  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
September 12, 2005 1:30:06 PM

In a way, I'm kinda laughing at this. I've read plenty of reports on
hobbies and their enthusiasts, and it's almost a universal that people
abandon hobbies after about 3 years. At that point, you've seen and
done it all.

Well, I've been doing this right around 4 years, and folks.. I think I
may have seen and done it all.

You run down your typical lists of "must owns" from the different
manufacturers and eras, and I've usually owned a sizeable chunk of
them. Owned just about everything I can remember from my childhood,
and the exceptions I've played so much at shows and such that I don't
care.

Playing new ones doesn't even excite me anymore. I tried to be first
in line to play the local NASCAR and was distinctly underwhelmed. Was
it the game or just my general apathy?

Six months ago, all I wanted to do was figure out how to get a NIB
Stern. Now, I realize that there's no way that I will get $4k of
entertainment out of it.

Someone gives me that tired, "I know someone with an old machine
sitting in their garage" and I don't even bother acting interested
anymore. The similarly old, "I've got a nice one that doesn't work
anymore" seldom elicits a "I can fix it!" response from me these days.

So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
exciting hobby.

More about : left

September 12, 2005 1:36:44 PM

Maybe you've grown up? Nah, that cant be it!

Somehow this posts reeks of attention seeking :)

Wil
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 1:55:30 PM

pinballjim wrote:

> So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
> exciting hobby.

Peggy Lee sang a song about yer malaise. ("Is that all there is? Then
let's keep flippin'.") Ron's got it, too:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/30...
September 12, 2005 2:00:16 PM

I guess we all have a different approach to things, including pinball
collecting. In my case, I'm looking forward to moving on the next
chapter - I've invested almost a year of concentrated effort into
gathering the absolute best possible examples I could find of 8 titles
that my family and friends can now enjoy for years - eventually they'll
get passed on to my kids for their kids etc. I hope to only have a few
more months to go before my remaining restorations are completed. I've
loved the experience of chasing down the games and parts, but now look
forward to playing them and focusing my energies on other areas of life
as time is ever so precious.

I hope you find a balance as well and can enjoy the fruits of your 4
years of effort. All the best.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:04:23 PM

pinballjim wrote:
> In a way, I'm kinda laughing at this. I've read plenty of reports on
> hobbies and their enthusiasts, and it's almost a universal that people
> abandon hobbies after about 3 years. At that point, you've seen and
> done it all.

...well, maybe done all that you care to. There are so many offshoots to
this hobby (gun games, bowlers, really old EM stuff) that you could
dabble in until you die and never really "see it all".

> Well, I've been doing this right around 4 years, and folks.. I think I
> may have seen and done it all.

I get this way once a year or once every couple years. I take time off,
my game sit, I do other things, I move back into it. You can't do the
same thing over and over or you get burned out.

> Playing new ones doesn't even excite me anymore. I tried to be first
> in line to play the local NASCAR and was distinctly underwhelmed. Was
> it the game or just my general apathy?

Who said the answer was in a NIB game? I hardly get a kick out of a new
game out on the street. I REALLY don't want to be seen as a guy who is
in the hobby because he had enough cash to be. I'd rather do it my way.

> Someone gives me that tired, "I know someone with an old machine
> sitting in their garage" and I don't even bother acting interested
> anymore. The similarly old, "I've got a nice one that doesn't work
> anymore" seldom elicits a "I can fix it!" response from me these days.

Once you chased down enough junk, those kinds of comments don't do much
for me. I've got enough projects without trying to find a home for some
broken down sys1 game or being someone else's repair bitch.

> So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
> exciting hobby.

Life is only as exciting as you make it.

Kirb
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:11:49 PM

Maybe you are just a 'been there, done that' kind of person.
Therefore, the only thing left to do is give your machines
to...say...ME, and move on your next thing.

I get burned out on aspects of the hobby, may go several weeks without
doing even the simplest of repairs, and just play the games that are
working all the way. Then go the opposite way, and then sometimes
balance playing and tinkering. One thing that ALWAYS re-energizes me
is having other people play my games, and comment on how cool it is to
see these things working.

Cheers!!
Bob
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:17:57 PM

Turn all your games on at 3am, dim the room lights, and sit on a high
stool in the middle, and wonder how did you come to love pinball in the
first place.
Works for me.

Marcel
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 2:39:29 PM

There is not much more for me to add, but...

I have had interruptions in the hobby (moving cross-country, injury/surgery)
where I have been away for a long period of time, but it seems to rekindle
the interest. I have been in it 7 years myself.

Here is an idea. Find an old junker, fix it mechanically 100%, do whatever
aesthetic work to the game your principles dictate, (at least make the game
presentable) and donate it to your favorite charity auction. The response
you will receive from the charity's leadership will be particularly
gratifying, and you will know you have done a good thing.

Regards,
Dan
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 3:08:04 PM

just make sure steve and i get you bh and hh!!! ;-D

pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

Eric A. wrote:
> On 12 Sep 2005 09:30:06 -0700, "pinballjim" <pinballjim@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >In a way, I'm kinda laughing at this. I've read plenty of reports on
> >hobbies and their enthusiasts, and it's almost a universal that people
> >abandon hobbies after about 3 years. At that point, you've seen and
> >done it all.
> >
> >Well, I've been doing this right around 4 years, and folks.. I think I
> >may have seen and done it all.
> >
> >You run down your typical lists of "must owns" from the different
> >manufacturers and eras, and I've usually owned a sizeable chunk of
> >them. Owned just about everything I can remember from my childhood,
> >and the exceptions I've played so much at shows and such that I don't
> >care.
> >
> >Playing new ones doesn't even excite me anymore. I tried to be first
> >in line to play the local NASCAR and was distinctly underwhelmed. Was
> >it the game or just my general apathy?
> >
> >Six months ago, all I wanted to do was figure out how to get a NIB
> >Stern. Now, I realize that there's no way that I will get $4k of
> >entertainment out of it.
> >
> >Someone gives me that tired, "I know someone with an old machine
> >sitting in their garage" and I don't even bother acting interested
> >anymore. The similarly old, "I've got a nice one that doesn't work
> >anymore" seldom elicits a "I can fix it!" response from me these days.
> >
> >So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
> >exciting hobby.
> I'm right there with ya. I've had a few things that have really made me
> contemplate selling my whole collection off.
>

> --
> Eric A.
> eavedesianNOSPAM@comcast.net
> 313-268-0541
>
> Mr. Propane Torch!!
>
> ELV!S,TZ,Cy(l*ne,FH,STTNG,RFM,BH,HH,HS,HS2,CV,B@by-P@c M@n,IJ,RS,BK
> Remove NOSPAM to reply
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 3:13:19 PM

try to stop trolling? buy a rich mans 1812? ;-)

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 3:23:40 PM

In article <1126544130.879986.193060@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, josh489
@hotmail.com says...
> pinballjim wrote:
>
> > So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
> > exciting hobby.
>
> Peggy Lee sang a song about yer malaise. ("Is that all there is? Then
> let's keep flippin'.") Ron's got it, too:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/30...

I'm still pluggin' away and trying to rejuvenate though :-)
--
Ron -- CARGPB7
ronstr@asisnotapplicable.com (change not applicable to na)

Sometimes it helps to step back a little and realize the reason(s)
why you got into this hobby.

May Dad bought 15 machines back in the 1950's
before I was born. He kept one pin, a Williams "Hong Kong".

I remember standing on a stool having the time of my life
playing that pinball. I continued to play it into my Jr High years.
Then something broke on it, and at the time all us kids had lost
interest in it. So it sat. My Dad piled a bunch of junk on it and
used it for a storage bench. I went off to college, moved away.
And spent the next 25 years just playing the pins at arcades
once and a while.

So 5 years ago I asked my dad if I could have the old pinball
in the cellar. I wound up driving to upstate NY from Huntsville,AL.
When I unloaded the thing it was in really bad, dirty shape. The
rubbers had even kind of oozed themselves down onto the playfield.

I cleaned it off and found a cam that had worn through in the reset
mechanism. And voila, it worked! A sound of ringing bells I hadn't
heard
from my childhood. So I began my first restoration job. I found RGP and

with a lot of help and advice I was able to get it back in shape. You
don't
hear much from me. I usually find someone has alrady experienced my
problems through Google. But at this point, according to my wife, the
sickness began.

Anyway, I enjoyed the task, I enjoyed the play. I liked having the old
pinball that is
one of my earliest memories out in my garage. Next I decided I wanted a

Captain Fantastic. I played it a lot in my senior year in High School.
Than
a TZ. I wanted a game with the challange that many RGP'ers said it
had.
Oh wow! pins that talk . . . Now I've remodeled the garage into a
gameroom
and have ten pins (and some of them are future projects).

And I realized a while back that sometimes I may go week or two without

messing with or playing any of them. And have wondered if I should
sell them.
I have a Funhouse torn apart in the shop right now. I haven't touched
it in 2
weeks. Life would sure would be easier without them. . .

Than my grandchildren come to visit. And I'm watching my two year old
grandson
standing on a stool playing the "Hong Kong" having a ball. . . and I
smile. As they
say "priceless".

Well, until he proceeded to rip off his diaper and than pee all over
the place.

Everyone of us are in it for our own reason. What is yours?

Bill
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:17:42 PM

Sounds like a case of "The summertime blues", to me...

You still haven't "done" Expo yet, so you still have a ways
to go. :)

--
Fred
TX

"pinballjim" <pinballjim@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1126542606.568109.147010@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> In a way, I'm kinda laughing at this. I've read plenty of reports on
> hobbies and their enthusiasts, and it's almost a universal that people
> abandon hobbies after about 3 years. At that point, you've seen and
> done it all.
September 12, 2005 4:32:31 PM

I think it's just a cool hobby to have. Aside from the fun of fixing
games both modern and old, it's really nice to see the kids in the
neighborhood come over and ask if they can play. 1 kid even likes to
play my EM games! And there is always the "WOW" factor when people come
over and see the garage for the first time:)

And the other day my wife was explaining to a person who lives around
the block from us where our house was exactly and she said we have all
these pinball machines in the garage and the lady said "I know exactly
which house is yours!"

nomad
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:40:40 PM

Yeah, I kinda like being known as the weird guy at the end of the
street with all those games in his basement. :-)

Of course, they also say I'm the weird guy with the neat garage....and
the neat shop......and the neat yard......and the.......

Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

"Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"

(Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)

nomad wrote:
> I think it's just a cool hobby to have. Aside from the fun of fixing
> games both modern and old, it's really nice to see the kids in the
> neighborhood come over and ask if they can play. 1 kid even likes to
> play my EM games! And there is always the "WOW" factor when people come
> over and see the garage for the first time:)
>
> And the other day my wife was explaining to a person who lives around
> the block from us where our house was exactly and she said we have all
> these pinball machines in the garage and the lady said "I know exactly
> which house is yours!"
>
> nomad
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:43:44 PM

Maybe you got a little too obsessed with it too fast. And now you are
burned out on it. Me, I still play every day as much as I squeeze in.

So what are you selling? ;)

As Lloyd always says, "take a step back and remember why you first got
into pinball."

John!

pinballjim wrote:
> In a way, I'm kinda laughing at this. I've read plenty of reports on
> hobbies and their enthusiasts, and it's almost a universal that people
> abandon hobbies after about 3 years. At that point, you've seen and
> done it all.
>
> Well, I've been doing this right around 4 years, and folks.. I think I
> may have seen and done it all.
>
> You run down your typical lists of "must owns" from the different
> manufacturers and eras, and I've usually owned a sizeable chunk of
> them. Owned just about everything I can remember from my childhood,
> and the exceptions I've played so much at shows and such that I don't
> care.
>
> Playing new ones doesn't even excite me anymore. I tried to be first
> in line to play the local NASCAR and was distinctly underwhelmed. Was
> it the game or just my general apathy?
>
> Six months ago, all I wanted to do was figure out how to get a NIB
> Stern. Now, I realize that there's no way that I will get $4k of
> entertainment out of it.
>
> Someone gives me that tired, "I know someone with an old machine
> sitting in their garage" and I don't even bother acting interested
> anymore. The similarly old, "I've got a nice one that doesn't work
> anymore" seldom elicits a "I can fix it!" response from me these days.
>
> So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
> exciting hobby.

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:54:53 PM

On 12 Sep 2005 09:30:06 -0700, "pinballjim" <pinballjim@hotmail.com> wrote:

>In a way, I'm kinda laughing at this. I've read plenty of reports on
>hobbies and their enthusiasts, and it's almost a universal that people
>abandon hobbies after about 3 years. At that point, you've seen and
>done it all.
>
>Well, I've been doing this right around 4 years, and folks.. I think I
>may have seen and done it all.
>
>You run down your typical lists of "must owns" from the different
>manufacturers and eras, and I've usually owned a sizeable chunk of
>them. Owned just about everything I can remember from my childhood,
>and the exceptions I've played so much at shows and such that I don't
>care.
>
>Playing new ones doesn't even excite me anymore. I tried to be first
>in line to play the local NASCAR and was distinctly underwhelmed. Was
>it the game or just my general apathy?
>
>Six months ago, all I wanted to do was figure out how to get a NIB
>Stern. Now, I realize that there's no way that I will get $4k of
>entertainment out of it.
>
>Someone gives me that tired, "I know someone with an old machine
>sitting in their garage" and I don't even bother acting interested
>anymore. The similarly old, "I've got a nice one that doesn't work
>anymore" seldom elicits a "I can fix it!" response from me these days.
>
>So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
>exciting hobby.
I'm right there with ya. I've had a few things that have really made me
contemplate selling my whole collection off.

--
Eric A.
eavedesianNOSPAM@comcast.net
313-268-0541

Mr. Propane Torch!!

ELV!S,TZ,Cy(l*ne,FH,STTNG,RFM,BH,HH,HS,HS2,CV,B@by-P@c M@n,IJ,RS,BK
Remove NOSPAM to reply
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 4:58:00 PM

"These aren't just machines, they are works of art you can interact
with, one of the few things invented
by man that is almost alive."

You've just created a statement for the entire hobby!
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 5:33:44 PM

The hobby didn't change, you did. How many hobbies have you been in ? And
have they all gone the same way for you ? If so you should think about why
you get into something, and what exactly pleases you and why you repeat the
same scenario expecting different results. Maybe think about what you want
out of a hobby. And why you don't get what you want out of it. A hobby can't
make you happy, only you can do that.

I've been around pinball machines for around 47 years, it's work for me and
not a hobby. Yet when I set up, fix, clean, repair, do anything to a
machine, it still excites me to slide the glass back on and admire the
machine. To think about the evolution of the game and the designers that
have a good part of themselves in their designs. These aren't just machines,
they are works of art you can interact with, one of the few things invented
by man that is almost alive.

Bland end ? Not hardly, not ever. LTG :)

"pinballjim" <pinballjim@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
> exciting hobby.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 5:33:56 PM

Hm, interesting take on a troll post.. things slow on IRC today? ;)

Anyway, I got bored with pinball in general a couple years ago, so I
did other things and the machines sat relatively idle. Got more
interest when winter came, wound up with a half dozen more games
eventually. This summer I haven't done much pinball-related activity
at all.. other things to do, but they'll be waiting (with all sorts of
nutty issues and problem) this fall when I get back into it again.

It's hard to maintain interest in pinball over the summer when there
are so many other things to do outside.

pinballjim wrote:
> In a way, I'm kinda laughing at this. I've read plenty of reports on
> hobbies and their enthusiasts, and it's almost a universal that people
> abandon hobbies after about 3 years. At that point, you've seen and
> done it all.
>
> Well, I've been doing this right around 4 years, and folks.. I think I
> may have seen and done it all.
>
> You run down your typical lists of "must owns" from the different
> manufacturers and eras, and I've usually owned a sizeable chunk of
> them. Owned just about everything I can remember from my childhood,
> and the exceptions I've played so much at shows and such that I don't
> care.
>
> Playing new ones doesn't even excite me anymore. I tried to be first
> in line to play the local NASCAR and was distinctly underwhelmed. Was
> it the game or just my general apathy?
>
> Six months ago, all I wanted to do was figure out how to get a NIB
> Stern. Now, I realize that there's no way that I will get $4k of
> entertainment out of it.
>
> Someone gives me that tired, "I know someone with an old machine
> sitting in their garage" and I don't even bother acting interested
> anymore. The similarly old, "I've got a nice one that doesn't work
> anymore" seldom elicits a "I can fix it!" response from me these days.
>
> So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
> exciting hobby.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 5:50:47 PM

pinballjim wrote:

>...Well, I've been doing this right around 4 years, and folks.. I think I
>may have seen and done it all....

I understand your feelings. I'm in my 5th year of this hobby and my
enthusiasm has diminished significantly over the last 12 months.

There are, however, two elements of this hobby that I will never tire
of. The first is the people. Whether it is at Expo or at the local
auctions, I love interacting with pinball people. There are some
extremely cool people in this hobby.

The second element is the thrill of figuring out why something on a
pinball machine doesn't work. The analysis that goes into figuring out
why something doesn't work, and then fixing it, must release some sort
of endorphins. I've become addicted to those endorphins; much like
folks who get hooked on adrenaline. I think that is why I like buying
pins at coin-op auctions. Often the previous owner has simply gotten
tired of trying to fix the pin and thus passes the challenge to somebody
else. I like buying those challenges. Some of my nicest games
(cosmetically) are those I picked up at auction and which had multiple
problems affecting gameplay. Now they both look great and play great.

Rick Swanson
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 6:38:47 PM

"Growing tired" is a universal "truth" for most anything, it is doubtful
that anyone would say they have the SAME FRESH enthusiasm for a hobby
several years after they have been in it. When you strat anything new and
approach it with zeal, the excitement is great, but once it is "mastered",
the excitement is DIFFERENT, not the same. You should not expect it to be
the same, it cannot be - it is not new. Find some different ways to enjoy
it, delve in where you have not, or move on to something else. Your
experience is not unusual.

Chris

"pinballjim" <pinballjim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In a way, I'm kinda laughing at this. I've read plenty of reports on
> hobbies and their enthusiasts, and it's almost a universal that people
> abandon hobbies after about 3 years. At that point, you've seen and
> done it all.
>
> Well, I've been doing this right around 4 years, and folks.. I think I
> may have seen and done it all.
>
> You run down your typical lists of "must owns" from the different
> manufacturers and eras, and I've usually owned a sizeable chunk of
> them. Owned just about everything I can remember from my childhood,
> and the exceptions I've played so much at shows and such that I don't
> care.
>
> Playing new ones doesn't even excite me anymore. I tried to be first
> in line to play the local NASCAR and was distinctly underwhelmed. Was
> it the game or just my general apathy?
>
> Six months ago, all I wanted to do was figure out how to get a NIB
> Stern. Now, I realize that there's no way that I will get $4k of
> entertainment out of it.
>
> Someone gives me that tired, "I know someone with an old machine
> sitting in their garage" and I don't even bother acting interested
> anymore. The similarly old, "I've got a nice one that doesn't work
> anymore" seldom elicits a "I can fix it!" response from me these days.
>
> So there you have it.. a bland end to what was, at one point, an
> exciting hobby.

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 7:02:52 PM

Dad, I never thought of you a weird. AH :)

"Bryan Kelly" <bskelly3@aol.com> wrote in message
> Yeah, I kinda like being known as the weird guy at the end of the
> street with all those games in his basement. :-)
>
> Of course, they also say I'm the weird guy with the neat garage....and
> the neat shop......and the neat yard......and the neat.......future son in
law......

> Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins
>
> "Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
> shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
> city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"
>
> (Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 7:06:05 PM

LOL! Love it! :D

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
============================
Bill wrote:

> Than my grandchildren come to visit. And I'm watching my two year old
> grandson
> standing on a stool playing the "Hong Kong" having a ball. . . and I
> smile. As they
> say "priceless".
>
> Well, until he proceeded to rip off his diaper and than pee all over
> the place.
>
> Everyone of us are in it for our own reason. What is yours?
>
> Bill
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 7:10:58 PM

Whats left for you? Play all those games.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 8:21:57 PM

Real funny, Clive. If you spent as much time fixing my boards as you
do cracking jokes here, I'd have the damn thing back already. ;-)

Now get back to work!!!

Coin-Op Cauldron (Clive) wrote:
> Bryan Kelly wrote:
> > Yeah, I kinda like being known as the weird guy at the end of the
> > street with all those games in his basement. :-)
> >
> > Of course, they also say I'm the weird guy with the neat garage....and
> > the neat shop......and the neat yard......and the.......
>
> ...neat Fire truck on the driveway. ;-)
>
> Clive
>

> > Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins
> >
> > "Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
> > shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
> > city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"
> >
> > (Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)
> >

> > nomad wrote:
> >
> >>I think it's just a cool hobby to have. Aside from the fun of fixing
> >>games both modern and old, it's really nice to see the kids in the
> >>neighborhood come over and ask if they can play. 1 kid even likes to
> >>play my EM games! And there is always the "WOW" factor when people come
> >>over and see the garage for the first time:)
> >>
> >>And the other day my wife was explaining to a person who lives around
> >>the block from us where our house was exactly and she said we have all
> >>these pinball machines in the garage and the lady said "I know exactly
> >>which house is yours!"
> >>
> >>nomad
> >

> --
> ---
> Board repairs, EPROMs, servicing...
>
> The Coin-Op Cauldron
> 103 Armistead Lane
> Easley, SC 29642
> (864)238-1707
> http://www.coinopcauldron.com
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 8:24:51 PM

"nomad" <damonoresky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I think it's just a cool hobby to have. Aside from the fun of fixing
> games both modern and old, it's really nice to see the kids in the
> neighborhood come over and ask if they can play. 1 kid even likes to
> play my EM games! And there is always the "WOW" factor when people come
> over and see the garage for the first time:)
>
> And the other day my wife was explaining to a person who lives around
> the block from us where our house was exactly and she said we have all
> these pinball machines in the garage and the lady said "I know exactly
> which house is yours!"
>
> nomad

Same thing here....the guy will all the pinball machines in the garage!! LOL
Seriously though, when I get tired of working on them or even at times
playing them I take a few weeks break and do some other things. It's hard to
believe but there is more to life than pinball!!! ;-)

-Terry
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 8:34:57 PM

Bill wrote:

>Well, until he proceeded to rip off his diaper and than pee all over
>the place. ...

Been there... done that. ;-)

Rick Swanson
September 12, 2005 9:42:59 PM

I am definitely only at a fraction of the 'pinball intensity' that I
was 20 years ago, that's for sure. I don't obsessively sit up all
night screwing around with them anymore, every hobby starts to get
frayed at the edges.
As for getting $4k of entertainment out of a new machine, of course you
can't (I bought a LOTR 8 months ago.) But if it's a good game in HUO
condition you aren't just flushing 4K down the toilet, you will get a
large percentage of that 4K back when you sell it. I do the same thing
all the time when I'm thinking of a big purchase like an antique car,
or a new car. I think gee I'm tossing 30K out the window on this (fill
in the blank)... then have to remind myself that it's not just 30K or
whatever disappearing, it is an investment or sorts and when I sell it,
someone is going to give me more than 50 cents to take it off my hands
at a later date. And used games (and even a few new ones) might even
MAKE me money. So a better way to think of it is, am I going to get
(purchase price - expected resale value) out of it?....Frenchy
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 9:46:18 PM

Got bored just as I was finishing up the JP protectors, huh? :p  Oh well!
Step away for a while, try something new and see if you end up missing
pinball or not.

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

Been at it for 8yrs now (much to my wifes dismay) and still going
strong.
Guess maybe I'm in an upswing!

Lee
September 12, 2005 10:43:47 PM

I guess I'll Chime in ,,

To me Pinball is just a hobby that I enjoy,, I dont play everyday even
though I'm sitting here with my games, I get tired & leave them alone a
few weeks at a time,,, MY PROBLEM, is,
I put to much on my plate trying to do more to help others &
then not be able to finish a deal I started & get Guilt trips, I really
feel bad & I tell myself I'll just enjoy my games & try not to do as
much,, Problem is,, In this hobby helping people find parts & helping
w/ a problem is TO ME almost half the fun, & Yet that "Habit" of
falling behind wants me to walk away BUT, I do work for OPs & I have 6
locations of mine I have to take care of,
So I caint get away from it all together,, My other Hobby is my 69
Camaro & after it gets home ( any day now ) I think I'm going to
put more of my afforts there since it HAS been gone close to 2 years (
Complete Restoration ) & Bryan K & Chris H would be proud to see the
Detail work that has been done to this one.
Everything else in my life is going great even knowing I still have a
Brain Tumor to deal with But I dont let that hold me back &
Everyday is a New Day & I'd Rather walk away from this when I'm tired &
give it a Rest BUT keep my Games as its something I have always loved,,
Jim,, If you sell those games & then get the bug 2 years from now to
build another collection you'll have a heck of a hard time
rebuilding,,, Give it a Rest & Think about it ,
You might be glad you did !!

Pin-Del,
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 10:46:55 PM

I believe the key to longevity in this hobby is to take it slow and
steady and realize that your enthusiasium will ebb and flow over the
months and years. I have seen guys jump in with both feet and buy up a
dozen machines in a year; the next year they unload them all. Funny
though, more than once I've seen the same said person turn around a
year or so later and start buying machines again but with one big
difference - they don't buy, fix, clean, and/or restore 12 machines in
one year; staying up all night months on end getting it all done,
because they realize that this leads to burn-out.

Personally, I am currently burnt out on complete teardown-and-rebuild
projects. 2 of my last 3 games have been NIB for this very reason (and
I've had to sell off 4 machines to make it happen). However, recently
I have found myself straying back to the toolbox and I feel the cycle
starting all over again.

Another trend I have seen lately is people building their own machines
from scratch at home; yet another way to enjoy the hobby.

Terry.
CARGPB25
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 10:57:12 PM

--
---
Board repairs, EPROMs, servicing...

The Coin-Op Cauldron
103 Armistead Lane
Easley, SC 29642
(864)238-1707
http://www.coinopcauldron.com
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:10:14 AM

Thanks for sharing your story, Bill. This post of yours is among the best
I've ever read on RGP!

Thanks again!
Jeff Giesting

In article <1126551120.837401.122080@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, "Bill"
<dusin1@mchsi.com> wrote:
>Sometimes it helps to step back a little and realize the reason(s)
>why you got into this hobby.
>
>May Dad bought 15 machines back in the 1950's
>before I was born. He kept one pin, a Williams "Hong Kong".
>
>I remember standing on a stool having the time of my life
>playing that pinball. I continued to play it into my Jr High years.
>Then something broke on it, and at the time all us kids had lost
>interest in it. So it sat. My Dad piled a bunch of junk on it and
>used it for a storage bench. I went off to college, moved away.
>And spent the next 25 years just playing the pins at arcades
>once and a while.
>
>So 5 years ago I asked my dad if I could have the old pinball
>in the cellar. I wound up driving to upstate NY from Huntsville,AL.
>When I unloaded the thing it was in really bad, dirty shape. The
>rubbers had even kind of oozed themselves down onto the playfield.
>
>I cleaned it off and found a cam that had worn through in the reset
>mechanism. And voila, it worked! A sound of ringing bells I hadn't
>heard
>from my childhood. So I began my first restoration job. I found RGP and
>
>with a lot of help and advice I was able to get it back in shape. You
>don't
>hear much from me. I usually find someone has alrady experienced my
>problems through Google. But at this point, according to my wife, the
>sickness began.
>
>Anyway, I enjoyed the task, I enjoyed the play. I liked having the old
>pinball that is
>one of my earliest memories out in my garage. Next I decided I wanted a
>
>Captain Fantastic. I played it a lot in my senior year in High School.
>Than
>a TZ. I wanted a game with the challange that many RGP'ers said it
>had.
>Oh wow! pins that talk . . . Now I've remodeled the garage into a
>gameroom
>and have ten pins (and some of them are future projects).
>
>And I realized a while back that sometimes I may go week or two without
>
>messing with or playing any of them. And have wondered if I should
>sell them.
>I have a Funhouse torn apart in the shop right now. I haven't touched
>it in 2
>weeks. Life would sure would be easier without them. . .
>
>Than my grandchildren come to visit. And I'm watching my two year old
>grandson
>standing on a stool playing the "Hong Kong" having a ball. . . and I
>smile. As they
>say "priceless".
>
>Well, until he proceeded to rip off his diaper and than pee all over
>the place.
>
>Everyone of us are in it for our own reason. What is yours?
>
>Bill

S_T_A_R G_A_Z_E_R Owners List: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/sg.html

My Homepage: http://members.iquest.net/~abc123/

Remove the "nospam" from my e-mail address to send me a message.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 12:18:27 AM

Bryan Kelly wrote:
> Real funny, Clive. If you spent as much time fixing my boards as you
> do cracking jokes here, I'd have the damn thing back already. ;-)

Oops, a typo there methinks, Bryan! You need to substitute "back" with
"on fire". ;-)

Clive
("I love the smell of burnt boards in the morning...") ;-)

> Now get back to work!!!
>
> Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

---
Board repairs, EPROMs, servicing...

The Coin-Op Cauldron
103 Armistead Lane
Easley, SC 29642
(864)238-1707
http://www.coinopcauldron.com
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:01:27 AM

abc123nospam@iquest.net wrote:

......And here I thought your wife was
only concerned about the smell of cat pee
> in your house...

If you can't beat (she won't let me)...
then join them. ;-)
--
Rick Swanson

Morristown, Tennessee
CARGPB6
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 5:58:08 AM

> Playing new ones doesn't even excite me anymore. I tried to be first
> in line to play the local NASCAR and was distinctly underwhelmed. Was
> it the game or just my general apathy?

Could well be the game. I hit that point about five years ago. It took
Stern putting out what I thought were good titles to make me interested.
It really surprised me when it happened.

> Six months ago, all I wanted to do was figure out how to get a NIB
> Stern. Now, I realize that there's no way that I will get $4k of
> entertainment out of it.

Wise move. I've never seen the point of buying new.

> Someone gives me that tired, "I know someone with an old machine
> sitting in their garage" and I don't even bother acting interested
> anymore. The similarly old, "I've got a nice one that doesn't work
> anymore" seldom elicits a "I can fix it!" response from me these days.

If you've done a lot of repairs, that's normal.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 8:08:16 AM

I have many different hobbies, pinball is one of my newer ones. I tend
to get obsessed for a period of time, learn everything I can, read
everything I can, and eventually get burned out temporarily and go back
to an old hobby or move on to a new one. These things are cycles for
me so I never sell off the stuff from my last hobby because I know
after a few months or a few years I'll be interested in it again.

For example, about a decade ago I got into playing the Magic the
Gathering collectible card game. I spent a bunch of money on cards,
played the game all the time, then got burned out on it. Then a few
years ago I got interested in it again and played it more than ever. I
still had all my cards from the first time I played, unlike all my
buddies who had sold theirs and had to spend hundreds of dollars buying
them back.

Pinball might be a little different in that regard though. You can
actually make most of your money back selling your pinball machines
unlike a lot of other hobbies where you'd lose money selling off your
collection and buying it back later. If you're actually sick of them,
I'd say sell them off, put the money towards a new car, your mortgage,
retirement fund, or whatever.

http://www.pinballblog.com
http://www.gameroomblog.com
!