Dimension 166 Processor speed

Tried to sign up for Verizon DSL service but found my trusty old 166 needs
to be at least 233 mhz. Can I do anything to meet this requirement?
Thanks, Rob R.
28 answers Last reply
More about dimension processor speed

    you don't really need a fast computer to use dsl. you don't need to install
    any of their software. but they want you to have a good experience with
    their service so state this somewhat low performance requirement. you can
    buy the cheapest new computer you can and have a much better experience than
    you with your old pc, or you could purchase a pentium overdrive processor to
    install in your present pc to achieve the 233mhz speed (probably under $30
    on ebay). but given the 166mhz performance level, or even if upgraded to
    the 233mhz speed, your computer probably has old software on it, either
    windows 95 or at best a early version of windows 98... and that means it
    will not be able to run the newer antivirus software, and that means you
    will be surfing at high speed with an unprotected computer which will likely
    get infected with some sort of virus or trojan in short order.... and that
    will make it even slower and create additional problems...

    "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net> wrote in message
    > Tried to sign up for Verizon DSL service but found my trusty old 166 needs
    > to be at least 233 mhz. Can I do anything to meet this requirement?
    > Thanks, Rob R.

    Thanks, "System Info" says I have
    Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A

    > you don't really need a fast computer to use dsl. you don't need to
    install
    > any of their software. but they want you to have a good experience with
    > their service so state this somewhat low performance requirement. you can
    > buy the cheapest new computer you can and have a much better experience
    than
    > you with your old pc, or you could purchase a pentium overdrive processor
    > install in your present pc to achieve the 233mhz speed (probably under $30
    > on ebay). but given the 166mhz performance level, or even if upgraded to
    > the 233mhz speed, your computer probably has old software on it, either
    > windows 95 or at best a early version of windows 98... and that means it
    > will not be able to run the newer antivirus software, and that means you
    > will be surfing at high speed with an unprotected computer which will
    likely
    > get infected with some sort of virus or trojan in short order.... and
    that
    > will make it even slower and create additional problems...
    >
    > "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net> wrote in message
    > > Tried to sign up for Verizon DSL service but found my trusty old 166
    needs
    > > to be at least 233 mhz. Can I do anything to meet this requirement?
    > > Thanks, Rob R.

    Also running eTrust EZ Antivirus (vers 6.1.7.0)
    Rob R.

    > you don't really need a fast computer to use dsl. you don't need to
    install
    > any of their software. but they want you to have a good experience with
    > their service so state this somewhat low performance requirement. you can
    > buy the cheapest new computer you can and have a much better experience
    than
    > you with your old pc, or you could purchase a pentium overdrive processor
    > install in your present pc to achieve the 233mhz speed (probably under $30
    > on ebay). but given the 166mhz performance level, or even if upgraded to
    > the 233mhz speed, your computer probably has old software on it, either
    > windows 95 or at best a early version of windows 98... and that means it
    > will not be able to run the newer antivirus software, and that means you
    > will be surfing at high speed with an unprotected computer which will
    likely
    > get infected with some sort of virus or trojan in short order.... and
    that
    > will make it even slower and create additional problems...
    >
    > "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net> wrote in message
    > > Tried to sign up for Verizon DSL service but found my trusty old 166
    needs
    > > to be at least 233 mhz. Can I do anything to meet this requirement?
    > > Thanks, Rob R.

    That's 98 SR2, the last version, so probably can run
    the AV software, but very slowly. How much memory?

    > Thanks, "System Info" says I have
    > Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
    >
    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > you don't really need a fast computer to use dsl. you don't need to
    > install
    > > any of their software. but they want you to have a good experience
    with
    > > their service so state this somewhat low performance requirement.
    you can
    > > buy the cheapest new computer you can and have a much better
    experience
    > than
    > > you with your old pc, or you could purchase a pentium overdrive
    processor
    > > install in your present pc to achieve the 233mhz speed (probably
    under $30
    > > on ebay). but given the 166mhz performance level, or even if
    upgraded to
    > > the 233mhz speed, your computer probably has old software on it,
    either
    > > windows 95 or at best a early version of windows 98... and that
    means it
    > > will not be able to run the newer antivirus software, and that means
    you
    > > will be surfing at high speed with an unprotected computer which
    will
    > likely
    > > get infected with some sort of virus or trojan in short order....
    and
    > that
    > > will make it even slower and create additional problems...
    > >
    > > "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net> wrote in message
    > > > Tried to sign up for Verizon DSL service but found my trusty old
    166
    > needs
    > > > to be at least 233 mhz. Can I do anything to meet this
    requirement?
    > > > Thanks, Rob R.

    Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
    Clean install using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=E:\WIN98 /IZ /IS
    /IQ /IT /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
    Uptime: 1:04:50:11
    Normal mode
    On "T9M5B3" as "Rob"

    GenuineIntel Pentium(r) Processor
    64MB RAM
    44% system resources free
    Windows-managed swap file on drive C (2829MB free)
    Available space on drive C: 2829MB of 8024MB (FAT32)

    R. Reading wrote:
    > Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
    > Clean install using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=E:\WIN98 /IZ /IS
    > /IQ /IT /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    > IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
    > Uptime: 1:04:50:11
    > Normal mode
    > On "T9M5B3" as "Rob"
    >
    > GenuineIntel Pentium(r) Processor
    > 64MB RAM
    > 44% system resources free
    > Windows-managed swap file on drive C (2829MB free)
    > Available space on drive C: 2829MB of 8024MB (FAT32)

    Good luck installing the Verizon software that comes on the CD. I tried
    a year ago to install it on a 1.5 GHz Pentium 4 with hundreds of GBs of
    free disk space. The installation program told me the computer didn't
    meet the minimum specs. The call to their 800 toll-free support line
    was a joke. They didn't have a clue how to fix the installation program.

    Google for raspppoe and install it. Don't even bother with the Verizon
    software (if you can call it that). I think raspppoe comes in a Win98
    version. That's all you need unless you want the MSN stuff.

    i tried verizon about a year ago and hated that i had to install
    all that software. they try to take over your whole computer,
    IE browser gets renamed and everything.
    I asked Customer Service how to use their DSL w/o having
    to use the software and they told me I had to. I said in that
    case my trial was over and returned their modem.

    "Anthony Soprano" <tsoprano@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > R. Reading wrote:
    > > Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
    > > Clean install using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=E:\WIN98 /IZ
    /IS
    > > /IQ /IT /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    > > IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
    > > Uptime: 1:04:50:11
    > > Normal mode
    > > On "T9M5B3" as "Rob"
    > >
    > > GenuineIntel Pentium(r) Processor
    > > 64MB RAM
    > > 44% system resources free
    > > Windows-managed swap file on drive C (2829MB free)
    > > Available space on drive C: 2829MB of 8024MB (FAT32)
    >
    > Good luck installing the Verizon software that comes on the CD. I tried
    > a year ago to install it on a 1.5 GHz Pentium 4 with hundreds of GBs of
    > free disk space. The installation program told me the computer didn't
    > meet the minimum specs. The call to their 800 toll-free support line
    > was a joke. They didn't have a clue how to fix the installation program.
    >
    > Google for raspppoe and install it. Don't even bother with the Verizon
    > software (if you can call it that). I think raspppoe comes in a Win98
    > version. That's all you need unless you want the MSN stuff.

    Wait, Anthony. This looks like great stuff but do not underestimate how
    simple-minded I can be with this. I found the rasppoe site and am prepared
    to download. But, then what? I don't have ethernet or USB. What do I need to
    get? I don't care about MSN. Once connected, do I just click on the little
    blue "e" IE icon or what?
    Thanks for everything so far.
    Rob

    "Anthony Soprano" <tsoprano@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > R. Reading wrote:
    > > Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
    > > Clean install using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=E:\WIN98 /IZ
    /IS
    > > /IQ /IT /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    > > IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
    > > Uptime: 1:04:50:11
    > > Normal mode
    > > On "T9M5B3" as "Rob"
    > >
    > > GenuineIntel Pentium(r) Processor
    > > 64MB RAM
    > > 44% system resources free
    > > Windows-managed swap file on drive C (2829MB free)
    > > Available space on drive C: 2829MB of 8024MB (FAT32)
    >
    > Good luck installing the Verizon software that comes on the CD. I tried
    > a year ago to install it on a 1.5 GHz Pentium 4 with hundreds of GBs of
    > free disk space. The installation program told me the computer didn't
    > meet the minimum specs. The call to their 800 toll-free support line
    > was a joke. They didn't have a clue how to fix the installation program.
    >
    > Google for raspppoe and install it. Don't even bother with the Verizon
    > software (if you can call it that). I think raspppoe comes in a Win98
    > version. That's all you need unless you want the MSN stuff.

    if you are running eztrust already then you are in pretty good shape... but
    you really want to also run ez-filewall which will slow you down quite a
    bit... but even without it you are ok to go *if* you do not install their
    (verizon) software. their software used to provide a necessary protocol
    called pppoe as well as configure your networking, your email, add a bunch
    of favorites to internet explorer, install the latest version of internet
    explorer (version 6 which will stuggle with just 64mb of ram as you have in
    your system), update your media player (to play things you may download from
    the web), and a utility that allows their tech to be 'invited' to remotely
    control your pc so that they can assist you (a big not thank you to that
    one!), and so on... of all of these things the only ones that you really
    need are the networking and the email, both of which can be installed
    manually. recently verizon has been sending out a newer model of the westel
    modem (the 2200) which has the pppoe protocol built into it (the device is
    actually a modem and a router in a single unit). if you got this then the
    networking is easy to configure, if you don't then you have to install the
    pppoe protocol which is not native to windows 98 (and is problematic). but
    first.. do you have a network port in your computer? have you installed a
    network card...

    > Also running eTrust EZ Antivirus (vers 6.1.7.0)
    > Rob R.
    >
    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > you don't really need a fast computer to use dsl. you don't need to
    > install
    > > any of their software. but they want you to have a good experience with
    > > their service so state this somewhat low performance requirement. you
    can
    > > buy the cheapest new computer you can and have a much better experience
    > than
    > > you with your old pc, or you could purchase a pentium overdrive
    processor
    > > install in your present pc to achieve the 233mhz speed (probably under
    $30
    > > on ebay). but given the 166mhz performance level, or even if upgraded
    > > the 233mhz speed, your computer probably has old software on it, either
    > > windows 95 or at best a early version of windows 98... and that means it
    > > will not be able to run the newer antivirus software, and that means you
    > > will be surfing at high speed with an unprotected computer which will
    > likely
    > > get infected with some sort of virus or trojan in short order.... and
    > that
    > > will make it even slower and create additional problems...
    > >
    > > "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net> wrote in message
    > > > Tried to sign up for Verizon DSL service but found my trusty old 166
    > needs
    > > > to be at least 233 mhz. Can I do anything to meet this requirement?
    > > > Thanks, Rob R.

    Christopher, et al,
    Here's what the modem box says: WESTELL Part #: A99-220015-00 (VERIZON NAT
    COMBO 0/35 PPPOE)
    Not sure what a network port is. Do not have a network card that I know of.
    Thanks for all these great responses. I feel like we're getting close.
    Rob

> [...]
    > > > you with your old pc, or you could purchase a pentium overdrive
    > processor
    > > > install in your present pc to achieve the 233mhz speed (probably under
    > $30
    > > > on ebay). but given the 166mhz performance level, or even if upgraded
    > > > the 233mhz speed, your computer probably has old software on it,
    either
    > > > windows 95 or at best a early version of windows 98... and that means
    it
    > > > will not be able to run the newer antivirus software, and that means
    you
    > > > will be surfing at high speed with an unprotected computer which will
    > > likely
    > > > get infected with some sort of virus or trojan in short order.... and
    > > that
    > > > will make it even slower and create additional problems...

    PS: currently running Zone Alarm firewall v. 5.0.590.043
> [...]
    > > > you with your old pc, or you could purchase a pentium overdrive
    > processor
    > > > install in your present pc to achieve the 233mhz speed (probably under
    > $30
    > > > on ebay). but given the 166mhz performance level, or even if upgraded
    > > > the 233mhz speed, your computer probably has old software on it,
    either
    > > > windows 95 or at best a early version of windows 98... and that means
    it
    > > > will not be able to run the newer antivirus software, and that means
    you
    > > > will be surfing at high speed with an unprotected computer which will
    > > likely
    > > > get infected with some sort of virus or trojan in short order.... and
    > > that
    > > > will make it even slower and create additional problems...

    if you are running zone alarm and ez-trust on a p1 133mhz pc with 64mb of
    ram than you must indeed be a very patient man.

    it sound to me that all you need to get this to fly is install a network
    adapter card into your computer. these are quite cheap and here is one that
    i suggest for $17 delivered
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10017160&loc=101&hdwt=30701&sp=1
    you may be able to find one at a local computer store or office supply
    store. any brand will do. what you need it a 'pci' type network card that
    has an 'rj-45' jack... it would be hard to get any other kind of card unless
    they had really old stock or cater to large corporations. once that is
    installed then you need to plug a cable between that cards port and the
    verizon modem... verizon supplies you with a cable. the also supply you
    with a connect that lets you plug their modem into a 'usb' port but then you
    will have to install some of their software and it will be less reliable...
    come to think of it your system may not even have a usb port so ignore this.
    at that point you should call verizon and tell them that you want to
    configure your pc without their software and they should be able to talk you
    through configuring the modem to log on to their service as well as
    configure your pc for your verizon email. the best tech support that they
    offer is the getting started line so use it... after that just hope you
    never have a problem (and most people don't, at least not something that
    turning off and then back on the equipment can't solve).

    > PS: currently running Zone Alarm firewall v. 5.0.590.043
    > Rob
    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > if you are running eztrust already then you are in pretty good shape...
    > but
    > > you really want to also run ez-filewall which will slow you down quite a
    > > bit... but even without it you are ok to go *if* you do not install
    their
    > > (verizon) software. their software used to provide a necessary protocol
    > > called pppoe as well as configure your networking, your email, add a
    bunch
    > > of favorites to internet explorer, install the latest version of
    internet
    > > explorer (version 6 which will stuggle with just 64mb of ram as you have
    > in
    > > your system), update your media player (to play things you may download
    > from
    > > the web), and a utility that allows their tech to be 'invited' to
    remotely
    > > control your pc so that they can assist you (a big not thank you to that
    > > one!), and so on... of all of these things the only ones that you
    really
    > > need are the networking and the email, both of which can be installed
    > > manually. recently verizon has been sending out a newer model of the
    > westel
    > > modem (the 2200) which has the pppoe protocol built into it (the device
    is
    > > actually a modem and a router in a single unit). if you got this then
    the
    > > networking is easy to configure, if you don't then you have to install
    the
    > > pppoe protocol which is not native to windows 98 (and is problematic).
    > but
    > > first.. do you have a network port in your computer? have you installed
    > > network card...
    > >
    > > "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net> wrote in message
    > > > Also running eTrust EZ Antivirus (vers 6.1.7.0)
    > > > Rob R.
    > > >
    > > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > > install
    > with
    you
    > > can
    > experience
    > > > than
    > > processor
    > > $30
    > either
    > it
    > you
    > > > likely
    and
    > > > that

    > > > needs

    Patience is my middle name, especially if I don't reboot every thirty
    minutes
    or so.
    Thanks for all this. I'll look for the card locally and then order if I
    must.
    Rob R.

> [...]
    that
    > > > one!), and so on... of all of these things the only ones that you
    > really
    > > > need are the networking and the email, both of which can be installed
    > > > manually. recently verizon has been sending out a newer model of the
    > > westel
    > > > modem (the 2200) which has the pppoe protocol built into it (the
    device
    > is
    > > > actually a modem and a router in a single unit). if you got this then
    > the
    > > > networking is easy to configure, if you don't then you have to install
    > the
    > > > pppoe protocol which is not native to windows 98 (and is
    problematic).
    > > but
    > > > first.. do you have a network port in your computer? have you

    Well, while you're being patient, find the time to add memory to the
    motherboard, if possible. 64MB is a little bit lean, even for Windows 98,
    especially with ZoneAlarm and other software taking up memory space.

    If the motherboard has 72-pin SIMM sockets, fill all four with 32MB SIMMs to max
    out the capacity at 128MB, as much as a Pentium with Intel chipset can handle.

    This older memory is dirt cheap nowadays... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:12:47 -0400, "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net> wrote:

    >Patience is my middle name, especially if I don't reboot every thirty
    >minutes
    > or so.
    >Thanks for all this. I'll look for the card locally and then order if I
    >must.
    >Rob R.

    <SNIPS>

    Ben, Dell tells me I'm maxed out at 64. Am I not?
    Rob R.

    > Well, while you're being patient, find the time to add memory to the
    > motherboard, if possible. 64MB is a little bit lean, even for Windows 98,
    > especially with ZoneAlarm and other software taking up memory space.
    >
    > If the motherboard has 72-pin SIMM sockets, fill all four with 32MB SIMMs
    to max
    > out the capacity at 128MB, as much as a Pentium with Intel chipset can
    handle.

    > This older memory is dirt cheap nowadays... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:12:47 -0400, "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net>
    wrote:

    > >Patience is my middle name, especially if I don't reboot every thirty
    > >minutes
    > > or so.
    > >Thanks for all this. I'll look for the card locally and then order if I
    > >must.
    > >Rob R.
    > >
    > <SNIPS>

    Rob,

    The industry went thru a very funky period late in the Pentium & Pentium MMX
    era. That was when the first 168-pin memory was introduced. Some of the early
    168s were EDO, others early, early SDRAM. If your motherboard has 168-pin DIMM
    sockets, you may very well be maxed out at 64MB. As I recall (but it's been a
    while), some of the Intel chipset boards would accept a pair of 64MB EDO DIMMs,
    or a pair 32MB SDRAM DIMMs. The right EDO is hard to find any more. If you can
    find it from a memory dealer, you will pay dearly for it. Not worth it.

    BTW, 168-pin DIMMs also went thru a transition from 5v to 3.3v, further
    confusing the world.

    On the other hand, if your computer has 4 72-pin SIMM sockets, 128MB is very
    much possible.

    Pop open the case and see. Or post the service tag and I can look on the Dell
    web site. So can you, if you haven't already. The web site is one of the areas
    where Dell shines. (So does IBM's.)... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:52:13 -0400, "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net> wrote:

    >Ben, Dell tells me I'm maxed out at 64. Am I not?
    >Rob R.

    >> Well, while you're being patient, find the time to add memory to the
    >> motherboard, if possible. 64MB is a little bit lean, even for Windows 98,
    >> especially with ZoneAlarm and other software taking up memory space.
    >>
    >> If the motherboard has 72-pin SIMM sockets, fill all four with 32MB SIMMs
    >to max
    >> out the capacity at 128MB, as much as a Pentium with Intel chipset can
    >handle.
    >>
    >> This older memory is dirt cheap nowadays... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:12:47 -0400, "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net>
    >wrote:
    >>
    >> >Patience is my middle name, especially if I don't reboot every thirty
    >> >minutes
    >> > or so.
    >> >Thanks for all this. I'll look for the card locally and then order if I
    >> >must.
    >> >Rob R.
    >> >
    >> <SNIPS>

    Ben,
    I did this once but maybe you can see something I can't.
    7Q2F5
    Thanks,
    Rob

    > Rob,
    >
    > The industry went thru a very funky period late in the Pentium & Pentium
    MMX
    > era. That was when the first 168-pin memory was introduced. Some of the
    early
    > 168s were EDO, others early, early SDRAM. If your motherboard has 168-pin
    DIMM
    > sockets, you may very well be maxed out at 64MB. As I recall (but it's
    been a
    > while), some of the Intel chipset boards would accept a pair of 64MB EDO
    DIMMs,
    > or a pair 32MB SDRAM DIMMs. The right EDO is hard to find any more. If
    you can
    > find it from a memory dealer, you will pay dearly for it. Not worth it.
    >
    > BTW, 168-pin DIMMs also went thru a transition from 5v to 3.3v, further
    > confusing the world.
    >
    > On the other hand, if your computer has 4 72-pin SIMM sockets, 128MB is
    very
    > much possible.
    >
    > Pop open the case and see. Or post the service tag and I can look on the
    Dell
    > web site. So can you, if you haven't already. The web site is one of the
    areas
    > where Dell shines. (So does IBM's.)... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:52:13 -0400, "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net>
    wrote:

    > >Ben, Dell tells me I'm maxed out at 64. Am I not?
    > >Rob R.
    > >
    > ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    > >> Well, while you're being patient, find the time to add memory to the
    > >> motherboard, if possible. 64MB is a little bit lean, even for Windows
    98,
    > >> especially with ZoneAlarm and other software taking up memory space.
    > >>
    > >> If the motherboard has 72-pin SIMM sockets, fill all four with 32MB
    SIMMs
    > >to max
    > >> out the capacity at 128MB, as much as a Pentium with Intel chipset can
    > >handle.
    > >>
    > >> This older memory is dirt cheap nowadays... Ben Myers

    > >> <SNIPS>

    Rob,

    The original configuration info for 7Q2F5 contains the following line:

    1 98165 Dual In-Line Memory Module, 32, 66M, 4X64, 4K, 168, 2C

    The system shipped originally with one 32MB PC66 168-pin DIMM module, so it has
    two DIMM sockets. Apparently another 32MB module was added to the system for a
    total of 64MB. So practically speaking, your system is now at its limit of
    64MB... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:08:02 -0400, "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net> wrote:

    >Ben,
    >I did this once but maybe you can see something I can't.
    >7Q2F5
    >Thanks,
    >Rob

    >> Rob,
    >>
    >> The industry went thru a very funky period late in the Pentium & Pentium
    >MMX
    >> era. That was when the first 168-pin memory was introduced. Some of the
    >early
    >> 168s were EDO, others early, early SDRAM. If your motherboard has 168-pin
    >DIMM
    >> sockets, you may very well be maxed out at 64MB. As I recall (but it's
    >been a
    >> while), some of the Intel chipset boards would accept a pair of 64MB EDO
    >DIMMs,
    >> or a pair 32MB SDRAM DIMMs. The right EDO is hard to find any more. If
    >you can
    >> find it from a memory dealer, you will pay dearly for it. Not worth it.
    >>
    >> BTW, 168-pin DIMMs also went thru a transition from 5v to 3.3v, further
    >> confusing the world.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, if your computer has 4 72-pin SIMM sockets, 128MB is
    >very
    >> much possible.
    >>
    >> Pop open the case and see. Or post the service tag and I can look on the
    >Dell
    >> web site. So can you, if you haven't already. The web site is one of the
    >areas
    >> where Dell shines. (So does IBM's.)... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:52:13 -0400, "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net>
    >wrote:
    >>
    >> >Ben, Dell tells me I'm maxed out at 64. Am I not?
    >> >Rob R.
    >> >
    >> ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >98,

    >SIMMs
    >> >to max
    >> >handle.

    Rob,

    And the line item below indicates a 166MHz Pentium MMX.

    1 82662 Integrated Circuit, 8050266-166M, PPGA296

    If you can get hold of a 233MHz Pentium MMX, it will plug and play and operate
    properly with the change of a couple of jumper settings... Ben

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:08:02 -0400, "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net> wrote:

    >Ben,
    >I did this once but maybe you can see something I can't.
    >7Q2F5
    >Thanks,
    >Rob

    >> Rob,
    >>
    >> The industry went thru a very funky period late in the Pentium & Pentium
    >MMX
    >> era. That was when the first 168-pin memory was introduced. Some of the
    >early
    >> 168s were EDO, others early, early SDRAM. If your motherboard has 168-pin
    >DIMM
    >> sockets, you may very well be maxed out at 64MB. As I recall (but it's
    >been a
    >> while), some of the Intel chipset boards would accept a pair of 64MB EDO
    >DIMMs,
    >> or a pair 32MB SDRAM DIMMs. The right EDO is hard to find any more. If
    >you can
    >> find it from a memory dealer, you will pay dearly for it. Not worth it.
    >>
    >> BTW, 168-pin DIMMs also went thru a transition from 5v to 3.3v, further
    >> confusing the world.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, if your computer has 4 72-pin SIMM sockets, 128MB is
    >very
    >> much possible.
    >>
    >> Pop open the case and see. Or post the service tag and I can look on the
    >Dell
    >> web site. So can you, if you haven't already. The web site is one of the
    >areas
    >> where Dell shines. (So does IBM's.)... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:52:13 -0400, "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net>
    >wrote:
    >>
    >> >Ben, Dell tells me I'm maxed out at 64. Am I not?
    >> >Rob R.
    >> >
    >> ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >98,

    >SIMMs
    >> >to max
    >> >handle.

    Ben,
    Thanks a bunch. I guess ebay would be as good a place as any to start?
    BTW, do I just plug my new ethernet PCI card into the slot where my dial-up
    modem is now?
    Rob

    > Rob,
    >
    > And the line item below indicates a 166MHz Pentium MMX.
    >
    > 1 82662 Integrated Circuit, 8050266-166M, PPGA296
    >
    > If you can get hold of a 233MHz Pentium MMX, it will plug and play and
    operate
    > properly with the change of a couple of jumper settings... Ben
    >
    > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:08:02 -0400, "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net>
    wrote:

    > >Ben,
    > >I did this once but maybe you can see something I can't.
    > >7Q2F5
    > >Thanks,
    > >Rob
    > >
    > ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    > >> Rob,
    > >>
    > >> The industry went thru a very funky period late in the Pentium &
    Pentium
    > >MMX
    > >> era. That was when the first 168-pin memory was introduced. Some of
    the
    > >early
    > >> 168s were EDO, others early, early SDRAM. If your motherboard has
    168-pin
    > >DIMM
    > >> sockets, you may very well be maxed out at 64MB. As I recall (but it's
    > >been a
    > >> while), some of the Intel chipset boards would accept a pair of 64MB
    EDO
    > >DIMMs,
    > >> or a pair 32MB SDRAM DIMMs. The right EDO is hard to find any more.
    If
    > >you can
    > >> find it from a memory dealer, you will pay dearly for it. Not worth
    it.

    > >> BTW, 168-pin DIMMs also went thru a transition from 5v to 3.3v, further
    > >> confusing the world.
    > >>
    > >> On the other hand, if your computer has 4 72-pin SIMM sockets, 128MB is
    > >very
    > >> much possible.
    > >>
    > >> Pop open the case and see. Or post the service tag and I can look on
    the
    > >Dell
    > >> web site. So can you, if you haven't already. The web site is one of
    the
    > >areas
    > >> where Dell shines. (So does IBM's.)... Ben Myers

    Windows
    > >98,

    > >SIMMs

    <reading@intercom.net>

    Ben,
    Saw a few on ebay. ($5 or $6 + shipping) For a socket 7 motherboard. Do I
    have that? Also saw one with a fan. What's that about?
    Thanks,
    Rob

    > Rob,
    >
    > And the line item below indicates a 166MHz Pentium MMX.
    >
    > 1 82662 Integrated Circuit, 8050266-166M, PPGA296
    >
    > If you can get hold of a 233MHz Pentium MMX, it will plug and play and
    operate
    > properly with the change of a couple of jumper settings... Ben
    >
    > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:08:02 -0400, "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net>
    wrote:

    > >Ben,
    > >I did this once but maybe you can see something I can't.
    > >7Q2F5
    > >Thanks,
    > >Rob
    > >
    > ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    > >> Rob,
    > >>
    > >> The industry went thru a very funky period late in the Pentium &
    Pentium
    > >MMX
    > >> era. That was when the first 168-pin memory was introduced. Some of
    the
    > >early
    > >> 168s were EDO, others early, early SDRAM. If your motherboard has
    168-pin
    > >DIMM
    > >> sockets, you may very well be maxed out at 64MB. As I recall (but it's
    > >been a
    > >> while), some of the Intel chipset boards would accept a pair of 64MB
    EDO
    > >DIMMs,
    > >> or a pair 32MB SDRAM DIMMs. The right EDO is hard to find any more.
    If
    > >you can
    > >> find it from a memory dealer, you will pay dearly for it. Not worth
    it.

    > >> BTW, 168-pin DIMMs also went thru a transition from 5v to 3.3v, further
    > >> confusing the world.
    > >>
    > >> On the other hand, if your computer has 4 72-pin SIMM sockets, 128MB is
    > >very
    > >> much possible.
    > >>
    > >> Pop open the case and see. Or post the service tag and I can look on
    the
    > >Dell
    > >> web site. So can you, if you haven't already. The web site is one of
    the
    > >areas
    > >> where Dell shines. (So does IBM's.)... Ben Myers

    Windows
    > >98,

    > >SIMMs

    <reading@intercom.net>

    Rob, Yes, Socket 7... Ben

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 13:12:58 -0400, "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net> wrote:

    >Ben,
    >Saw a few on ebay. ($5 or $6 + shipping) For a socket 7 motherboard. Do I
    >have that? Also saw one with a fan. What's that about?
    >Thanks,
    >Rob

    <SNIP>

    R. Reading wrote:
    > Wait, Anthony. This looks like great stuff but do not underestimate how
    > simple-minded I can be with this. I found the rasppoe site and am prepared
    > to download. But, then what? I don't have ethernet or USB. What do I need to
    > get? I don't care about MSN. Once connected, do I just click on the little
    > blue "e" IE icon or what?
    > Thanks for everything so far.
    > Rob

    I'm a little late to this party, but I'm surprised that nobody has
    suggested a router. As long as you have that you won't need to install
    any PPPOE software. Just call Verizon and request a user ID and
    password, set up the router with that info and you're good to go.

    HTH,

    Bob

    lookin up your system tag number... i sifted through my memory and came up
    with this stuff as i remember it...

    the dell dimension pxxxs series only accepts 2-clock type dimms of up to
    32mb each (system max of 64mb)
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/dta/_trmntor/00000029.htm
    he appears to be maxed out.

    the pxxxs is a socket 7 motherboard but it does not natively support the
    dual voltage required by the mmx type processors. to install a 233Mhz mmx
    processor a voltage regulator is required or you will ruin the motherboard.
    a voltage regulator plugs into the processor socket and then the processor
    plugs into the regulator. this regulator is an integral part of a 'intel
    pentium overdrive' type processor for socket 7 (not socket 5, aka, 486 based
    computers). you can get either the 180Mhz intel over drive or the 200Mhz
    intel overdrive. the difference is just marketing. either will run at
    200Mhz in your 66Mhz (internal speed) system. to go to the 233Mhz mmx you
    will need to purchase a separate voltage regulator from the likes of
    powerleap.com and a separate processor (intel pentium 233Mhz with mmx). it
    wasn't economical in it's day and probably not worth the effort today.
    alternative upgrade processors for the socket 7 will not work in this intel
    motherboard (not the 'winchip' based processors or the others ones...). i
    do not currently see the pentium overdrive 200mhz on ebay but i think i can
    dig one up if you really want it... (email me directly to discuss).

    > Rob, Yes, Socket 7... Ben
    >
    > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 13:12:58 -0400, "R. Reading" <reading@intercom.net>
    wrote:

    > >Ben,
    > >Saw a few on ebay. ($5 or $6 + shipping) For a socket 7 motherboard. Do I
    > >have that? Also saw one with a fan. What's that about?
    > >Thanks,
    > >Rob
    > >
    > <SNIP>

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:11:07 GMT, Bob Levine
    <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote:

    >I'm a little late to this party, but I'm surprised that nobody has
    >suggested a router. As long as you have that you won't need to install
    >any PPPOE software. Just call Verizon and request a user ID and
    >password, set up the router with that info and you're good to go.

    Sure second that. Any broadband user should have a router, even if
    they do not network, in my opinion.
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Guys,
    Shortly after my last post, my hard drive died. While my local shop is
    figuring out if there is any hope. I bought a new system. Being a 1st grade
    teacher, I am still infinitely patient but I am now running an Athlon 2000+
    processor with 512 of RAM and an 80 g hard drive. I am downtown!
    Thanks for all your help.
    Rob R.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Rob,

    Probably not much hope for the old Dell. By the time you've paid for
    installation of a new hard drive plus the drive itself, you will have exceeded
    the value of a used Socket Pentium or Pentium MMX system. Around here, I can't
    sell them for much of anything, so the nicer old Dells go into a spare parts
    pile. The ugly HP Vectras and even uglier Compaq Presarios and old DeskPros get
    stripped for electronic scrap. I can't sell anything slower than some sort of
    Pentium 3, usually. I last sold a Pentium system a couple of years ago to a guy
    who wanted to make it a firewall/router running Linux.

    If you brought the old Dell system in to me for repair, I'd tell you it's not
    worth repairing. I hope that the local shop you deal with has the integrity to
    tell you the same... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 00:25:30 GMT, "Robert Reading" <rreading@verizon.net> wrote:

    >Guys,
    >Shortly after my last post, my hard drive died. While my local shop is
    >figuring out if there is any hope. I bought a new system. Being a 1st grade
    >teacher, I am still infinitely patient but I am now running an Athlon 2000+
    >processor with 512 of RAM and an 80 g hard drive. I am downtown!
    >Thanks for all your help.
    >Rob R.

  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    rob, since your new machine is anthlon based (and excellent processor), that
    means it isn't a dell... you new machine may be a good deal but consider
    this good dell deal tha ends today.... dell 4600 with 2.8/533fsb, 512mb
    ram, 80gb hard disk, floppy, modem, 10/100 nic, windows xp home, dvd drive,
    cdrw drive (yes, two drives), and 17" flat panel monitor, sound bar
    (speakers) that connects to monitor, 2 year warranty, for $1,008 plus $0
    shipping, plus local sales tax, less a $100 rebate.... reduce the price by
    $200 if you don't want the monitor, or buy it with the monitor and sell the
    monitor on ebay and make at least $100...

    "Robert Reading" <rreading@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Guys,
    > Shortly after my last post, my hard drive died. While my local shop is
    > figuring out if there is any hope. I bought a new system. Being a 1st
    grade
    > teacher, I am still infinitely patient but I am now running an Athlon
    2000+
    > processor with 512 of RAM and an 80 g hard drive. I am downtown!
    > Thanks for all your help.
    > Rob R.

Dell Processors Verizon Dimension Computers