New Machine need advice.

DataCrypt

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2005
Well, Im looking at this so far.
AMD FX-55
Zalman CNPS7700-Cu CPU Cooler
2GB (2 sticks) DDR2 (need recommendation)
MSI Neo4 or the latest ASUS Board (need recommendation)
BFG Tech 6800 Ultra PCI-E
74 Gig Raptor
Audigy2 Value

Any feedback will be glady accepted. Oh ya im getting the Dragon MGE/XG Case when it comes out at XGBOX.com awesome case.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by datacrypt on 02/12/05 03:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I could be wrong, but AMD chipsets don't use DDR2.

</font color=red><i><font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS </font color=blue><font color=red>AMERICA

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
dhlucke is right, no ddr2 for AMD. 2 gigs of RAM is nice but not necessary for gaming (it looks like a gaming setup to me)

You have to make sure the Zalman fits, it's quite big.

Get a good PSU with that case, at least 450 watts a-brand.

DataCrypt

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2005
how does the NV-Silencer-5 install screws thru the MB?
On the ram im play EverQuest too so i need lots of ram I will use less when they fix the memory leak. I play FPS'es and have 40fps hehe.

Also on the ram what brand? Im thinking OCZ Corsair or Kingston

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
With NV-5 you remove old fan and heat sink assembly from the video card. They supply new copper heat sink and all the screws and rubber spacers plus a tube of stuff to apply to mem and video chip. One caution is that it requires 2 PCI slots. Most if not all 6800s do anyway, but the NV-5 uses the adjacent slot by creating a wind tunnel on that side and vents the air out through a slotted cover (supplied in the kit)on the rear of the rig.

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Good thing you did that. I would have hated to have advised you to spend money when you didn't have to.
Heard that is an awesome card too.
Best of luck with the rig.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by palmerg on 02/12/05 06:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>