How to host and play with 2 users behind the same router

Last response: in Video Games
Share
November 25, 2004 4:41:05 AM

This is a follow up to a prior post. I have two computers on a home
network, mine and my sons. A DSL modem that connects to a Linksys BEFSR41
router. I have not forwarded ports or anything else on the router. We can
currently connect to the MS game Zone with both computer and play in the same
game room that is hosted by someone else (either on the same team or against
each other). I can host TeamSpeak and my son can connect and talk with me.

What we can't do is for me to host a game and for him to join and play. He
can get into the room I am hosting but when I launch the game (MechWarrior4
Mercenaries), I get into the game but he gets sent back to the game room
lobby.

My question is: How do I set up this router so I can host a game in the MS
Game Zone and my son can join and play. Please note we are connected through
the same router. I have heard that I may be able to use DXport to open ports
2312 thru 2321 on PC#1 and use DXport to open ports 2322 thru 2331 on PC#2.
Then I have to setup "Port Forwarding" for each PC like this: 47624 &
2312-2321 to PC#1 and 2322-2331 to PC#2. This is what I am not sure about.
How do I "Port Forward these ports and will this work for what I want to do?

Also, I have a dynamic IP address. Will this work with a dynamic IP
address? If not is there a way that I can change the dymanic IP address into
a Static IP Address?

Thanks for the help. I really think I'm getting close to solving this
problem and need just a little more expert advice. Mack

--
Mack

More about : host play users router

Anonymous
November 25, 2004 1:24:34 PM

Mack wrote:

> This is a follow up to a prior post. I have two computers on a home
> network, mine and my sons. A DSL modem that connects to a Linksys BEFSR41
> router. I have not forwarded ports or anything else on the router. We can
> currently connect to the MS game Zone with both computer and play in the same
> game room that is hosted by someone else (either on the same team or against
> each other). I can host TeamSpeak and my son can connect and talk with me.
>
> What we can't do is for me to host a game and for him to join and play. He
> can get into the room I am hosting but when I launch the game (MechWarrior4
> Mercenaries), I get into the game but he gets sent back to the game room
> lobby.
>
> My question is: How do I set up this router so I can host a game in the MS
> Game Zone and my son can join and play. Please note we are connected through
> the same router. I have heard that I may be able to use DXport to open ports
> 2312 thru 2321 on PC#1 and use DXport to open ports 2322 thru 2331 on PC#2.
> Then I have to setup "Port Forwarding" for each PC like this: 47624 &
> 2312-2321 to PC#1 and 2322-2331 to PC#2. This is what I am not sure about.
> How do I "Port Forward these ports and will this work for what I want to do?
>
> Also, I have a dynamic IP address. Will this work with a dynamic IP
> address? If not is there a way that I can change the dymanic IP address into
> a Static IP Address?
>
> Thanks for the help. I really think I'm getting close to solving this
> problem and need just a little more expert advice. Mack
>
> --
> Mack

Here's a Google Groups search on the subject. You can change the
parameters and possibly get more specific results. Click the "View
Thread" link to see the complete correspondence, then click "Back"
button to continue the search.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Linksys+BEFSR41+Port+...

Also look at these sites:

Setting up A Linksys Router ZoneSysops.com Central
http://www.zonesysops.com/modules.php?name=News&file=ar...

Troubleshooter
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoo...

--