Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need helping picking monitor!!

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 3, 2011 1:04:07 PM

Hello all! long time reader but first time poster here. I am in the process of getting a new monitor currently and are stuck in between 2 monitors right now. I grab Acer A221HQV 21.5 LCD http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+- [...] Id=2596077 at my local store during black Friday for $ 88 bucks (after mail in rebate) I think its a great price for a 1080p screen but had a few concerns for this model... first I couldn't find much information online about this screen even on Acer's website. Even tho on the link say its doesn't have DVI-D with HDCP Input the listing outside the box say it does (I have not yet open and use it cuz i don't want to pay for restocking if its a really bad screen) and now I'm comparing to this other one ACER S201HL 20" LED Backlit for $ 79 http://www.amazon.com/Acer-S201HL- [...] B003UVCSZ6 Smaller screen, 720p no 1080p but with better overall reviews as well as LED backlight and better viewing angle.

So, I want to ask you guy's opinion on which screen should i go with?? Please help! thanks!

p.s. I am just looking between these 2 models since its most accessible choices near my place.

Best solution

a b C Monitor
December 4, 2011 12:58:17 AM

At that price they are both going to be the cheapest TN panels available. I am somewhat worried by the the A221HQV's viewing angles. Those numbers seem so bad that I have a hard time believing them.

Viewing angles do not refer to how far off center you can see the intended image. Usually they mean how far off center can you see an image that's roughly 1/10th as good as the original image.

So if something has a viewing angle of 170 (or 85 degrees off center) it's really not very good by the time you hit 75 or so. And if it has a viewing angle of 178 is good up to around 87 or so.

Going by that logic, a screen with a 90 degree viewing angle starts to go bad as soon as you move off 0. Companies get specs wrong from time to time. The only thing I can think of is maybe it uses a laptop panel?

Acer is pretty sure that the only stat that's selling these monitors is price, and I'd agree with them. I'd expect both of them to be recertified, and have a bad pixel or two.

Personally, I wouldn't stress out about it so much. They are both super cheap monitors and neither one is going to be very good. It's not like picking the right one will result in a vastly better experience than the other.

If I was looking at both boxes in the store, I guess I'd go with the s201hl just because the A221HQV sounds weird.
December 4, 2011 1:56:58 AM

thanks for the reply!! what you said is kind of what's holding on me back on opening the A221HQV but I'm not sure if I would regret picking a 720p model over 1080p model tho.... would it really make that much of difference on 720p vs 1080p? Since I'm looking to use the screen for a long time (I'm upgrading from a really old lcd screen so new to this whole HD thing)
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
December 4, 2011 7:38:45 AM

According to the specs, the ACER S201HL is 1600x900, so it's larger than 720p. They just use "720p" because it's a term people understand.

I'd say this is only a concern if you plan on watching 1080p (bluRay) movies on it. For regular computer tasks it should be fine.

HD is more or less a buzz word when it comes to monitors. 1920x1080 (1080p) is becoming the de facto standard resolution, so sometimes software is made to fit that resolution, but really the only time this comes up is with movies, and games that are console ports.

Since you're buying locally, if it might be possible to inspect the screen for dead pixels before you buy it. Other than that, I'd trust the specs on the box over what you see on the internet.

Just to warn you, Acer isn't exactly my favorite monitor brand. My ratings (from high to low, only for brands that are okay) go something like this:

NEC > APPLE > DELL > HP > SAMSUNG > ASUS > VIEWSONIC > ACER
m
l
December 5, 2011 1:30:12 PM

hmmmm i see... Thanks again!

Last thing, how would you rate LG, BenQ's monitor?
m
l
a b C Monitor
December 5, 2011 4:46:53 PM

NEC > APPLE > DELL > HP > SAMSUNG > ASUS > VIEWSONIC > BENQ > LG > ACER

Though I don't really know much about LG monitors, mostly because they've never made anything interesting, and they don't get very many reviews.
m
l
December 5, 2011 11:35:48 PM

I will keep those in mind thanks! :) 
m
l
December 12, 2011 11:39:10 PM

Best answer selected by dunnite.
m
l
!