Broken/changed .exe association due to virus

barber surgeon

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
I stupidly got the "Windows 7 Security Center" virus from an attack site that neither my browser (Firefox) nor Microsoft Security Essentials caught in time. I immediately knew what happened, but it had "hijacked" all of my programs to redirect to it (I'm guessing this lead to the broken association), so that I was unable to open my actual security program or Malwarebytes and clean up (I'm accessing the internet at work ATM).

I managed to identify the invading process, shut it down, and revoked all of its permissions which seems to have it in remission as far as interrupting things. It's still there, of course, though. Now when I try to open any executable, I am met with a permission error. I am no expert at all on these matters, but it appears as though the virus changed the exe association to direct to itself, and changing the permissions only nullified the effect of accessing it.

How can I go about setting exes to open correctly so I can get rid of this thing?

I haven't done much yet (I attempted a lengthy virus scan on my Linux laptop using Clam that failed miserably), so I can't rule a lot out so far. I do know that I do not seem to have the "command.com" tool that a lot of solutions for repairing the registry reference. I checked the directory and everything -- it doesn't seem to be there.

I have a recent restore point; would that help? Could I make use of the command line in Safe Mode provided it runs?

barber surgeon

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008

This sounds like a good thing to try. I didn't know about rescue disks (never had too many viruses). This would be a lot more convenient than one of my initial ideas of finding a Linux distro with a pre-installed AV and running a liveCD...

One other concern here with killing the virus first: the big reason my ClamAV scan failed was that it appeared to pick out every .exe on the hard disk indiscriminately. For all I know, this was just because Clam isn't as advanced as a lot of other options and really didn't know the difference, but I'm worried these files might have been singled as threats because they all point to the virus. If that's the case, might not AVG or another AV do the same (i.e. not really helping if it deletes all my exes)?

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Ive had this issue a couple of times on work computers and home computers that ive fixed for family.
Ive never had an issue with it actually deleting the .exe files. But, that's still not a guarantee...(aka try at your own risk ;) ) Randini is right thou it mostly affects a specific profile. Do you have another admin profile set up on that pc?

I personally run my scans off the rescue disk anymore. Trying it in safe mode, or running it with windows fully booted just never seems to get rid of it cleanly.

barber surgeon

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008

Unfortunately, no. I've never suffered a major attack like this because I'm generally pretty careful, so I was content with the Windows default "user as admin" setup. Is it too late to configure a separate account now due to the risk of the infection crossing over?

Rescue disk still seems like the best way to go. I'll try Randini's method to correct the association first, then (whether that works or not) clean from the outside. Thanks for all the help!

To restore the exe functioning you can go here and download the .reg file listed under exe -- this is a text file that has the needed steps to restore the default opening program for exe files correctly -- just download the proper .reg file to your desktop - right click and select Merge (should be at the top of the list) - This will run the reg file and fix it so the exe files properly launch again -- Afterwards you can run your AV products again from safe mode to get rid off any remnants off the virus.

barber surgeon

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
UPDATE: It looks like everything is going to be okay. Following Randini's advice first I managed to take care of the specific problem (now posting from affected computer). I'll now make several passes with the software you've all mentioned.

Thanks so much for the help! Glad that's over.