Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows fails to start!

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 18, 2012 1:27:06 PM

After I accidentally disabled the monitor in the BIOS while trying to make it recognize HDMI to hook up my TV I pulled out the CMOS battery and was able to reset to default CMOS settings which brought back the screen display. Unfortunately now Windows fails to start properly! It starts up like normal but then gets an error message when Windows would normally start up, a screen that says Windows startup error recovery comes up and asks if you'd like to start Windows normally or launch startup repair. The startup repair always fails and says its unable to repair the computer automatically. If you choose to start windows normally it simply goes in a loop and again fails to startup.

I once selected to return to how it was to an earlier time that it said (when everything worked properly) but that didn't help anything.Does anyone know how I can get Windows to start up again after takin out the CMOS battery?

Thanks!

More about : windows fails start

a b $ Windows 7
December 18, 2012 1:37:43 PM

press f8 and boot in safe mode to disable drivers, restore from an earlier point
m
l

Best solution

December 18, 2012 1:39:16 PM

In the BIOS, go to Integrated Peripherals and then OnChip SATA Type. Change this to Native IDE and reboot. If it's a no-go try AHCI. See if Windows starts.
Related resources
December 19, 2012 12:20:57 AM

Best answer selected by mnguy.
m
l
December 19, 2012 12:21:32 AM

cball1311 said:
In the BIOS, go to Integrated Peripherals and then OnChip SATA Type. Change this to Native IDE and reboot. If it's a no-go try AHCI. See if Windows starts.

Switching to native IDE fixed it. Thanks a lot!
m
l
December 19, 2012 1:25:38 AM

Rather put $1500 into something that would blow an "iSLAC" away!
m
l
December 19, 2012 2:25:49 AM

Can you boot in safe mode?? That might help... Only other thing I can think of is go back into BIOS and toggle settings you changed to fix the screen
m
l
!