What is left for me?

In a way, I'm kinda laughing at this. I've read plenty of reports on
hobbies and their enthusiasts, and it's almost a universal that people
abandon hobbies after about 3 years. At that point, you've seen and
done it all.

Well, I've been doing this right around 4 years, and folks.. I think I
may have seen and done it all.

You run down your typical lists of "must owns" from the different
manufacturers and eras, and I've usually owned a sizeable chunk of
them. Owned just about everything I can remember from my childhood,
and the exceptions I've played so much at shows and such that I don't
care.

Playing new ones doesn't even excite me anymore. I tried to be first
in line to play the local NASCAR and was distinctly underwhelmed. Was
it the game or just my general apathy?

Six months ago, all I wanted to do was figure out how to get a NIB
Stern. Now, I realize that there's no way that I will get $4k of
entertainment out of it.

Someone gives me that tired, "I know someone with an old machine
sitting in their garage" and I don't even bother acting interested
anymore. The similarly old, "I've got a nice one that doesn't work
anymore" seldom elicits a "I can fix it!" response from me these days.

So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
exciting hobby.
39 answers Last reply
More about what left

    Maybe you've grown up? Nah, that cant be it!

    Somehow this posts reeks of attention seeking :)

    Wil

    pinballjim wrote:

    > So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
    > exciting hobby.

    Peggy Lee sang a song about yer malaise. ("Is that all there is? Then
    let's keep flippin'.") Ron's got it, too:

    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/30c9d55a8dd1bfe2

    I guess we all have a different approach to things, including pinball
    collecting. In my case, I'm looking forward to moving on the next
    chapter - I've invested almost a year of concentrated effort into
    gathering the absolute best possible examples I could find of 8 titles
    that my family and friends can now enjoy for years - eventually they'll
    get passed on to my kids for their kids etc. I hope to only have a few
    more months to go before my remaining restorations are completed. I've
    loved the experience of chasing down the games and parts, but now look
    forward to playing them and focusing my energies on other areas of life
    as time is ever so precious.

    I hope you find a balance as well and can enjoy the fruits of your 4
    years of effort. All the best.

    pinballjim wrote:
    > In a way, I'm kinda laughing at this. I've read plenty of reports on
    > hobbies and their enthusiasts, and it's almost a universal that people
    > abandon hobbies after about 3 years. At that point, you've seen and
    > done it all.

    ...well, maybe done all that you care to. There are so many offshoots to
    this hobby (gun games, bowlers, really old EM stuff) that you could
    dabble in until you die and never really "see it all".

    > Well, I've been doing this right around 4 years, and folks.. I think I
    > may have seen and done it all.

    I get this way once a year or once every couple years. I take time off,
    my game sit, I do other things, I move back into it. You can't do the
    same thing over and over or you get burned out.

    > Playing new ones doesn't even excite me anymore. I tried to be first
    > in line to play the local NASCAR and was distinctly underwhelmed. Was
    > it the game or just my general apathy?

    Who said the answer was in a NIB game? I hardly get a kick out of a new
    game out on the street. I REALLY don't want to be seen as a guy who is
    in the hobby because he had enough cash to be. I'd rather do it my way.

    > Someone gives me that tired, "I know someone with an old machine
    > sitting in their garage" and I don't even bother acting interested
    > anymore. The similarly old, "I've got a nice one that doesn't work
    > anymore" seldom elicits a "I can fix it!" response from me these days.

    Once you chased down enough junk, those kinds of comments don't do much
    for me. I've got enough projects without trying to find a home for some
    broken down sys1 game or being someone else's repair bitch.

    > So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
    > exciting hobby.

    Life is only as exciting as you make it.

    Kirb

    Maybe you are just a 'been there, done that' kind of person.
    Therefore, the only thing left to do is give your machines
    to...say...ME, and move on your next thing.

    I get burned out on aspects of the hobby, may go several weeks without
    doing even the simplest of repairs, and just play the games that are
    working all the way. Then go the opposite way, and then sometimes
    balance playing and tinkering. One thing that ALWAYS re-energizes me
    is having other people play my games, and comment on how cool it is to
    see these things working.

    Cheers!!
    Bob

    Turn all your games on at 3am, dim the room lights, and sit on a high
    stool in the middle, and wonder how did you come to love pinball in the
    first place.
    Works for me.

    Marcel

    There is not much more for me to add, but...

    I have had interruptions in the hobby (moving cross-country, injury/surgery)
    where I have been away for a long period of time, but it seems to rekindle
    the interest. I have been in it 7 years myself.

    Here is an idea. Find an old junker, fix it mechanically 100%, do whatever
    aesthetic work to the game your principles dictate, (at least make the game
    presentable) and donate it to your favorite charity auction. The response
    you will receive from the charity's leadership will be particularly
    gratifying, and you will know you have done a good thing.

    Regards,
    Dan

    just make sure steve and i get you bh and hh!!! ;-D

    pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    Eric A. wrote:
    > On 12 Sep 2005 09:30:06 -0700, "pinballjim" <pinballjim@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >In a way, I'm kinda laughing at this. I've read plenty of reports on
    > >hobbies and their enthusiasts, and it's almost a universal that people
    > >abandon hobbies after about 3 years. At that point, you've seen and
    > >done it all.
    > >
    > >Well, I've been doing this right around 4 years, and folks.. I think I
    > >may have seen and done it all.
    > >
    > >You run down your typical lists of "must owns" from the different
    > >manufacturers and eras, and I've usually owned a sizeable chunk of
    > >them. Owned just about everything I can remember from my childhood,
    > >and the exceptions I've played so much at shows and such that I don't
    > >care.
    > >
    > >Playing new ones doesn't even excite me anymore. I tried to be first
    > >in line to play the local NASCAR and was distinctly underwhelmed. Was
    > >it the game or just my general apathy?
    > >
    > >Six months ago, all I wanted to do was figure out how to get a NIB
    > >Stern. Now, I realize that there's no way that I will get $4k of
    > >entertainment out of it.
    > >
    > >Someone gives me that tired, "I know someone with an old machine
    > >sitting in their garage" and I don't even bother acting interested
    > >anymore. The similarly old, "I've got a nice one that doesn't work
    > >anymore" seldom elicits a "I can fix it!" response from me these days.
    > >
    > >So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
    > >exciting hobby.
    > I'm right there with ya. I've had a few things that have really made me
    > contemplate selling my whole collection off.
    >

    > --
    > Eric A.
    > eavedesianNOSPAM@comcast.net
    > 313-268-0541
    >
    > Mr. Propane Torch!!
    >
    > ELV!S,TZ,Cy(l*ne,FH,STTNG,RFM,BH,HH,HS,HS2,CV,B@by-P@c M@n,IJ,RS,BK
    > Remove NOSPAM to reply

    try to stop trolling? buy a rich mans 1812? ;-)

    Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    In article <1126544130.879986.193060@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, josh489
    @hotmail.com says...
    > pinballjim wrote:
    >
    > > So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
    > > exciting hobby.
    >
    > Peggy Lee sang a song about yer malaise. ("Is that all there is? Then
    > let's keep flippin'.") Ron's got it, too:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/30c9d55a8dd1bfe2

    I'm still pluggin' away and trying to rejuvenate though :-)
    --
    Ron -- CARGPB7
    ronstr@asisnotapplicable.com (change not applicable to na)

    Sometimes it helps to step back a little and realize the reason(s)
    why you got into this hobby.

    May Dad bought 15 machines back in the 1950's
    before I was born. He kept one pin, a Williams "Hong Kong".

    I remember standing on a stool having the time of my life
    playing that pinball. I continued to play it into my Jr High years.
    Then something broke on it, and at the time all us kids had lost
    interest in it. So it sat. My Dad piled a bunch of junk on it and
    used it for a storage bench. I went off to college, moved away.
    And spent the next 25 years just playing the pins at arcades
    once and a while.

    So 5 years ago I asked my dad if I could have the old pinball
    in the cellar. I wound up driving to upstate NY from Huntsville,AL.
    When I unloaded the thing it was in really bad, dirty shape. The
    rubbers had even kind of oozed themselves down onto the playfield.

    I cleaned it off and found a cam that had worn through in the reset
    mechanism. And voila, it worked! A sound of ringing bells I hadn't
    heard
    from my childhood. So I began my first restoration job. I found RGP and

    with a lot of help and advice I was able to get it back in shape. You
    don't
    hear much from me. I usually find someone has alrady experienced my
    problems through Google. But at this point, according to my wife, the
    sickness began.

    Anyway, I enjoyed the task, I enjoyed the play. I liked having the old
    pinball that is
    one of my earliest memories out in my garage. Next I decided I wanted a

    Captain Fantastic. I played it a lot in my senior year in High School.
    Than
    a TZ. I wanted a game with the challange that many RGP'ers said it
    had.
    Oh wow! pins that talk . . . Now I've remodeled the garage into a
    gameroom
    and have ten pins (and some of them are future projects).

    And I realized a while back that sometimes I may go week or two without

    messing with or playing any of them. And have wondered if I should
    sell them.
    I have a Funhouse torn apart in the shop right now. I haven't touched
    it in 2
    weeks. Life would sure would be easier without them. . .

    Than my grandchildren come to visit. And I'm watching my two year old
    grandson
    standing on a stool playing the "Hong Kong" having a ball. . . and I
    smile. As they
    say "priceless".

    Well, until he proceeded to rip off his diaper and than pee all over
    the place.

    Everyone of us are in it for our own reason. What is yours?

    Bill

    Sounds like a case of "The summertime blues", to me...

    You still haven't "done" Expo yet, so you still have a ways
    to go. :)

    --
    Fred
    TX

    "pinballjim" <pinballjim@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1126542606.568109.147010@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > In a way, I'm kinda laughing at this. I've read plenty of reports on
    > hobbies and their enthusiasts, and it's almost a universal that people
    > abandon hobbies after about 3 years. At that point, you've seen and
    > done it all.

    I think it's just a cool hobby to have. Aside from the fun of fixing
    games both modern and old, it's really nice to see the kids in the
    neighborhood come over and ask if they can play. 1 kid even likes to
    play my EM games! And there is always the "WOW" factor when people come
    over and see the garage for the first time:)

    And the other day my wife was explaining to a person who lives around
    the block from us where our house was exactly and she said we have all
    these pinball machines in the garage and the lady said "I know exactly
    which house is yours!"

    nomad

    Yeah, I kinda like being known as the weird guy at the end of the
    street with all those games in his basement. :-)

    Of course, they also say I'm the weird guy with the neat garage....and
    the neat shop......and the neat yard......and the.......

    Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

    "Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
    shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
    city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"

    (Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)

    nomad wrote:
    > I think it's just a cool hobby to have. Aside from the fun of fixing
    > games both modern and old, it's really nice to see the kids in the
    > neighborhood come over and ask if they can play. 1 kid even likes to
    > play my EM games! And there is always the "WOW" factor when people come
    > over and see the garage for the first time:)
    >
    > And the other day my wife was explaining to a person who lives around
    > the block from us where our house was exactly and she said we have all
    > these pinball machines in the garage and the lady said "I know exactly
    > which house is yours!"
    >
    > nomad

    Maybe you got a little too obsessed with it too fast. And now you are
    burned out on it. Me, I still play every day as much as I squeeze in.

    So what are you selling? ;)

    As Lloyd always says, "take a step back and remember why you first got
    into pinball."

    John!

    pinballjim wrote:
> [...]

    >care.
    >
    >Playing new ones doesn't even excite me anymore. I tried to be first
    >in line to play the local NASCAR and was distinctly underwhelmed. Was
    >it the game or just my general apathy?
    >
    >Six months ago, all I wanted to do was figure out how to get a NIB
    >Stern. Now, I realize that there's no way that I will get $4k of
    >entertainment out of it.
    >
    >Someone gives me that tired, "I know someone with an old machine
    >sitting in their garage" and I don't even bother acting interested
    >anymore. The similarly old, "I've got a nice one that doesn't work
    >anymore" seldom elicits a "I can fix it!" response from me these days.
    >
    >So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
    >exciting hobby.
    I'm right there with ya. I've had a few things that have really made me
    contemplate selling my whole collection off.

    "These aren't just machines, they are works of art you can interact
    with, one of the few things invented
    by man that is almost alive."

    You've just created a statement for the entire hobby!

    The hobby didn't change, you did. How many hobbies have you been in ? And
    have they all gone the same way for you ? If so you should think about why
    you get into something, and what exactly pleases you and why you repeat the
    same scenario expecting different results. Maybe think about what you want
    out of a hobby. And why you don't get what you want out of it. A hobby can't
    make you happy, only you can do that.

    I've been around pinball machines for around 47 years, it's work for me and
    not a hobby. Yet when I set up, fix, clean, repair, do anything to a
    machine, it still excites me to slide the glass back on and admire the
    machine. To think about the evolution of the game and the designers that
    have a good part of themselves in their designs. These aren't just machines,
    they are works of art you can interact with, one of the few things invented
    by man that is almost alive.

    Bland end ? Not hardly, not ever. LTG :)

    "pinballjim" <pinballjim@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
    > exciting hobby.

    Hm, interesting take on a troll post.. things slow on IRC today? ;)

    Anyway, I got bored with pinball in general a couple years ago, so I
    did other things and the machines sat relatively idle. Got more
    interest when winter came, wound up with a half dozen more games
    eventually. This summer I haven't done much pinball-related activity
    at all.. other things to do, but they'll be waiting (with all sorts of
    nutty issues and problem) this fall when I get back into it again.

    It's hard to maintain interest in pinball over the summer when there
    are so many other things to do outside.

    pinballjim wrote:

    >...Well, I've been doing this right around 4 years, and folks.. I think I
    >may have seen and done it all....

    I understand your feelings. I'm in my 5th year of this hobby and my
    enthusiasm has diminished significantly over the last 12 months.

    There are, however, two elements of this hobby that I will never tire
    of. The first is the people. Whether it is at Expo or at the local
    auctions, I love interacting with pinball people. There are some
    extremely cool people in this hobby.

    The second element is the thrill of figuring out why something on a
    pinball machine doesn't work. The analysis that goes into figuring out
    why something doesn't work, and then fixing it, must release some sort
    of endorphins. I've become addicted to those endorphins; much like
    folks who get hooked on adrenaline. I think that is why I like buying
    pins at coin-op auctions. Often the previous owner has simply gotten
    tired of trying to fix the pin and thus passes the challenge to somebody
    else. I like buying those challenges. Some of my nicest games
    (cosmetically) are those I picked up at auction and which had multiple
    problems affecting gameplay. Now they both look great and play great.

    Rick Swanson

    "Growing tired" is a universal "truth" for most anything, it is doubtful
    that anyone would say they have the SAME FRESH enthusiasm for a hobby
    several years after they have been in it. When you strat anything new and
    approach it with zeal, the excitement is great, but once it is "mastered",
    the excitement is DIFFERENT, not the same. You should not expect it to be
    the same, it cannot be - it is not new. Find some different ways to enjoy
    it, delve in where you have not, or move on to something else. Your
    experience is not unusual.

    Chris

    "pinballjim" <pinballjim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In a way, I'm kinda laughing at this. I've read plenty of reports on
    > hobbies and their enthusiasts, and it's almost a universal that people
    > abandon hobbies after about 3 years. At that point, you've seen and
    > done it all.
    >
    > Well, I've been doing this right around 4 years, and folks.. I think I
    > may have seen and done it all.
    >
    > You run down your typical lists of "must owns" from the different
    > manufacturers and eras, and I've usually owned a sizeable chunk of
    > them. Owned just about everything I can remember from my childhood,
    > and the exceptions I've played so much at shows and such that I don't
    > care.
    >
    > Playing new ones doesn't even excite me anymore. I tried to be first
    > in line to play the local NASCAR and was distinctly underwhelmed. Was
    > it the game or just my general apathy?
    >
    > Six months ago, all I wanted to do was figure out how to get a NIB
    > Stern. Now, I realize that there's no way that I will get $4k of
    > entertainment out of it.
    >
    > Someone gives me that tired, "I know someone with an old machine
    > sitting in their garage" and I don't even bother acting interested
    > anymore. The similarly old, "I've got a nice one that doesn't work
    > anymore" seldom elicits a "I can fix it!" response from me these days.
    >
    > So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
    > exciting hobby.

    Dad, I never thought of you a weird. AH :)

    "Bryan Kelly" <bskelly3@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Yeah, I kinda like being known as the weird guy at the end of the
    > street with all those games in his basement. :-)
    >
    > Of course, they also say I'm the weird guy with the neat garage....and
    > the neat shop......and the neat yard......and the neat.......future son in
    law......

    > Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins
    >
    > "Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
    > shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
    > city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"
    >
    > (Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)

    LOL! Love it! :D

    Fred
    TX
    CARGPB#8
    ============================
    Bill wrote:

    > Than my grandchildren come to visit. And I'm watching my two year old
    > grandson
    > standing on a stool playing the "Hong Kong" having a ball. . . and I
    > smile. As they
    > say "priceless".
    >
    > Well, until he proceeded to rip off his diaper and than pee all over
    > the place.
    >
    > Everyone of us are in it for our own reason. What is yours?
    >
    > Bill

    Whats left for you? Play all those games.

    Real funny, Clive. If you spent as much time fixing my boards as you
    do cracking jokes here, I'd have the damn thing back already. ;-)

    Now get back to work!!!

    "nomad" <damonoresky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I think it's just a cool hobby to have. Aside from the fun of fixing
    > games both modern and old, it's really nice to see the kids in the
    > neighborhood come over and ask if they can play. 1 kid even likes to
    > play my EM games! And there is always the "WOW" factor when people come
    > over and see the garage for the first time:)
    >
    > And the other day my wife was explaining to a person who lives around
    > the block from us where our house was exactly and she said we have all
    > these pinball machines in the garage and the lady said "I know exactly
    > which house is yours!"
    >
    > nomad

    Same thing here....the guy will all the pinball machines in the garage!! LOL
    Seriously though, when I get tired of working on them or even at times
    playing them I take a few weeks break and do some other things. It's hard to
    believe but there is more to life than pinball!!! ;-)

    -Terry

    Bill wrote:

    >Well, until he proceeded to rip off his diaper and than pee all over
    >the place. ...

    Been there... done that. ;-)

    Rick Swanson

    I am definitely only at a fraction of the 'pinball intensity' that I
    was 20 years ago, that's for sure. I don't obsessively sit up all
    night screwing around with them anymore, every hobby starts to get
    frayed at the edges.
    As for getting $4k of entertainment out of a new machine, of course you
    can't (I bought a LOTR 8 months ago.) But if it's a good game in HUO
    condition you aren't just flushing 4K down the toilet, you will get a
    large percentage of that 4K back when you sell it. I do the same thing
    all the time when I'm thinking of a big purchase like an antique car,
    or a new car. I think gee I'm tossing 30K out the window on this (fill
    in the blank)... then have to remind myself that it's not just 30K or
    whatever disappearing, it is an investment or sorts and when I sell it,
    someone is going to give me more than 50 cents to take it off my hands
    at a later date. And used games (and even a few new ones) might even
    MAKE me money. So a better way to think of it is, am I going to get
    (purchase price - expected resale value) out of it?....Frenchy

    Got bored just as I was finishing up the JP protectors, huh? :P Oh well!
    Step away for a while, try something new and see if you end up missing
    pinball or not.

    --
    Cliffy - CARGPB2
    A passion for pinball!

    Been at it for 8yrs now (much to my wifes dismay) and still going
    strong.
    Guess maybe I'm in an upswing!

    Lee

    I guess I'll Chime in ,,

    To me Pinball is just a hobby that I enjoy,, I dont play everyday even
    though I'm sitting here with my games, I get tired & leave them alone a
    few weeks at a time,,, MY PROBLEM, is,
    I put to much on my plate trying to do more to help others &
    then not be able to finish a deal I started & get Guilt trips, I really
    feel bad & I tell myself I'll just enjoy my games & try not to do as
    much,, Problem is,, In this hobby helping people find parts & helping
    w/ a problem is TO ME almost half the fun, & Yet that "Habit" of
    falling behind wants me to walk away BUT, I do work for OPs & I have 6
    locations of mine I have to take care of,
    So I caint get away from it all together,, My other Hobby is my 69
    Camaro & after it gets home ( any day now ) I think I'm going to
    put more of my afforts there since it HAS been gone close to 2 years (
    Complete Restoration ) & Bryan K & Chris H would be proud to see the
    Detail work that has been done to this one.
    Everything else in my life is going great even knowing I still have a
    Brain Tumor to deal with But I dont let that hold me back &
    Everyday is a New Day & I'd Rather walk away from this when I'm tired &
    give it a Rest BUT keep my Games as its something I have always loved,,
    Jim,, If you sell those games & then get the bug 2 years from now to
    build another collection you'll have a heck of a hard time
    rebuilding,,, Give it a Rest & Think about it ,
    You might be glad you did !!

    Pin-Del,

    I believe the key to longevity in this hobby is to take it slow and
    steady and realize that your enthusiasium will ebb and flow over the
    months and years. I have seen guys jump in with both feet and buy up a
    dozen machines in a year; the next year they unload them all. Funny
    though, more than once I've seen the same said person turn around a
    year or so later and start buying machines again but with one big
    difference - they don't buy, fix, clean, and/or restore 12 machines in
    one year; staying up all night months on end getting it all done,
    because they realize that this leads to burn-out.

    Personally, I am currently burnt out on complete teardown-and-rebuild
    projects. 2 of my last 3 games have been NIB for this very reason (and
    I've had to sell off 4 machines to make it happen). However, recently
    I have found myself straying back to the toolbox and I feel the cycle
    starting all over again.

    Another trend I have seen lately is people building their own machines
    from scratch at home; yet another way to enjoy the hobby.

    Terry.
    CARGPB25

    --
    ---
    Board repairs, EPROMs, servicing...

    The Coin-Op Cauldron
    103 Armistead Lane
    Easley, SC 29642
    (864)238-1707
    http://www.coinopcauldron.com

    Thanks for sharing your story, Bill. This post of yours is among the best
    I've ever read on RGP!

    Thanks again!
    Jeff Giesting

    In article <1126551120.837401.122080@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, "Bill"
    <dusin1@mchsi.com> wrote:
    >Sometimes it helps to step back a little and realize the reason(s)
    >why you got into this hobby.
    >
    >May Dad bought 15 machines back in the 1950's
    >before I was born. He kept one pin, a Williams "Hong Kong".
    >
    >I remember standing on a stool having the time of my life
    >playing that pinball. I continued to play it into my Jr High years.
    >Then something broke on it, and at the time all us kids had lost
    >interest in it. So it sat. My Dad piled a bunch of junk on it and
    >used it for a storage bench. I went off to college, moved away.
    >And spent the next 25 years just playing the pins at arcades
    >once and a while.
    >
    >So 5 years ago I asked my dad if I could have the old pinball
    >in the cellar. I wound up driving to upstate NY from Huntsville,AL.
    >When I unloaded the thing it was in really bad, dirty shape. The
    >rubbers had even kind of oozed themselves down onto the playfield.
    >
    >I cleaned it off and found a cam that had worn through in the reset
    >mechanism. And voila, it worked! A sound of ringing bells I hadn't
    >heard
    >from my childhood. So I began my first restoration job. I found RGP and
    >
    >with a lot of help and advice I was able to get it back in shape. You
    >don't
    >hear much from me. I usually find someone has alrady experienced my
    >problems through Google. But at this point, according to my wife, the
    >sickness began.
    >
    >Anyway, I enjoyed the task, I enjoyed the play. I liked having the old
    >pinball that is
    >one of my earliest memories out in my garage. Next I decided I wanted a
    >
    >Captain Fantastic. I played it a lot in my senior year in High School.
    >Than
    >a TZ. I wanted a game with the challange that many RGP'ers said it
    >had.
    >Oh wow! pins that talk . . . Now I've remodeled the garage into a
    >gameroom
    >and have ten pins (and some of them are future projects).
    >
    >And I realized a while back that sometimes I may go week or two without
    >
    >messing with or playing any of them. And have wondered if I should
    >sell them.
    >I have a Funhouse torn apart in the shop right now. I haven't touched
    >it in 2
    >weeks. Life would sure would be easier without them. . .
    >
    >Than my grandchildren come to visit. And I'm watching my two year old
    >grandson
    >standing on a stool playing the "Hong Kong" having a ball. . . and I
    >smile. As they
    >say "priceless".
    >
    >Well, until he proceeded to rip off his diaper and than pee all over
    >the place.
    >
    >Everyone of us are in it for our own reason. What is yours?
    >
    >Bill

    S_T_A_R G_A_Z_E_R Owners List: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/sg.html

    My Homepage: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/

    Remove the "nospam" from my e-mail address to send me a message.

    Take up the game of pocket billiards.

    Otto

    CARGPB11

    Bryan Kelly wrote:
    > Real funny, Clive. If you spent as much time fixing my boards as you
    > do cracking jokes here, I'd have the damn thing back already. ;-)

    Oops, a typo there methinks, Bryan! You need to substitute "back" with
    "on fire". ;-)

    Clive
    ("I love the smell of burnt boards in the morning...") ;-)

    > Now get back to work!!!
    >
    > Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

    ---
    Board repairs, EPROMs, servicing...

    The Coin-Op Cauldron
    103 Armistead Lane
    Easley, SC 29642
    (864)238-1707
    http://www.coinopcauldron.com

    abc123nospam@iquest.net wrote:

    ......And here I thought your wife was
    only concerned about the smell of cat pee
    > in your house...

    If you can't beat (she won't let me)...
    then join them. ;-)
    --
    Rick Swanson

    Morristown, Tennessee
    CARGPB6

    > Playing new ones doesn't even excite me anymore. I tried to be first
    > in line to play the local NASCAR and was distinctly underwhelmed. Was
    > it the game or just my general apathy?

    Could well be the game. I hit that point about five years ago. It took
    Stern putting out what I thought were good titles to make me interested.
    It really surprised me when it happened.

    > Six months ago, all I wanted to do was figure out how to get a NIB
    > Stern. Now, I realize that there's no way that I will get $4k of
    > entertainment out of it.

    Wise move. I've never seen the point of buying new.

    > Someone gives me that tired, "I know someone with an old machine
    > sitting in their garage" and I don't even bother acting interested
    > anymore. The similarly old, "I've got a nice one that doesn't work
    > anymore" seldom elicits a "I can fix it!" response from me these days.

    If you've done a lot of repairs, that's normal.

    I have many different hobbies, pinball is one of my newer ones. I tend
    to get obsessed for a period of time, learn everything I can, read
    everything I can, and eventually get burned out temporarily and go back
    to an old hobby or move on to a new one. These things are cycles for
    me so I never sell off the stuff from my last hobby because I know
    after a few months or a few years I'll be interested in it again.

    For example, about a decade ago I got into playing the Magic the
    Gathering collectible card game. I spent a bunch of money on cards,
    played the game all the time, then got burned out on it. Then a few
    years ago I got interested in it again and played it more than ever. I
    still had all my cards from the first time I played, unlike all my
    buddies who had sold theirs and had to spend hundreds of dollars buying
    them back.

    Pinball might be a little different in that regard though. You can
    actually make most of your money back selling your pinball machines
    unlike a lot of other hobbies where you'd lose money selling off your
    collection and buying it back later. If you're actually sick of them,
    I'd say sell them off, put the money towards a new car, your mortgage,
    retirement fund, or whatever.

    http://www.pinballblog.com
    http://www.gameroomblog.com

Games Video Games Product