Terrible mic quality on samsung series 7 - update driver?

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
samsung series 7 laptop
windows 7 64 bit

i cannot figure out why my microphone sounds like crap but it does, over skype or in music recording software. Very static'y and distorted.
Is it likely that this is driver related at all?

If so, Samsung's website has a driver version that is actually lower than what i have. So i went to realtek's website which has a disclaimer saying that they only offer general drivers that may not fit the customized settings of my PC's motherboard that my PC manufacturer's audio driver will have. However realtek has a more recent driver. I just dont want to royally screw anything since my audio is otherwise fine, just the mic isnt getting a clear signal.

Or is it perhaps worth installing the older version that samsung offers?

warhead0

Distinguished
I have found quite often that the built in microphones on a laptop are terrible.
It may be functioning just fine, however try the driver update.

Also you can check the settings of your microphone by right clicking the speaker icon in the bottom right corner.

Then click the Recording Devices, this will bring up a small window and you should see your microphone in the list, simply select the mic, and select properties.

Now you will have another small window appear, in this window you can adjust things like the mic volume and even try turning on noise suppression which may help.

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
yeah ive played with a lot of those settings, ive got it about as good as its prob gonna get. Its just a ball bust cuz my buddy has a macbook pro and the built in mic on that actually doesnt sound terrible. I was hoping to get similar results