What are the remaining componets i should pick?

yeehii

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
I want an amd socket 939 system with an nvidia 6800gt (so i can do sli)and so that i can do full on gaming at highest res / quality with only one card in and it is 3o fps.
I will put this onto an sli motherboard.

I want to do this as cheaply as possible, but if it is only a few extra dollars then i would pay the extra to get a reasonable performance boost.
I don't like the idea of getting only 512meg sticks of memory because I Want to keep this system for ages and later i will be able to stick 2 more sticks of 1 gig memory in (when the prices of that kind of memory have dropped a lot.) But I heard it is pointless getting 2 gig of memory now. So what do you think i should get?
I want the system fans to be very quiet too.
Please tell me which components I should get:

mobo
memory
amd chip
hdd
chassis
psu

I hope somebody will have fun answering me!

newdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
Well, what about dvdrom drives, speakers, video game, controlers. what type of Mobo is it. What type of socket 939 cpu is it. I would get the athlon 64 3000(socket939) because those things overclock like crazy, Just on air alone people have been getting those things to 2.2 to 2.4 ghz. Thats awesome considering it run at a 1.8 ghz. so when it's time to get a new Cpu you can just overclock it. Make sure you get some pc3700 memory to so you can get a good overclock.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Anandtech raves about the DFI nForce4 boards!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

yeehii

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
excellent!
That is just what i need to know. SO i should get that amd chip and then overclock it in a year or so so that i can keep up with the games. Especially i dont know about memory so that is very useful information for me about that kind of memory. Could you recommend a manufacturer/special one?

They really think dfi is great! ALso i read that sli is a bit problematic now but maybe this dfi one is good.

it seems like a good combination! thank you!
Any other ideas i would also like to hear.

Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
Overclocking and quiet operation don't go together,nor does overclocking and "lasting forever",worse it's much harder to overclock with multiple sticks of ram.For overclocking advice go to the Xtreme systems forum. BTW to overclock one must disable cool n quiet and as you seem to want a quiet system overclocking might not be a great idea.

Since you want this system to last I would wait for the second generation pci-e mobos and for the dual core Amd which are supposed to be available this year.

If you're going to overclock the Dfi lanparty nf4 sli-dr is the prefered mobo followed by the msi k8n neo4 platinum/sl;but if not the ga-k8nxp-sli or the asus a8n-sli deluxe are worth looking at.

It's much cheaper to use the value rams in the pc-3200 speeds than to shell out for the fasterram with tigher timings and the real difference is not all that great with amd systems,just make sure your ram is compatible with your mobo and from a decent company:corsair;crucial;mushkin;kingston;ocz;pdp systems(patriot).

The a64 3000+winchester is a great cpu;but the 3200+ is locked at a multiplier of 10 and is not that much more expensive,the same for the 3400+,one needs a decent HSF and as you want quiet operation I would look at zalman hsf,especially the zalman cnps7700-cu(really expensive,$50+ but also really good and quiet)

The case will depend upon your taste:the antec sonata is quiet(but needs another fan);the mge viper is a little gaudy;but has excellent features and comes with a 500 watt psu which seems of ok quality,the coolermaster centurion 5 is also nearly quiet(but comes with a worthless 350 watt psu.

The PSU: the seasonic 400 watt supertornado is quiet and extremely well made or the fortron source blue storm;but for overclocking the ocz powerstream models are the prefered PSU.

HD:seagate sata barracudas for cool and quiet operation or western digital raptors for fast operation or for the very well healed the maxtor atlases.

You should read the system guides at anandtech,btw if you're going to overclock don't get one of those cases with the cpu airducts-one cann't use them with the big high quality HSFs one should have for overclocking.

G

Go with that DFI board, I'm going too :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially a <b> Member </b>!! </font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't trust the opinions of rednecks, sorry.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

It's much cheaper to use the value rams in the pc-3200 speeds than to shell out for the fasterram with tigher timings and the real difference is not all that great with amd systems,just make sure your ram is compatible with your mobo and from a decent company:corsair; crucial; mushkin; kingston; ocz; pdp systems(patriot).
Don't go with the value RAM unless you AREN'T going to OC. If you're going to OC the system, then a good and relatively inexpensive option is <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-006&depa=1" target="_new">Patriot PDC1G3200LLK</A>.

PSU - look for a PSU that is <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20041223/index.html" target="_new">ATX12V v2.0</A>, like the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-459&depa=1" target="_new">Enermax Noisetaker 420W</A> or the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-934&depa=0" target="_new">Fortron Blue Storm 500W</A>.

Snaggle

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
Great ram is better;but really overclock a rig with 4 giggs of ram,keep it for a very long time and keep it quiet.To do these it would have to go for a mild overclock and value ram is good enough for that.

I think he should avoid overclocking if he wants that much ram and just upgrade the cpu.Realistically both amd and intel are likely to be using DDR II and certainly will be using both dual and multicore cpu within the next five years which means he should also buy just 2 gigs of ram and he might as well buy a good value ram and get them now as invest $800+ in four gigs when he could get 2 gigs of good value ram for $250+ which will likely be all he'll need for the next five years and spend the savings on a cpu upgrade or his second GPU.One should also tell him he'll be shortinging the life of his rig by overclocking and will have a noisy rig too and could fry the whole thing;though most likely just the PSU,mobo and maybe CPU.

If he want to keep it for a long time he should be avoiding overclocking and be getting a decent UPS to stop damage from spikes and dips in the power he'll be getting out of his wall socket...oh and one can melt 14 gauge wire while frying ones rig overclocking B(

I still think it's better to spend a little more on the LLK if he's going to do any OC. Agree some of the better value RAMS can do a slight OC, but wouldn't recommend to someone that doesn't have a lot of computer or OC experience.

Amount of memory depends on budget...1Gb (2X512) of the LLK will last long and perform well. By the time that the RAM becomes the chokepoint, you could get 2Gb (2X1GB) to replace. nF4 prefers not to have 4 sticks of RAM in the system and most boards will default down to 333Mhz for memory in this config.