Can anyone help sync a Clie TJ27 with Linux and gnome-pilot?

January 4, 2005 6:34:30 AM

People keep titillating me with stories that it can be done. Web sites
claim it too. But I've NEVER had a USB Palm device (Treo, Clie) work
properly with Linux, only my old serial-based Palm III (but I've never
asked in this NG either). If there's someone who would like to take a stab
at helping me, I'd love to get this thing working... I'll post what I've
tried and take any suggestions.

Note: The serial device does mount correctly. The gpilotd setup utility
never recognizes it, that's all. Exactly what happened with my old Treo.

TIA if anyone wants to take a crack at this!

--
Here, in a large house, formerly a house of state, lives Mr. Tulkinghorn. It
is let off in sets of chambers now, and in those shrunken fragments of its

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards schrieb am Dienstag, 4. Januar 2005 04:34:

> People keep titillating me with stories that it can be done. Web sites
> claim it too. But I've NEVER had a USB Palm device (Treo, Clie) work
> properly with Linux, only my old serial-based Palm III (but I've never

Tell us details!

I use a Zire 71 with pilot-link and jpilot at a Suse 9.0 box.
First it was tricky, but the actual version 0.11.8 works fine.

On my box is Palm OS Desktop HOWTO in
/usr/share/doc/howto/en/html/PalmOS-HOWTO/
specially
/usr/share/doc/howto/en/html/PalmOS-HOWTO/pc-connect.html#PC-CONNECT-USB
and from there

2.3. USB Connection

USB access to Palm devices is relatively new. The Handspring Visor seems to
be well supported, and works with the pilot-link suite. Currently, the Palm
m500 series only works with coldsync, although pilot-link support is in
active development. Update: the current development version of pilot-link,
0.10.x, has support for USB devices. See the pilot-link section for more
about this release.

To use any USB device under Linux, you need to have USB support in your
kernel. You will also need the relevant modules available. Most (TODO:
Check which distros work out of the box) recent Linux distributions have
USB support enabled by default. To check your system, try the following
command as root:

modprobe visor

If you get no output from this command, then the module is available and you
do not need to recompile your kernel. If this does not work, try the
alternative usbserial module:

modprobe usbserial

This is used by some distributions, such as Redhat 7.0.

If you need to set up USB support in your kernel, the Handspring Visor with
Linux mini-HOWTO provides instructions. (TODO: Incorporate into this
HOWTO?)

Once USB support is set up, you should use device /dev/ttyUSB1 to
communicate with your PDA. Note that this device name only exists after you
have pressed the hotsync button on the cradle. You must press the button
before running the connection software.

If you have problems synchronising via USB, try an updated kernel. There may
be some timing issues with the USB driver. For example, I found that stock
Mandrake 8.1 did not work on one PC, but worked first time on a faster PC.
Upgrading to a stock 2.4.17 kernel solved the problem and worked fine on
both PCs.

and if you have nothing like that here are a few links:

http://www.sgml­-tools.org/HOWTO/Pilot-HOWTO/
http://www.pilot-link.org/
http://www.jpilot.org/
Gnome-pilot Website:
http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnome-pilot
KPilot Website: http://www.slac.com/pilone/kpilot_home

> Note: The serial device does mount correctly. The gpilotd setup utility
> never recognizes it, that's all. Exactly what happened with my old Treo.
Dont know that gpilotd.

HTH
Rolf

--
PGP Public Key für "Rolf Muth (inet)" auf http://pgp.mit.edu/
Bitte nur Textmail! KEINE WORD- oder HTML-Dateien!