Poll: Getaway video mode-Righty or Lefty?

Just a silly poll question for fun:

It seems most people follow a strategy in the video mode of straddling
the car over a lane divider and weaving left/right to avoid cars.

So, the question is: Where do *you* place your car-on the left lane
divider or the right?

I am a "lefty"

Jeff

Jeff Palmer wrote:
> Just a silly poll question for fun:
>
> It seems most people follow a strategy in the video mode of straddling
> the car over a lane divider and weaving left/right to avoid cars.
>
> So, the question is: Where do *you* place your car-on the left lane
> divider or the right?
>
> I am a "lefty"
>
> Jeff

As soon (and I mean "as soon") as video mode is started I get into 5th
gear and hug the left line. There just seems to be more room for error
there, but that might be just me.

Kirb

> Just a silly poll question for fun:
>
> It seems most people follow a strategy in the video mode of straddling
> the car over a lane divider and weaving left/right to avoid cars.
>
> So, the question is: Where do *you* place your car-on the left lane
> divider or the right?
>
> I am a "lefty"

Righty! Shift to 5th gear and ride the right divider line to 17M+
points!

During some video modes I never have to touch the flipper buttons! :)

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

I'm a righty.
... but who in here is the rebel and streaks all the way to the other
side to get the "EB" ?

Marcel

Righty. Horribly boring video mode once you know the trick. I set
mine to the lowest possible amount of time and it still takes too long.
Never get the EB showing up either, it has long reflexed into oblivion
:)

Jeff Palmer wrote:
> Just a silly poll question for fun:
>
> It seems most people follow a strategy in the video mode of straddling
> the car over a lane divider and weaving left/right to avoid cars.
>
> So, the question is: Where do *you* place your car-on the left lane
> divider or the right?
>
> I am a "lefty"
>
> Jeff

> Funny you mention that. I had only seen it appear a time or two on mine
> before I sold it. Hey Schudel, do you agree? :)

I agree! :)

Although I noticed it a few times once I first got it, if you
get EB during regular gameplay from the saucer, then it doesn't show
the EB
in the VM.

FT is a game that almost always has an EB streak across the VM.

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

In FT I found out that if you shoot 4 boats in a row the EB pops up
more often.

-c

Right side for me. Seldom ever crash get max all the time. Pretty easy
vmode once you learn to stradle the lines.

metallik wrote:
> Righty. Horribly boring video mode once you know the trick. I set
> mine to the lowest possible amount of time and it still takes too long.
> Never get the EB showing up either, it has long reflexed into oblivion
> :)

Right... I've only seen the EB in the VM for a game or two after doing a
hard reset of the software. It shortly disappears forever.

-wolffy

> Lefty! Shift to 5th gear before the mode actually starts and straddle the
> left lane for 27M+ every time.
>
> Woz

same here.

Kirb

cah

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2005

Jeff Palmer wrote:
> Just a silly poll question for fun:
>
> It seems most people follow a strategy in the video mode of straddling
> the car over a lane divider and weaving left/right to avoid cars.
>
> So, the question is: Where do *you* place your car-on the left lane
> divider or the right?
>
> I am a "lefty"
>
> Jeff

lefty here

Andy

left. I throw it into 5th from the beginning and get the max score for the
mode when completing it successfully (usually always- its an easy mode!)

Andy

Jeff Palmer wrote:
> Just a silly poll question for fun:
>
> It seems most people follow a strategy in the video mode of straddling
> the car over a lane divider and weaving left/right to avoid cars.
>
> So, the question is: Where do *you* place your car-on the left lane
> divider or the right?
>
> I am a "lefty"

Right.

Andy

"metallik" <lscott@dlptech.com> wrote in message
> Righty. Horribly boring video mode once you know the trick. I set
> mine to the lowest possible amount of time and it still takes too long.
> Never get the EB showing up either, it has long reflexed into oblivion
> :)
>

> Jeff Palmer wrote:
>> Just a silly poll question for fun:
>>
>> It seems most people follow a strategy in the video mode of straddling
>> the car over a lane divider and weaving left/right to avoid cars.
>>
>> So, the question is: Where do *you* place your car-on the left lane
>> divider or the right?
>>
>> I am a "lefty"
>>
>> Jeff

Left straddle to right straddle when needed and back. I've only seen
the EB on PinMame. 27+mil unless I've been drinking.

Mark

cah

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2005

moviereviews4fun@yahoo.com wrote:
> Left straddle to right straddle when needed and back. I've only seen
> the EB on PinMame. 27+mil unless I've been drinking.
>
> Mark

What decides whether you get, say, 26.6M or 27.2M (or somewhere in
between)? It seems to be arbitrary.

woz

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

"Wolffy" <sendnospamto_wolffy@gaspar.net> wrote in message

> metallik wrote:
> > Righty. Horribly boring video mode once you know the trick. I set
> > mine to the lowest possible amount of time and it still takes too long.
> > Never get the EB showing up either, it has long reflexed into oblivion
> > :)
> >

> Right... I've only seen the EB in the VM for a game or two after doing a
> hard reset of the software. It shortly disappears forever.
>
> -wolffy

I was wondering if there was an EB award in the video mode - guess I know
now.

Woz

CAH wrote:
> moviereviews4fun@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Left straddle to right straddle when needed and back. I've only seen
> > the EB on PinMame. 27+mil unless I've been drinking.
>
> What decides whether you get, say, 26.6M or 27.2M (or somewhere in
> between)? It seems to be arbitrary.

The score is determined based on how many of the programming bugs you
have encountered since power on. :)

>What decides whether you get, say, 26.6M or 27.2M (or somewhere in
>between)? It seems to be arbitrary.

It seems that the less turns you make and the quicker you get into 5th
gear get higher scores.

Kirb

kirb wrote:
> >What decides whether you get, say, 26.6M or 27.2M (or somewhere in
> >between)? It seems to be arbitrary.
>
> It seems that the less turns you make and the quicker you get into 5th
> gear get higher scores.
>
> Kirb

well, if that is true, we can add it to the bug list ;-) because i have
driven like a maniac (i call it the steve ritchie tribute ;-) and have
gotten under 27M and not had to turn once hanging on the right side
just watching cars in the far right lane just zip bye and been under
27M. then i thought it was how fast you got into 5th gear. doesn't look
like that is it either. how long you have been playing before starting
video mode? no clue what makes you score higher on that mode at all.

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

Koz Pinlicious wrote:
> kirb wrote:
> > >What decides whether you get, say, 26.6M or 27.2M (or somewhere in
> > >between)? It seems to be arbitrary.
> >
> > It seems that the less turns you make and the quicker you get into 5th
> > gear get higher scores.
> >
> > Kirb
>
> well, if that is true, we can add it to the bug list ;-) because i have
> driven like a maniac (i call it the steve ritchie tribute ;-) and have
> gotten under 27M and not had to turn once hanging on the right side
> just watching cars in the far right lane just zip bye and been under
> 27M. then i thought it was how fast you got into 5th gear. doesn't look
> like that is it either. how long you have been playing before starting
> video mode? no clue what makes you score higher on that mode at all.
>
> Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

That could very well be true. I guess I am not consistant enough to be
able to tell.

Kirb

So the game just plays without ever going into Redline Mania ?
Seems like a tournament killer! :(
Is there any way we'd all chip in to have someone fix these bugz ?

Marcel

Speaking clearly as a software engineer I've made this observation:

There are two timers running, one for the length of the video mode and
one for how fast to refresh the DMD (first gear vs. fifth gear). These
timers are independant of eachother. If you finish with 26 or 27
depends on which one times out first. If you are lucky enough that the
mode timer times out after the last speed timer times out (which in turn
updates your score) you get the 27.

-wolffy