Installing Win7: Unable to locate system partition

ensis15

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
I recently put together my first build and am currently trying to install Windows 7 onto it.

My school offers Windows OS for free so I downloaded a .iso file of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit onto a USB drive.

It starts up just fine, leads me to install Windows, agree to terms, but when I go to set up the drive it gives me the message, "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information."

I have no idea what is going on or what I can do about this.

I would really appreciate any ideas you could put forward to help me figure it out. Thanks.

ensis15

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
I have tried going and creating/deleting partitions, but it doesn't help and I get the same problem.

How would I know what to do if there's something wrong with my hard drive? Any suggestions as to how I could fix any problem?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
first this is a sata drive and need to be connect to the first sata port on the board after did the install aks you to format the drive to be prepare for the os and check that is not a upgrage of win 7 also even it the os was given by the school you will need a serial number to have it work.

JeremyRamsey

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Someone said this in another forum post, I can't remember who, but go into the bios and make sure it's set to IDE and not AHCI for the hard drive.

A drive with 0 unallocated space sounds like it might only be seeing the USB drive you are installing from.

SCUZNUTS

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Make sure the HDD is the first boot device,
Mash the boot key to select the USB at start up,

Try install W7 again,

If still failing press shift+F10 - Should bring up CMD
Use diskpart to format your HDD manually and try install W7 again.

Still failing, use Ubuntu live disk to format HDD and try install W7 again.

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Ok. Make sure that the HDD is connected to the SATA3_0 port (Grey). Then, on the PC your using to post here, download the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver (support for ACHI) from here. (http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H77M/?cat=Download&os=Win764), unzip it on the USB stick in a seperate directory (i.e RST). Boot the PC and go into the BIOS and put the SATA controller back on ACHI and reboot to Windows setup. When it asks for the drive that you would like, in the bottom left, click Load Driver. Find the RST driver in the RST directory and install it. Once completed, see if you can select the drive then.

ensis15

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
I ended up finally finding a DVD-R to load the OS onto and downloaded the drivers for my motherboard and it finally got itself up and running.

Thanks for all of your help, guys.