Sign in with
Your question

CPU upgrade for OC and Folding

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
February 17, 2005 3:43:23 PM

I'm getting restless to build my new system - still collecting money for that upgrade. I want to start doing some OCing. I'm thinking about upgrading my current system to practice with before getting the A64. Gotta improve my Folding! :smile:

Current setup:
Soyo SY-K7V Dragon Plus (VIA KT266A chipset)
Athlon XP 1500+ (Palomino)
256MB Crucial PC2100 CL2.5 and 256MB Generic CL3
GF2 GTS
Seagate 7200RPM, 40GB, 2MB cache
CDRW and FDD

Candidates for upgrade:
1. <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti..." target="_new">Athlon M 2500+</A> for $87
2. <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti..." target="_new">Athlon M 2400+</A> for $95
3. <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti..." target="_new">Athlon M 2600+</A> for $95

Some questions about these CPUs:
1. Why is the 2400+ more expensive than the 2500+ and as expensive as the 2600+?!
2. What's the difference in the core colors? - I read something about the colors before, but can't remember
right now.
3. Which has the best stable OC potential?
4. Will my current setup work for some OC? If yes, then what is a reasonable OC expectation?
5. Will the Barton core work with my mobo? Soyo <A HREF="http://www.soyogroup.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=16" target="_new">website</A> says that the mobo only supports Thunderbird, Pally and Duron. If I can use it, would I need to change any BIOS settings to get it to run?

Without getting any new RAM, I'm thinking this may be a waste of money :frown: ...thoughts?

More about : cpu upgrade folding

February 17, 2005 9:01:24 PM

Quote:
1. Why is the 2400+ more expensive than the 2500+ and as expensive as the 2600+?!

Simple answer : volume, offfer/demand...

Quote:
2. What's the difference in the core colors? - I read something about the colors before, but can't remember right now.

Not important for Mobile Athlon XP.

Quote:
3. Which has the best stable OC potential?

Mobile Athlon XP 2600+ are the BEST Barton core you can buy. Period!

Quote:
4. Will my current setup work for some OC? If yes, then what is a reasonable OC expectation?

Yes and no... You chipset/mobo will probably limit yourself, if you want to spend on an nForce2 based MB, you would expect tu run the Mobile XP at 2.4GHz and higher quite easily... But with a VIA KT266 chipset... It will be tough!

-
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>Athlon XP 1800+</font color=green> o/c to <font color=green>Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green>
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290 <- <i>It's enough for WoW!</i>
a b à CPUs
February 18, 2005 4:44:55 AM

Thanks for the info. Looks like it isn't worth the money for me...just save some more for the A64.

The "training" upgrade for this one will have to be after the new build! :evil: 

February 19, 2005 1:49:53 PM

Do you have clickies to reviews? Want to see which has the most stability/overclockability.

February 19, 2005 7:39:08 PM

Youve got to watch Wusy, he works for EPOX :wink:

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"
a b à CPUs
February 20, 2005 2:25:31 AM

:smile: With the boards they make, he may have the right idea!