Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Damn....playfiled GLASS question...replacement..

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 4:59:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I try to be careful, I try to be gentle, but for some reason, my
playfiled glass decided to crack. I don;t know if it was the movers
who moved it, or myself when I moved it to my top level of my house,
or if it was because I left the stell ball inside....

I think it was the ball. DAMN!! Live and learn I guess. I was lucky
that the glass just crack, and not shatter.

When I took a close look, the glass actually has 2 layers to it.

So...when I go get a replacement glass for it, should I ask for 2
layers or tempered 1 layer??
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 4:59:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Tempered only.

Lee
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 4:59:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Yeah...sounds like safety glass. I have always replaced my pins with
brand new glass when shopping them. I have to be honest, I use regular
glass, not tempered when shopping them. I have never had a piece
crack...plus its cheaper than the tempered. The glass guy I deal with
told me there is no difference in glass strength with regular and
tempered. He said the tempered is simply heated diffferently when made
so it is designed to break into smaller pieces. I can see the
effectiveness with that in a vehicle pending an accident you wouldn't
want sharp pieces flying towards your face and eyes, but not with pin.
I would think regular glass would be much easier to clean up, although
perhaps more sharp....than a million pieces of small tempered
pieces....I can attest to this when my back Tahoe window broke
out...there are still pieces that got down in the hatch that
rattle....drives me crazy...imagine how those pieces would get into the
cracks of playfield...I would go with regular glass...if it would break
you just have to use some caution when cleaning up. Plus is very
unlikely that if the glass does break while playing the game that the
glass is going to fly in the air and injure someone..more likely it
will just either crack, shatter, or just put a divit in glass. Just my
opinion.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 4:59:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

The correct glass for the game is tempered.

There should be no cracks!

--
Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
******************



<ArcadeNO@SPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message news:D t8ci1dfa8ipb7sjgppklm0pg4uuk5s86k@4ax.com...
> I try to be careful, I try to be gentle, but for some reason, my
> playfiled glass decided to crack. I don;t know if it was the movers
> who moved it, or myself when I moved it to my top level of my house,
> or if it was because I left the stell ball inside....
>
> I think it was the ball. DAMN!! Live and learn I guess. I was lucky
> that the glass just crack, and not shatter.
>
> When I took a close look, the glass actually has 2 layers to it.
>
> So...when I go get a replacement glass for it, should I ask for 2
> layers or tempered 1 layer??
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 4:59:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Oh look, a pair of dopes!
Yea sure when you lean down on a peice of plate glass, crack
it, and it cuts your hand like swiss cheese, i think you'll
have a different opinion.

Tempered glass is installed in games since the late 1960s
FOR A REASON. Convenience in clean-up was not one of them.
You don't like picking up lots of harmless glass chickletts
because your lazy? DARWIN is my friend! Please don't reproduce
guys, we have enough lazy dumbasses in the world.

Not to mention the damage a big shard of glass does to
a playfield.

Safety glass is two pieces of glass with a plastic sheet
between them. it's for car windshields. tempered glass breaks
into a zillion small tiny chickletts for safety reason. Nothing
more than a full vacuum and no cuts. Tempered is what you
want for a pinball machine, nothing else. I buy tempered glass for
$15 a sheet. I suspect even in the backwards nation of canada
you can buy it there for about the same. Spend the rest of your
money on a vacuum.

And the glass guy that told you tempered is not stronger than
plate glass is also a dumbass. because tempered glass is
about 10 times stronger than plate when taking a front force
(edge force is tempered's weakness). Perhaps you should all
go out for a Labatts and see if you can tip over a pop machine
for a freebie.

ArcadeNO@SPAMshaw.ca wrote:
> Yups..
>
> The last thing I want is my glass to shatter into a million small
> peices. I would rather have long peices to pick out of the game....say
> 15 or 20 sharp long peices than deal with shopping the entire pinball,
> removeing all the peices off the playfield....would be a nightmare.
>
> Thnaks all...
>
>
> On 12 Sep 2005 19:28:36 -0700, "Roadrunner000" <Roadrunner000@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Yeah...sounds like safety glass. I have always replaced my pins with
> >brand new glass when shopping them. I have to be honest, I use regular
> >glass, not tempered when shopping them. I have never had a piece
> >crack...plus its cheaper than the tempered. The glass guy I deal with
> >told me there is no difference in glass strength with regular and
> >tempered. He said the tempered is simply heated diffferently when made
> >so it is designed to break into smaller pieces. I can see the
> >effectiveness with that in a vehicle pending an accident you wouldn't
> >want sharp pieces flying towards your face and eyes, but not with pin.
> >I would think regular glass would be much easier to clean up, although
> >perhaps more sharp....than a million pieces of small tempered
> >pieces....I can attest to this when my back Tahoe window broke
> >out...there are still pieces that got down in the hatch that
> >rattle....drives me crazy...imagine how those pieces would get into the
> >cracks of playfield...I would go with regular glass...if it would break
> >you just have to use some caution when cleaning up. Plus is very
> >unlikely that if the glass does break while playing the game that the
> >glass is going to fly in the air and injure someone..more likely it
> >will just either crack, shatter, or just put a divit in glass. Just my
> >opinion.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 4:59:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Best substitute: nothing.

It's free and never breaks. Plus, you can hear the pop bumpers
better...

df
September 13, 2005 4:59:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

LOL!! Man you're really getting your mileage out of these glass posts
Clay...

nomad
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 4:59:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I resent your lazy comment dumbass. I suspect your probably fat and
overweight, but feel the need to push off your guilt by criticizing
others with your rude comments. I offered an opinion only.
Constructive criticism is always welcome, but not your rude comments
Idiots like you are certainly welcome to spend time with your shop vac
or whatever vacume you find useful for fullfiling your other sexual
needs to waste time vacuming up thousands of pieces of tempered glass.
I could care less. Preventing wasted time in cleanup is a smart
thing..not being lazy. Unlike you, I have better things to do with my
time. I suspect you eat the chicklets of glass instead of actually
throwing them away. When I'm done tipping over the vending machine I
will send the beer to wash down all those chicklets you enjoy eating.
I'm no glass expert, but the guy who told me about the glass has been
in the business for over 40 years so I will take his advice over yours.
Plus he gives me BIG discount! I guess that means I'm not only lazy,
but cheap too huh?
September 13, 2005 4:59:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Roadrunner000 wrote:
> I resent your lazy comment dumbass. I suspect your probably fat and
> overweight, but feel the need to push off your guilt by criticizing
> others with your rude comments. I offered an opinion only.
> Constructive criticism is always welcome, but not your rude comments
> Idiots like you are certainly welcome to spend time with your shop vac
> or whatever vacume you find useful for fullfiling your other sexual
> needs to waste time vacuming up thousands of pieces of tempered glass.
> I could care less. Preventing wasted time in cleanup is a smart
> thing..not being lazy. Unlike you, I have better things to do with my
> time. I suspect you eat the chicklets of glass instead of actually
> throwing them away. When I'm done tipping over the vending machine I
> will send the beer to wash down all those chicklets you enjoy eating.
> I'm no glass expert, but the guy who told me about the glass has been
> in the business for over 40 years so I will take his advice over yours.
> Plus he gives me BIG discount! I guess that means I'm not only lazy,
> but cheap too huh?

Wow! What a cheap ass...

I'll see you in hell sir, Karl.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 4:59:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

lmao!
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 5:10:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Im pretty sure that would be safety glass. 2 sheets of glass with
plastic in-between to hold all the bits together if it breaks.
Dont think its tempered, but dont know for sure...
/Tim

ArcadeNO@SPAMshaw.ca wrote:
> I try to be careful, I try to be gentle, but for some reason, my
> playfiled glass decided to crack. I don;t know if it was the movers
> who moved it, or myself when I moved it to my top level of my house,
> or if it was because I left the stell ball inside....
>
> I think it was the ball. DAMN!! Live and learn I guess. I was lucky
> that the glass just crack, and not shatter.
>
> When I took a close look, the glass actually has 2 layers to it.
>
> So...when I go get a replacement glass for it, should I ask for 2
> layers or tempered 1 layer??
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 6:50:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Yups..

The last thing I want is my glass to shatter into a million small
peices. I would rather have long peices to pick out of the game....say
15 or 20 sharp long peices than deal with shopping the entire pinball,
removeing all the peices off the playfield....would be a nightmare.

Thnaks all...


On 12 Sep 2005 19:28:36 -0700, "Roadrunner000" <Roadrunner000@msn.com>
wrote:

>Yeah...sounds like safety glass. I have always replaced my pins with
>brand new glass when shopping them. I have to be honest, I use regular
>glass, not tempered when shopping them. I have never had a piece
>crack...plus its cheaper than the tempered. The glass guy I deal with
>told me there is no difference in glass strength with regular and
>tempered. He said the tempered is simply heated diffferently when made
>so it is designed to break into smaller pieces. I can see the
>effectiveness with that in a vehicle pending an accident you wouldn't
>want sharp pieces flying towards your face and eyes, but not with pin.
>I would think regular glass would be much easier to clean up, although
>perhaps more sharp....than a million pieces of small tempered
>pieces....I can attest to this when my back Tahoe window broke
>out...there are still pieces that got down in the hatch that
>rattle....drives me crazy...imagine how those pieces would get into the
>cracks of playfield...I would go with regular glass...if it would break
>you just have to use some caution when cleaning up. Plus is very
>unlikely that if the glass does break while playing the game that the
>glass is going to fly in the air and injure someone..more likely it
>will just either crack, shatter, or just put a divit in glass. Just my
>opinion.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 6:50:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Long sharp pieces cut and peel your playfield a lot worse than all those
tiny pieces. LTG :) 

<ArcadeNO@SPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
news:o hfci19d43e9fu9veju0a50rva16n8964m@4ax.com...
> Yups..
>
> The last thing I want is my glass to shatter into a million small
> peices. I would rather have long peices to pick out of the game....say
> 15 or 20 sharp long peices than deal with shopping the entire pinball,
> removeing all the peices off the playfield....would be a nightmare.
>
> Thnaks all...
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 6:50:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

They cut and peel people rather well, too!

YIKES!! =O

--
Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
******************

"Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote

> Long sharp pieces cut and peel your playfield a lot worse than all those
> tiny pieces. LTG :) 
>
> <ArcadeNO@SPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
> news:o hfci19d43e9fu9veju0a50rva16n8964m@4ax.com...
> > Yups..
> >
> > The last thing I want is my glass to shatter into a million small
> > peices. I would rather have long peices to pick out of the game....say
> > 15 or 20 sharp long peices than deal with shopping the entire pinball,
> > removeing all the peices off the playfield....would be a nightmare.
> >
> > Thnaks all...
>
>
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 8:14:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

How many glasses have you actually broken that you had to pic up the
pieces out of the machine? Does it happen to you often enough to
warrant the loss of the extra 15 minutes with a shop vac to clean up?

You do what you want, "hopefully" someone won't buy one of your
machines, have their kid cut their arm off with the wrong glass, and
then the lawyer puts up a witness to attest to WHY tempered was
switched to and all you have is a 40 year glass guy to rebut.

Preventing wasted time in cleanup is smart? How many glasses are you
breaking? Like I said, do what you want, glass guys could be wrong for
40 years too. Major manufacturer's would NOT make such a move, they
were cheaper than anybody, if it was not warranted.

You're right, you are no glass expert, and you've been listening to the
wrong one for this application. You're actually not lazy, you're being
cheap above all else.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 8:35:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I love these people that think plate glass is a good thing
because it doesn't break into lots of little harmless pieces.
it gives me a good forum to vent and makes them look, well, dumb.
Yes you are LAZY and obviously not too bright if you think
plate glass is the proper thing for a pinball machine. Proper
spelling is "vacuum" by the way. Not that i'm a good speller,
but it just shows something about your post.

It takes maybe 10 minutes to vacuum tempered glass.
It takes ALL FREAKIN DAY at the local emergency room while
they remove a big shard of glass from your dumb ass and
sew you back up! DUH. So you can spend you time "better"
cleaning up BLOOD instead of glass.

If you are careful, tempered glass should never break.
it is edge sensitive, so setting it on edge on a concrete
floor is dangerous. Use a piece of carpet or a towel.
also warm hands on very cold glass can cause tempered
to break.

I can STAND or SIT on a tempered pinball glass without
breakage. I can LEAN on plate glass and break that into
huge dangerous cutting flesh bloody SHARDS of glass.
But hey if you like YOUR BLOOD all over everything,
and think it's easier to clean up FLESH and blood than
little pieces of harmless glass, well it shows how
smart you really are.

I'm about 20 pounds overweight by the way. Not bad, and
i am working on that. i was 30 pounds over, but i'm lost
a bit.

Roadrunner000 wrote:
> I resent your lazy comment dumbass. I suspect your probably fat and
> overweight, but feel the need to push off your guilt by criticizing
> others with your rude comments. I offered an opinion only.
> Constructive criticism is always welcome, but not your rude comments
> Idiots like you are certainly welcome to spend time with your shop vac
> or whatever vacume you find useful for fullfiling your other sexual
> needs to waste time vacuming up thousands of pieces of tempered glass.
> I could care less. Preventing wasted time in cleanup is a smart
> thing..not being lazy. Unlike you, I have better things to do with my
> time. I suspect you eat the chicklets of glass instead of actually
> throwing them away. When I'm done tipping over the vending machine I
> will send the beer to wash down all those chicklets you enjoy eating.
> I'm no glass expert, but the guy who told me about the glass has been
> in the business for over 40 years so I will take his advice over yours.
> Plus he gives me BIG discount! I guess that means I'm not only lazy,
> but cheap too huh?
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 8:46:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Oh yea, here's some info for your dumbass canadian glass man.
since he seems to be a blithering idiot about glass.
Tempered glass is SIX TIMES the strength of plate glass.
Below is how it actually works. Apparently reading for
canadian glass men who have been "in the business for
40 years", is purely optional.

----
Toughened glass (aka tempered glass) is made from annealed
glass via a thermal tempering process. The glass is cut to
the required size and any required processing (such as
polishing the edges or drilling holes in the glass)
is carried out before the toughening process starts.

The glass is placed onto a roller table, taking it through
a furnace which heats it to above its annealing point of
600 °C. The glass is then rapidly cooled with forced draughts
of air. This rapidly cools the glass surface below its
annealing point, causing it to harden and contract, while
the inner portion of the glass remains free to flow for a
short time. The final contraction of the inner layer
induces compressive stresses in the surface of the glass
balanced by tensile stresses in the body of the glass.
The pattern of cooling can be revealed by observing the
glass with polarized light.

Toughened glass is typically 6 times (six times) the
strength of annealed glass. This is because any surface
flaws tend to be pressed closed by the retained compressive
forces, while the core layer remains relatively free of
the defects which could cause a crack to begin.

However, this strength comes with a penalty. Due to the
balanced stresses in the glass, any damage to the glass
edges will result in the glass shattering into thumbnail
sized pieces. This is why the glass must be cut to size
before toughening and cannot be re-worked once toughened.
Also, ironically, the toughened glass surface is not as
hard as annealed glass and is more susceptible to scratching.

Toughened glass is typically used in unframed assemblies
such as frameless doors and in structurally loaded applications.

Toughened glass is considered a safety glass due to its
increased strength and its tendency to shatter in small,
rounded pieces which are less likely to cause injury.
--------------------------

c...@provide.net wrote:
> I love these people that think plate glass is a good thing
> because it doesn't break into lots of little harmless pieces.
> it gives me a good forum to vent and makes them look, well, dumb.
> Yes you are LAZY and obviously not too bright if you think
> plate glass is the proper thing for a pinball machine. Proper
> spelling is "vacuum" by the way. Not that i'm a good speller,
> but it just shows something about your post.
>
> It takes maybe 10 minutes to vacuum tempered glass.
> It takes ALL FREAKIN DAY at the local emergency room while
> they remove a big shard of glass from your dumb ass and
> sew you back up! DUH. So you can spend you time "better"
> cleaning up BLOOD instead of glass.
>
> If you are careful, tempered glass should never break.
> it is edge sensitive, so setting it on edge on a concrete
> floor is dangerous. Use a piece of carpet or a towel.
> also warm hands on very cold glass can cause tempered
> to break.
>
> I can STAND or SIT on a tempered pinball glass without
> breakage. I can LEAN on plate glass and break that into
> huge dangerous cutting flesh bloody SHARDS of glass.
> But hey if you like YOUR BLOOD all over everything,
> and think it's easier to clean up FLESH and blood than
> little pieces of harmless glass, well it shows how
> smart you really are.
>
> I'm about 20 pounds overweight by the way. Not bad, and
> i am working on that. i was 30 pounds over, but i'm lost
> a bit.
>
> Roadrunner000 wrote:
> > I resent your lazy comment dumbass. I suspect your probably fat and
> > overweight, but feel the need to push off your guilt by criticizing
> > others with your rude comments. I offered an opinion only.
> > Constructive criticism is always welcome, but not your rude comments
> > Idiots like you are certainly welcome to spend time with your shop vac
> > or whatever vacume you find useful for fullfiling your other sexual
> > needs to waste time vacuming up thousands of pieces of tempered glass.
> > I could care less. Preventing wasted time in cleanup is a smart
> > thing..not being lazy. Unlike you, I have better things to do with my
> > time. I suspect you eat the chicklets of glass instead of actually
> > throwing them away. When I'm done tipping over the vending machine I
> > will send the beer to wash down all those chicklets you enjoy eating.
> > I'm no glass expert, but the guy who told me about the glass has been
> > in the business for over 40 years so I will take his advice over yours.
> > Plus he gives me BIG discount! I guess that means I'm not only lazy,
> > but cheap too huh?
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 9:15:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

-Best substitute: nothing.
-It's free and never breaks. Plus, you can hear the pop bumpers
-better...

You can make sure that the kickback is always lit this way too.

Actually I have played with the glass of before, the ball jumped out of
the playfield instead of whacking the glass and hit my nuts. Adds an
element of danger to an otherwise safe pastime.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 9:58:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

One footnote to this: I read of one fellow
some time back, playing his game with the
playfield glass removed. Everything was fun
untill an airball jumped up an broke the backglass!!!

It wasn't just a plain, clear one either.

(Just the same as taking one in the nads!)

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
=============
seymour-shabow@excite.com wrote:

>
> You can make sure that the kickback is always lit this way too.
>
> Actually I have played with the glass of before, the ball jumped out of
> the playfield instead of whacking the glass and hit my nuts. Adds an
> element of danger to an otherwise safe pastime.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 10:34:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

On 2005-09-12 19:50:49 -0700, "ArcadeNO@SPAMshaw.ca"
<ArcadeNO@SPAMshaw.ca> said:

> Yups..
>
> The last thing I want is my glass to shatter into a million small
> peices. I would rather have long peices to pick out of the game....say
> 15 or 20 sharp long peices than deal with shopping the entire pinball,
> removeing all the peices off the playfield....would be a nightmare.
>
> Thnaks all...
>
>
> On 12 Sep 2005 19:28:36 -0700, "Roadrunner000" <Roadrunner000@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Yeah...sounds like safety glass. I have always replaced my pins with
>> brand new glass when shopping them. I have to be honest, I use regular
>> glass, not tempered when shopping them. I have never had a piece
>> crack...plus its cheaper than the tempered. The glass guy I deal with
>> told me there is no difference in glass strength with regular and
>> tempered. He said the tempered is simply heated diffferently when made
>> so it is designed to break into smaller pieces. I can see the
>> effectiveness with that in a vehicle pending an accident you wouldn't
>> want sharp pieces flying towards your face and eyes, but not with pin.
>> I would think regular glass would be much easier to clean up, although
>> perhaps more sharp....than a million pieces of small tempered
>> pieces....I can attest to this when my back Tahoe window broke
>> out...there are still pieces that got down in the hatch that
>> rattle....drives me crazy...imagine how those pieces would get into the
>> cracks of playfield...I would go with regular glass...if it would break
>> you just have to use some caution when cleaning up. Plus is very
>> unlikely that if the glass does break while playing the game that the
>> glass is going to fly in the air and injure someone..more likely it
>> will just either crack, shatter, or just put a divit in glass. Just my
>> opinion.

Liability issues aside, plate glass is just way too dangerous for
pinball games. Please reconsider and use either safety glass or
tempered. A shop vac will deal with a broken sheet of tempered in very
short order.

I have seen people SITTING on playfields (scarry thought!) and would
never attempt it even on tempered, but if they are sitting on a plate
glass they could be very seriously injured if it broke! It is certainly
at least six times weaker than tempered according to a number of web
sites including:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass#Toughened_glass

Also, in our shop where we handle over 100 pins a year, the last
tempered glass was broken about ten years ago...

John :-#)#
--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call
(604)872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com "Old pinballers never die, they
just flip out."
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 10:45:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I have a glass I purchased at the Pin A Go Go, which I ended up not
using. You are welcome to have it, free, if you happen to live close
enough to me to pick it up. I live in Tarzana, CA .
Bob
September 13, 2005 12:04:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I keep two large sheets of paper towels inside my cabinet and use that
to hold the glass when I slide it out. This was to prevent putting
finger prints on the under side of the glass. However, it seems to me
that this also has the benefit of making sure my hands don't introduce
a thermal shock.

I will certainly continue to do that from now on, based on Clay's
words.

BTW, I enjoyed TOP3, still watching TOP4.

Edward Cheung
September 13, 2005 12:12:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

>I keep two large sheets of paper towels inside my cabinet
>and use that to hold the glass when I slide it out.

I keep two fluffy terry towels near my machines for grabbing and
lifting glass. I hate fingerprints on the inside of the glass. The
terry towels insulate the edges of the glass from my hands. After
having a PF glass explode in my hands and rain down onto my bare feet,
I am very carefull now. I am also glad that it was tempered glass. I
was able to walk barefoot across the million pieces of broken glass
with no injuries at all.

Anyone who recommends anything other than tempered glass is an idiot.
I even go so far as to get the watermark on my new glass just to leave
no questions.

John
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 2:41:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

>>From: c...@provide.net
>>Oh yea, here's some info for your dumbass canadian glass man.

You want to take it easy on the stupid Canadian comments, it's uncalled
for. As a tempered glass using Canadian pinball owner I can agree that
using plate glass is a stupid idea. But you look just as stupid as he
does by thinking that the fact he is a Canadian has anything to do with
is stupidity.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 6:36:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Adam Becker wrote:
> >>From: c...@provide.net
> >>Oh yea, here's some info for your dumbass canadian glass man.
>
> You want to take it easy on the stupid Canadian comments, it's uncalled
> for. As a tempered glass using Canadian pinball owner I can agree that
> using plate glass is a stupid idea.
I once saw a post pointing out that picking up a few glass shards off a
playfield from a glass that was not tempered beat the heck out of
having to pick up thousands of little fragments off the playfield from
breakage of a tempered glass. The fellow who posted that had a point
but I assume the benefit to tempered glass is that it would prevent
injury to anyone who is removing the glass, and I can't argue with
that... especially since I once had an Arrowhead bottle explode when
they were glass and the pieces cut my throat wide open (as well as
inflicting other major injuries). If my wife wasn't an R.N. I would
not be around to tell the tale. Tempered glass for me is the only way
to go.
Bob
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 6:43:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

In a similar thread (maybe this one, I didn't read it all) someone
posted this:
I'd rather pick up 1000 little pieces of glass than 1 thumb.
I loved that quote.
September 13, 2005 11:34:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

In the "Lost in the Zone" CD in the "This Old Pinball" series with Norm
and Shaggy, Shaggy shows how he can afford to buy lots of pins simply
by using the "diamonds" that he keeps in a bucket. The diamonds, of
course, are tempered glass nuggets that he handles easily with his
hands. Those nuggets won't harm the pf on your nice old EM if the
glass breaks, but what could a sharp shard of regular/safety glass do
to it?

I must say, though, Shaggy's nuggets were just plain clear glass. Try
dropping the backglass on a NGG: you get a festive holiday bucket of
pretty multicolored tiny nuggets. $150.00 worth of stinking nuggets.

Al
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 1:00:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Get a life....you take this too serious....you need therapy. By the
way you can get cut with tempered glass too..it also leaves those tiny
bits of glass that can get wedged into you skin. Hey if you've been
cut by glass...buy tempered...its really no big deal. Some of you
people need to take a chill pill. You act like if someone goes the
opposite way of your opininon then they are idiots or crazy. I said
all along its an opininion. Would tempered be safer....sure...but its
each individuals choice.....good luck losing the next 20lbs. You can
follow with some plastic surgury to repair the stretch marks you'll
have.
By the way I'm not Canadian, although I play and love Hockey. I
guess being in Law Enforcement I'm not as worried about some glass
slicing me as I am getting shot at...If the only highlight of your day
is worring about get cut with your pinball while you shop it
out....then do what you need to in your life of excitement....LOL
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 12:00:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Hey glassman,

Where does the shag source $15 Tempered Playfield Sheets?
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 5:13:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

> guess being in Law Enforcement I'm not as worried about some glass
> slicing me as I am getting shot at...If the only highlight of your day
> is worring about get cut with your pinball while you shop it
> out....then do what you need to in your life of excitement....LOL

You will be singing a different tune, when your neighbor (or neighbors
kid) breaks the glass, gets cut to hell and files a lawsuit. Good
thing you already know the judges!
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 11:20:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Barry - NY (Backglass@gmail.com) wrote:
> > guess being in Law Enforcement I'm not as worried about some glass
> > slicing me as I am getting shot at...If the only highlight of your day
> > is worring about get cut with your pinball while you shop it
> > out....then do what you need to in your life of excitement....LOL
>
> You will be singing a different tune, when your neighbor (or neighbors
> kid) breaks the glass, gets cut to hell and files a lawsuit. Good
> thing you already know the judges!

I'll take that case... the one on behalf of the kid, I mean. :-)
Remember, I have a glass to give away that I got at the Pin A Go Go,
which I assume is tempered... if anyone is interested and lives near
enough to drop over to my house in Tarzana, CA (and if you don't know
where that is you don't live close).
Bob
!