Tech: Speaker Wire Upgrade

Has anyone ever tried replacing their speaker wire with shielded
co-axial? I have a few system 11 games that still have a small amount
of 'residual hum'. Yes, the grounds are all proper. I can acutally
change the amount of hum by re-routing the speaker wire in the backbox.
Just wondering if the co-ax would help.

Thanks,
Gregg B
5 answers Last reply
More about tech speaker wire upgrade

    This won't help at all. The noise is picked up in the amplifier board,
    so it is already in the signal that goes to the speakers.

    Moving the speaker wires and changing the hum is probably coming from
    some other effect.

    This won't help at all. The noise is picked up in the amplifier board,
    so it is already in the signal that goes to the speakers.

    Moving the speaker wires and changing the hum is probably coming from
    some other effect.

    Try running the speaker wires through one of those clamp-on ferrite
    chokes; that may help suppress noise that is being picked up by the
    speaker wires. You'll want to install the ferrite choke as close to
    the sound board as possible. Radio Shack sells a clamp-on ferrite
    choke (#273-105) that runs about $5.

    Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

    martin wrote:
    > This won't help at all. The noise is picked up in the amplifier board,
    > so it is already in the signal that goes to the speakers.
    >
    > Moving the speaker wires and changing the hum is probably coming from
    > some other effect.

    Mmmm, yes and no. It depends on where it's picking the noise up from
    in the first place.

    On my Star Trek NG, for example, I went to coaxially shielded wire.
    There was SUCH a large outrush from the capacitors on my homebrew floor
    flasher driver board that it leaked into the audio system. Quad
    shielded RG6 cleared it right up! But I wasn't running any real
    -power- over it, just was using it to carry the line level outs to the
    crossover and amplifiers.

    I would play around with the routing of the wires inside the head
    before I went and changed the wires, though. I'd definitely keep it
    awayyyyyy from the DMD board.

    Right - so a few millivolts picked up in the cable is amplified in the
    amplifier and delivered to the speakers. If there's enough electrical
    nois in the cab to drive the speakers, there's a much bigger problem.

    It could be that noise is getting back into the ground of the
    amplifier. Coax won't help there either. Tony's ferrite trick might
    work. But the real problem is inadequate grounding.

Speakers Games Video Games