Your question

Have an old Pentium 4 that needs a motherboard

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Pentium
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
February 13, 2005 5:01:20 PM

I have a Pentium 4 1.4 Ghz which belongs to an old DELL (very propietary)which I purchased almost 4 years ago.
Processor seems to be working ok but the machine in general is getting very...very clanky and temperamental. So!!!I decided to take apart the computer and save what I can to build another.

I imagine a Pentium 4 CPU can not be propietary and I am looking for a Motherboard that will be the perfect companion for this processor.I need advice on that please.

I also want to save the OS (windows XP Home Upgrade and I have the installation CD with the CD KEY)but I also wonder if OS upgrades sent to you by DELL are propietary and if I can use it in the new machine I plan to build.

MOtherboard, case and power supply will be discarded unless somebody in this forum wants that propietary crap.
Memory also will be discarded (I have 256 megs of RAMBUS RDRAM) and if somebody want's it just tell me. Its free. You pay shipping.

More about : pentium motherboard

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2005 6:17:39 PM

Your best option is the Asus P4P800. one of the few boards to support 400/533/800 fsb processors.

I aint signing nothing!!!
February 13, 2005 9:00:14 PM

Thanks for the tip.
I am wondering also if the O/S (Windows XP HE upgrade)that is in this DELL MAchine is transferable to the new machine I am building (I ask because DELL is so propietary).
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2005 10:29:41 PM

First problem is, your P4 1.4 is probably Socket 423, which is dead. Newer boards are Socket 478, the CPU simply doesn't fit. If your CPU is Socket 478 (highly unlikely), the previously mentioned solution is valid.

The problem with the XP CD is that most OEM packaged OS installation disk check the motherboard and won't instal to any other manufacturer's board. Your license would still be valid, so one solution is to obtain an OEM CD that's not tied to a specific brand of machine.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
February 14, 2005 12:07:47 AM

Thanks Crashman...now I C my problem...I think my project to build a computer using parts of this DELL machine gets scrapped. Back to base 1.
February 14, 2005 12:11:06 AM

LOL...You too Elizabeth?...I guess the DELL machines are all over.

I am learning my lesson about buying propietary computers. It is much better to build your own.

T Y Crashman.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2005 1:09:35 AM

Not to confuse the issue: Most of Dell's parts are standard for their time, such as the CPU, RAM, video card (if present), modem (if present), and network card (if present). But the standard of THAT MACHINE'S time was Socket 423 for the processor and RDRAM, both of which are no longer relavent to today's common platforms. Had you asked this question 3 years ago you would have gotten a more "acceptable" answer!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
February 14, 2005 5:54:33 AM

Yes...it is socket 478.

I went to Intel's Web Site and searched for the specs of my CPU .

Based on the FSB and Frequency and Cache...the website gave me all the specs of my CPU.

Is made for socket 478 and I also used the website's configurator to findout the motherboards that are compatible.

The remaining problem is the O/S (windows xp HE). I do not understand very well about obtaining an installation CD that is not tied up to any brand in particular.

You mean to borrow one and use my own CD key to register the OS with Microsoft?...will it work?
February 14, 2005 5:57:56 AM

Crashman.
You mean to borrow a CD with Windows WX home edition and proceed with the installation and validate the os by using my own license?...is that possible?
February 14, 2005 6:00:28 AM

Now that I remember...a month ago I purchased an OEM Windows XP HE for a new machine I build. Will that CD do it?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2005 10:44:25 AM

Yes any cd will work. you just need a valid cd key for install and activation.

If the old dell is dead you can use the key from it. Although you may have to call microsoft to get activation.

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rick_Criswell on 02/14/05 07:46 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 14, 2005 11:21:56 AM

MS really should be PC and peddle the SHE edition also... :wink:

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2005 2:59:42 PM

Normally Dell/HP/Gateway/Emachines etc XP OEM keys work with any OEM CD same version. For example, many custom builders use XP Pro or XP Home OEM editions, normally those CD's work fine with the key. If it's Home, you need to use an OEM XP Home CD, if it's Pro, you need to use an XP Pro CD.

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2005 3:01:43 PM

Normally Dell/HP/Gateway/Emachines etc XP OEM keys work with any OEM CD same version. For example, many custom builders use XP Pro or XP Home OEM editions, normally those CD's work fine with the key. If it's Home, you need to use an OEM XP Home CD, if it's Pro, you need to use an XP Pro CD.

As far as using the Socket 478 Williamette core processors on modern boards, that depends on the board supporting earlier voltages, and the P4P800 does.

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2005 3:03:02 PM

Yes, that CD should do.

February 14, 2005 4:07:51 PM

Thanks for the help
February 14, 2005 4:10:16 PM

Thanks to all. Very Good help. Now I know what to do.
February 14, 2005 4:44:04 PM

For your information guys...I talked to ASUS and was informed that the P4P800 motherboard has been replaced by the P4P800 SE a few months ago. As a matter of fact...one can not find P4P800 anylonger in the market.
February 14, 2005 4:56:03 PM

HAVE A NEW ISSUE WITH MY OLD PENTIUM 4

This P4 1.4 ghz came from DELL with the Heatsink but NO fan on the heat sink. Instead some plastic tube contraption
that leads to a fan attached to the back panel of the case.

THE QUESTION: When I install this CPU on the new motherboard (also will have new case) should I leave the same heatsink or improve it by installing a new Heatsink with a fan.

Thanks.
February 14, 2005 6:40:19 PM

Forgive me if I missed you stating you don't want to do the following, but to me it Seems a shame to buy a new mobo and heatsink for that P4 1.4GHz. IMO, you should invest in a cheap A64. You can get a NF3 mobo and retail A64 2800+ (with heatsink/fan included) for about $190. I would do that and sell the current mobo/cpu/ram on ebay or something.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>
February 14, 2005 9:47:15 PM

now you just have to know your budget. i'd consider going on AXP. with mobo you have 2 joices, wether soc. 775 (low cost) or 939. and then things get intresting....
February 14, 2005 9:56:49 PM

Yes Pauldh...U R right...however my thinking is that for now I save around 125 dollars by not buying the Athlon 64 which I was thinking to buy. And in a few months from now I will be able to afford buying a much better Pentium 4 to apgrade the existing one. And buying the P4P800SE mobo now will give me the chance to have a running computer and a heck of a mobo for upgrades. I think is a matter of money right now. I only have to spend on a new case...PSU..and mobo...the rest is reusable.
February 15, 2005 2:20:46 AM

Those early P4's - 1.4 ghz were realy crap.

I think a 1Ghz P3 is faster.

However if you can use it for now and later fit a faster CPU to the board, I guess it's worth upgrading in the meantime.

A good MB also is the ASUS P4S800-MX, $69 Aus.
Has support for HT and 400, 533 & 800 FSB, plus a excellent "Award" Bios.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>
February 15, 2005 3:59:55 AM

Quote:
I save around 125 dollars by not buying the Athlon

So let's see if I have this right. You save $125 now, but suffer with crappy performance, so you can spend $200 latter, and still have crappy performance, but at least you wont be cold.
Sure, makes sense to me (snicker snicker) whatever you think.
February 15, 2005 4:29:43 AM

Well...lets see...if I save some money to buy me a Pentium 4 3.2 ghz or a bit higher...which will be a good match to the ASUS P4P800 SE ...is that considered crappy performance?....
February 15, 2005 7:48:33 AM

When compared to an A64, and at $90 more? Yup. Even the P4c will throttle under heavy use. It also puts out a minimum 50% more heat.
Not to worry, it will make a fine internet appliance.
February 15, 2005 8:00:36 AM

So in June or July, when everyone is cheering for long mode, do you realy want to upgrade to another 32 bit chip?
February 15, 2005 8:36:00 PM

Dude...I just finished to build a computer with an Athlon 64 3000+ CPU and an ASUS K8N mobo...it is a fantastic machine.

The Pentium 4 we R talking about is for my 8 year old son who can start with a limited system and upgrade as time goes by...I am teaching him to build a computer also...is a lot of fun.
The AThlon 64 cost me around 1200 dollars to complete with all the ad ons I wanted...and for my son... upgrading the Pentium 4 at this time will only cost me about 300 dollars. I think is worth it. Don't U ?
February 16, 2005 12:55:22 AM

For $300, you can get an Asus K8N, 512 or ddr400, and a s754 Sempron 2800. Which would be more fun?
When my daughter was 8, she had an xp 1700, to my 1800. Now she's 12. She has an A64 3000 to my 3200. If she has too much less than me, she wants to use my system. Man, the crap she can load onto a system in 10 minutes, can totally wipe it out.
February 16, 2005 2:29:00 AM

My 5 year old is on his 3rd PC. As his software gifts needed more power, I was forced to upgrade him from my spares. I definately know what you mean though as that well written kiddy software is going to stay on the kids computer.

But he is far behind your daughter. He is currently on a K7S5A/Tbird 1.33GHz/ GF3. He's young enough to think it's as good as every other computer in the house. I'm glad he hasn't noticed the difference between his system and my A64 gamer. :eek: 

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>
February 16, 2005 2:43:26 AM

I understand your intensions as I often try to complete/upgrade a system for as little as I can. But It seems that you are spending alot on this upgrade considering the performance you'll get out of it. It doesn't seem the best upgrade route considering how much you will be replacing. The big question I ask, is IF you didn't own the P4 1.4GHz cpu now, then what route would you go? That's the route I'd take as a 1.4GHz P4 isn't worth that much to hold onto. Honestly, again I think I'd sell off the cpu with the mobo/ram/case, etc. and look toward cheap Socket A or if possible, better yet,Socket 754. I'd probably only think of keeping that cpu if I was going to keep it real cheap and just buy a used mobo that could use your existing Ram, case, PS, etc. Tough call as I see both sides. Not argueing with you, just giving an opinion from the outside.

February 16, 2005 3:14:59 AM

I think U R right guys...The P4 is not worth...specially after reading your kids stories...will go the A 64 route.
!