Jun 7, 2003
I have a new system since last sunday.
It's
p4 3.0 (LGA775) with the fan from the box
Aopen H600 350W
Gigabyte 8I915P-Duo MB
512x2 Corsair Value DDR 400
Leadtek 6600 GT

When I first started the sytem the temp of the cpu was over 92 C. (The voltage was 1.245V I think.
So I've decreased the CPU voltage to 1.1V. Now in the bios I get vcore fail but the system works. The temp is 62-68 C
Is it normal form these type of CPUS
thank you

Xrock

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
92 C is almost cooking your CPU. I have 2.8 OC to 3.2 and my idle is 45C and load is 55C.
Maybe you should check your heatsink and fan. Make sure it has thermal compound and it is seated in the correct position.

<font color=red> Live long, Live to the fullest and be Bless </font color=red> :wink:
<font color=blue> ____________</font color=blue>
Aspire X-Alien / Antec SX1040B
P4 2.8B OC to 3.2 / AXP 1.67 OC to 1.9
Abit IC7 / Abit KR7A

kataliz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
I can't move the heatsink and fan. It seems to be well seated but I'm not sure. The termal compound was a little bit damaged while I was trying to mount the heatsink and fan.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
shut the system down NOW!!!!!! YOU have a major probem If you havent already damaged the cpu you are going to.

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

kataliz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
All the fans in the case seems working. THE PSU's fan also is working but in the bios it seems not working I don't know why.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Bud, something is really wrong. First of all you shoudnt have to lower your voltage under what it is made to run at. Secondly, the 68C your getting is still way to high. The fans in your case will definetly have an impact, but not one so big that it will either solve or create this problem. My first cut at this is to say that you do not have a properly seated Heatsink. The other thing that I am wondering is about the damaged thermal material. Could you go into more detail as to what you mean by that. Also we need to know more about your system specs and also are you using the stock heatsink or something else?

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

kataliz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Ok I'm not sure also about the heatsink and fan.
I use the one which came with the box. I think I have to hear a click whenever I try to mount the heatsink and fan. I didn't hear that. The fan rotates always at 2500-2600 RPM.
The thermal material has lost it's rectangular shape a little bit. What do you want to know more about my system specs.
Thank you for helping by the way

kataliz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
Got this onw from newegg for Spire CoolWave II P4 Prescott LGA775 cooler:

Got this running on a P4 550 (3.4) clocked to 3.8ghz. Idle temp is 39c, loaded is 53c with Arctic Silver 5. WOW! It totally BLOWS AWAY the stock cooler which gets hotter than 70c! It is a little louder, not too bad, but it's not quiet either. And it's super cheap for how well it performs, it's easily worth 2-3x the price!

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I was just checking to see if you were using the Intel heatsink and fan. Question, How do you know that the material is losing its shape? Is it because you have reseated or was it like this when you took it out of the box?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Got this onw from newegg for Spire CoolWave II P4 Prescott LGA775 cooler:

Got this running on a P4 550 (3.4) clocked to 3.8ghz. Idle temp is 39c, loaded is 53c with Arctic Silver 5. WOW! It totally BLOWS AWAY the stock cooler which gets hotter than 70c! It is a little louder, not too bad, but it's not quiet either. And it's super cheap for how well it performs, it's easily worth 2-3x
Ok, you lost me with this reply. I thought you were using the one that came with the CPU. Did you get a retail version with the Intel heatsink both in the same box?

kataliz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
No I put the spire example because the guy was telling that the cpu's temp was 70C with the stock heatsink and fan (it's O/C by the way but I don't know exactly the normal temp for a lga 775 CPU)
The thermal material has lost its shape because I've tried to mount 2-3 times the heatsink and fan. It was difficult.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Ok, this makes more since. I agree with you that it is not easy especially the first time.

Did you get the CPU set in the retension bracket on the first attempt? I suppose you lined the arrow up correctly so that the CPU is in the socket the right way. If it is then leave that part alone. Its very easy to damage the pins in the slot. I dont think that you are getting contact with the CPU and HEatsink. If the thermal material is still on either/or the cpu or the heatsink it should still work because when you clamp it down its going to spread really thin anyhow. Take a long look at your instructions and make sure that you have properly fastend the mounting bracket to the MOBO and not left anything undone. YOu should feel the pressure and know when it seats properly by the click you feel

kataliz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
I'm not 100% sure that I've correctlt seated the heatsink and fan. The problem is that now I can't move it or remove it. I'll try again tonight.
Thank you for your help

kataliz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
thanks mozzartusm
anyway I'm looking for a site where I can see in detail how to mount heatsink and fan. In the gigabyte's manual the photos are really dark I don't understand anything

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
What fans do you have in your case?

<pre>Antec Sonata 2x120mm
P4C 2.6
Asus P4P800Dlx
2x512MB CorsairXMS3200C2
Leadtek A6600GT TDH
RAID1 2xHitachi 60GB
BENQ 16X DVD+/-RW
Altec Lansing 251
NEC FE990 19"CRT</pre><p>

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
I think you would be wise to listen to wusy's post. Those thermal pads that come with the Heatsink should only be used once. They are spread very thin the first time that you seat them against the processor. If you remove them and then reseat them, you might be TOO thin to fill some grooves in the heatsink/processor interface. It would be a good idea to apply some Arctic Silver 5 anyway.

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
For people who are new to PC, I'd recommend Arctic ceramique, so just in case you get any in places you don't want it, it's not going to hurt anything. And it's arguable that ceramique is better anyways, however it does have an annoying habit of bonding the objects after a long period of time, so when you're removing your heatsink be careful, odds are you'll pull the cpu off with it.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Are you the person that made the Sticky on how to OC the P4. If so, thanks it was very helplful to me back when I built my first system. I have now jumped over to the socket 775 platform and am learning it. Do you have any good links that go into detail on the BIOS of the this platform?

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Yes i wrote that guide, that was long before the launch of s775, and i stopped updating that guide a short while after launch of prescott, well simply because prescott has been nothing but a dissapointment for me(gamer) so far.

Overclocking is all basically the same, raise FSB slowly, use moderate vcore increases. And once you hit the speed limit, back down 5-10FSB. What board you got? Maybe i can pull up the bios of that board sometimes this week and check out some options in it.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
The first system that I started out on was a P4 3.0E 875Chipset. The things that are confusing to me on this new setup are the options that deal with this new video card technology. You still have the option to lock it at a chosen number but its not the same as the AGP's. It seems that 100 is optimal. Im running this mobo with a P4 550 {3.4}. Last night I OC'd my FSB to 1120 {40% OC} and the Memory Bus to 373.71MHZ. I think that it still has room to go higher.

Thanks again.

kataliz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
What if the thermal pad is too thin? I've checked it and it was not too thin I think
The CPU is now working at 40C
thank you