Will This CPU Improve My Gaming Performance?????

currently im using 2.26 ghz celeron d (prescott) my friend is gonna give me his P4 2.26 Ghz Northwood will this processor give me alot better gaming performance? also im running a GF 6600GT AGP , one last thing will the intel fan that came with the celeron be enough to cool the northwood? thanks guys
16 answers Last reply
More about will improve gaming performance
  1. Yes - you will see a nice performace boost.

Don't know about the fan though. Try it, and make sure your temps don't get too high with heavy load (60c Max)

4. It should be faster, but not by much. Prescott celerons arent as horrible as Northwood Celerons, they are just poor /mediocre performers so, don't expect quantum leaps, but a guestimated 10-20% boost should be there. As for running cooler, I'm not certain, but neither CPU should give you any headaches unless you really have a subpar cooling solution.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
  5. are you sure about that? its only an older northwood core. hell.

-------
    <A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
  6. The old P4 celerons were crap. The new celeronDs are not. You will be lucky if you see 1 additional frame, in games where you are getting 50 now. The only real difference is in the amount of cache. Truth is, if that is a celeron D, it can probably OC as well or better than your friend's p4b.
  7. I agree. The new Celeron D's are not bad performers especially when OC. Couple them with a good GC and you can play any current game with good detail settings.

I have a Prescott Cel 2.4Ghz - 320D ($99 Aus) and have OC it to 3019Mhz easily with stock cooling (50'C) and leaving Vcore at default. I hav'nt even tried to OC higher as not needed, but in Intel specs it can be OC to 3765Mhz, and I have knowlegde of the 2.4Ghz D being OC to 3600Mhz.

But what the hell, if money is no problem, buy a P4 3.4/6 and no need to OC.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>
  8. Quote:
    But what the hell, if money is no problem, buy a P4 3.4/6 and no need to OC.

All you need to do then is get mozz over to do the renovation.
  9. I don't think you'll feel the performance difference.

------------
    <font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>
  10. oh i missed where he typed celeron. Yea I supposed you could possibly have a point (maybe) :tongue:

-------
    <A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
  11. Run the water-cooling tubing thru the walls, into the freezer and voila - all the cooling you could want.

**ROFL** Or just run a clean water source straight from a pipe and let the used water go down the drain. You don't get below freezing temps (though sometimes that's a good thing), but you do get water that's impossible to heat up.

<pre>Antec Sonata 2x120mm
    P4C 2.6
    Asus P4P800Dlx
    2x512MB CorsairXMS3200C2
    Leadtek A6600GT TDH
    RAID1 2xHitachi 60GB
    BENQ 16X DVD+/-RW
    Altec Lansing 251
    NEC FE990 19"CRT</pre><p>
  13. That would be murder on the water bill...

Mozz - how about an update on the mineral spirits instead of water project.

Read More

CPUs Performance Celeron Gaming