Sign in with
Your question

Laptop Performance drops when A/C unplugged

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
August 28, 2010 1:52:44 AM

Hi guys,
So I've tried to look into the power options to change this problem. I've set the "while on battery" Processor maximum and minimum state to 100%. I just want to be able to unplug and not have my frame rates and performance drop.
Thanks,
- John

Windows 7 Home.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2010 2:07:47 AM

Most laptops have features that throttle down both the GPU and the CPU when you run on battery in order to save power. For the CPU, the feature is called speedstep for Intel CPUs. You have to go into the BIOS to disable this feature. For your GPU since it's a NVidia card, you'd most likely have to go into the NV control panel and either look for power settings or a section called PowerMizer.

Note: your battery life will drop like a rock since both the CPU and GPU will run full tilt.
August 28, 2010 2:35:54 AM

I looked in the bios like 3 times, i don't see anything called speed step, then again my CPU in the bios is grayed out. I figure set up press f2 is bios
Related resources
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2010 2:43:31 AM

It might be listed under EIST or C1E. Try and find the power feature for your GPU since that is more important while gaming anyway. The CPU will, in most cases, override SpeedStep when you put it under load on battery or not.
August 28, 2010 2:49:14 AM

Theres not much i can do in this bios, change the date and time really. Boot menu. Not a whole lot.

But i did happen to download CPU Z again, just to see what changes when i unplug the A/C.
Its not the CPU
Its the GPU the shaders the memory and core both cut in half.

No i went into NVidia cntrl panel and i found "Power Management mode" it was set on "Adaptive" And i set it to "Prefer Maximum Performance.
But still hasn't changed anything.
a b D Laptop
August 28, 2010 3:07:21 AM

Ok... if you go into power management in Windows, see what happens if you change the power plan to high performance. The only other thing I can think of is Asus just has your laptop locked down pretty tight.
August 28, 2010 3:30:38 AM

Its def the powermizer thing, but i can't figure out how to disable it
!