this heat problem? :-\ New CPU heatsink? Some kind of heat transfer compound? Everything is at stock configuration as it came out of the box, no OCing has been done. Thanks!

Edit: I bought the components on MWave.com, and as part of a bundle offer they installed the CPU, memory and mobo together for me. (Extra $5 for piece of mind? Seems worthwhile.) However, I don't KNOW what they use when they do that. I don't know, for install, if a heating compound of any kind was used. (A project for Monday)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by IOError on 02/06/05 09:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
Too bad about the chipset. Nforce does stay cooler. The single chip chipset cuts down heat a lot.
Your monday project should include AS5. Chances are good, that the hsf got shaken out of place in transit. Hopefully the holddowns didn't get damaged.
Before you start, give the hsf a wiggle. If it is loose, send it back.

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Run your system with the case open. If the temps take a huge drop you have ventilation problems. Those can be solved with another case, changing fan directions or a slot cooler for the gpu (which is good for 100W of heat on its own in 3d mode).

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I'm running a similar rig myself. Just using an FX-53 and X800 XT PE video card. My rig gets into the hight 50's under "FarCry" load but other then that she's in the mid 20's to mid 30's Celcius. I'd say you should remove the HSF and chip. Clean both with the best, purest alcohol or nail polish remover you can find. Find some good Thermal paste and re-install both. Also run AMD's CoolnQuiet protocal and see if your temps don't drop.

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I keep telling people, DON"T BUY THAT AMD CRAP! INTEL RULES! My 1.4T-Bird blew off the board and poked my dog's eye out! How would you like to have a ONE-EYED DOG? HE LOOKS LIKE A DAMNED PIRATE WITH THE PATCH ON HIS EYE! The A64 chips are just plain old XP architecture with the 64bit registers added on! SO WHAT? Don't buy this garbage! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh. Damn, I've had a nightmare! NEVERMIND!

Mwave uses that white goop on their CPU's. Clean it off and use some AS5. Their stock heatsinks are Speeze Coolers but check the back-plate. They used to use a thin plastic back-plate instead of a metal one. That tends to let your board bend too much. Another thing, a lot of the A64 Bios's tend to read wrong temps. Make sure you have the latest BIOS.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

IOError

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2005
...Uh... *loss for words*

Cybercraig, I'm almost IMPRESSED how your first paragraph, in its entirety, makes you sound drunk or high, while your second paragraph appears to actually make sense. :-D The shift between the two is, uh, rather noticeable. ;) (And recommending Intel over AMD for a gaming rig is, I claim, a joke. Workstation in the office, oh sure go Intel. But not for games, period.)

My problem seems to mostly be the result of false positives from the Abit AV8 board, although I have the latest 17 BIOS version. (I might end up reflashing just in case at a later date) It appears that their forums are awash with people saying, "Yeah great board but... the temperature gauge you've got on it is a joke."

However, I will definitely install some AS5 just in case. It certainly won't hurt the machine any! :) The heatsink itself was well seated, and insulated properly with MWave's default heat conversion paste. (Better than naught.) The HSF itself is warm, a good sign. Cold would mean no real contact at all, hot would of course mean overheating. But warm is perfect. To the best of the research I've been able to do, it appears that I'm quite safe... I should however be cautious just in case, and as noted I'll order myself some AS5.

Thanks everybody! Your comments were all very helpful and I learned much from them. :)

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Dont pick on him about being drunk, hes in REHAB as we speak :smile:

Oh, and he said to put some ASS into it, not to install some Ass. Please try to pay closer attention to the details.

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

IOError

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2005
"ASS", huh? Not Arctic Silver 5, eh? Why yes, I shall have to keep that in mind. :p

You are very strange. And that's not in the slightest bit a bad thing! :D *toast to bizarre humor*

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Haha.. Not a bad one.

If only the real trolls of today were as entertaining :lol:

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
ROTFLMBBAO AS5 not ASS right... I can't tell you how many times I look at the former and think the latter. It's just my dirty mind.

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

endyen

Splendid
Actually, I think he said it the other way round. Now, when I buy AS, it comes in a small syringe type of container. Anyone know what lubricant comes like that? You know those cling-ons do seem to hang around asses a lot..

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
DO NOT USE AS5 FOR LUBRICUNT! DAMAGE MAY RESULT! :lol:

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot