Sign in with
Your question

Connection Keeps Dropping Off

Last response: in Windows 7
December 18, 2012 1:13:04 PM

Help! Our main computer is downstairs a Windows xp the router and modem are connected to it (Cisco Linksys, modem Westell 6100). The upstairs computer is a Windows 7 with the adapter connected to it Linksys I believe. The upstairs computer keeps loosing the internet connection. I am computer iliterate and am lost with all the jargon on this website. Can someone explain to me what I need to do without alot of jargon?

More about : connection dropping

December 18, 2012 1:16:05 PM

wired or wireless?
m
l
Related resources
December 18, 2012 1:31:24 PM

have you tried to shift cable to new port on router?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 18, 2012 1:55:31 PM

there's too many things it can be to possibly point a finger at it - check the obvious first... cable is not crimped/broken, cable is not loose in the connection, units do not lose power/power sag

do both computers drop connection at the same time?

are you sure your computer is not infected with malware, causing the dropped connections?
m
l
December 18, 2012 5:46:57 PM

correon said:
have you tried to shift cable to new port on router?

router is not on the computer that loses power
m
l
December 18, 2012 5:49:55 PM

dingo07 said:
there's too many things it can be to possibly point a finger at it - check the obvious first... cable is not crimped/broken, cable is not loose in the connection, units do not lose power/power sag

do both computers drop connection at the same time?

are you sure your computer is not infected with malware, causing the dropped connections?

will check the obvious.... no, both computers do not drop the connection, just the one that has the adapter. How can I know if it is infected with malware...and what is malware?
m
l
December 18, 2012 6:09:39 PM

Why do you need an adapter? All netbooks, laptops and desktops should have an Ethernet plug. Your router should be plugged into that (RJ45- looks like a really wide telephone plug.)

Malware is malicious code. It can be as simple as a keystroke logger or as complicated as a virus . The thing to know is that it’s bad and you need to protect yourself from it.

Your computers need to be plugged into the router and the router into your cable modem or equivalent. The service connection is labeled “Internet” the computer side is numbered 1 through 4 normally.

If you haven’t already, download Avast or AVG and install them immediately. AVG is free, Avast is free for thirty days. Both are effective at protecting a computer and very user friendly.

Your Ethernet driver might need to be updated. The website for your computers manufacturer will have a listing of the current drivers under the service/ downloads section. Download them to your desktop and double click on them. They are self extracting files.

If you are surfing the web and doing your normal computer tasks on an Administrator login you will need to create a user level account and transfer all your files to that account. Websites you go to can exploit admin privileges to install programs directly to your hard drive.

XP is a great OS and is very stable but will not be supported anymore. You’ll need to update it to seven soon.
m
l
!